Wiki Posts
Search

Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, AA EXP
Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls

What is the best way to get to Iguazu Falls from Sao Paulo? I noticed on this forum a local airline GOL. The flights from Sao Paulo to the falls have a connection and roundtrip is ~600+ BRL (~$330 USD) -> Fri night departure, Sun afternoon return.

Are there other airlines that go between Sao Paulo and Iguazu falls that I should check? Perhaps one without a connection?

Any hotel recommendations for a mid-priced hotel in the area?

How early before my departure from Sao Paulo should I arrive at the airport? How about at the Iguazu Falls airport on the return? Any problems, tips for doing a intra-Brazil flights as a non-Brazil citizen?

Advice for doing this trip alone?

How easy is it to get to the Argentina side? It all goes as planned I'd have Sat and a few hours Sun am. Am I better off, just visiting the Brazil side?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
TAM also flies to Iguazu, and some of their flights are non-stop. Prices seem to be about the same though.

I went to Iguazu in early November and stayed on the Argentine side (partly due to the cost of flights in Brazil). We did visit the Brazilian side of the falls on our first day and I would definitely recommend seeing both. I believe you can take a bus from Foz do Iguaçu (Brazil) to Puerto Iguazu (Argentina) and then another bus to the falls.

Steve
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, AA EXP
Any more suggestions / ideas for the falls? Particularly in terms of hotel accomodations?

Also, any idea on the cost of taxi's between the falls and the time it will take to get between them? With only having 1 full day, I thought a taxi over the bus system may be best.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
We paid about $40 for a private car with English-speaking driver for half a day.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
TAM has direct flights leaving on Fridays at 3pm or 11:55pm, coming back on Sunday at 1:30pm or 7:50pm. Cost is about R$600 for the round trip.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Thinking about doing Sao Paulo - Iguazco Falls on a Saturday but need to be in Asuncion by Monday night - any recommendations for a driver / guide?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ordogg
Thinking about doing Sao Paulo - Iguazco Falls on a Saturday but need to be in Asuncion by Monday night - any recommendations for a driver / guide?

Thanks!
Here's what I recommend: fly to IGU on Friday evening/Sat morning. Book a stay at Los Troncos Hotel, in Puerto Iguazu http://www.hotellostroncosiguazu.com/
The hotel is quite simple, but very cozy and in central Puerto Iguazu, a 10 minute walk from central Puerto Iguazu, but you feel like you are in the middle of the jungle.

The hotel staff are super friendly and will arrange a pick up at the airport by a private taxi (remis, like a UK minicab) and from there you can go straight to the Brazilian falls. Visiting the Brazilian side of the falls takes no more than 2-3 hours. From there the driver can take you to Los Troncos where you can relax and go to the Argentinean side of the falls in the late afternoon.

Do not miss a steak dinner at Pizza Color (or just Color, most recently) which makes some of the best steaks I've had in all of Argentina, at a ridiculously cheap price!

Then you can spend all of Sunday visiting the falls again (your ticket to the Argentinean side gives you a 50% discount if you return the next day) as there's a lot to see on the Argie side. I especially recommend the boat tour under the falls - expect to get drenched!

On Monday you can get the driver to drop you off at Ciudad del Este airport in Paraguay, where you can take a TAM domestic flight to Asuncion.

The whole trip is eminently doable, as long as you don't attempt to go from SP to Iguazu overland!!

It's one of the greatest places on Earth and not to be missed.

P.S: I have no affiliation with Los Troncos, but was so impressed by how lovely everyone there was that I've been recommending them ever since.

Also, no need for a guide, the parks are extremely well signposted and you'll find all the info you need there.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Note you have to be on a multi-entry Brazilian visa in order to do this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.