Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Separate tickets and visa-free transit at GRU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

We're planning a trip that involves a layover at GRU. Coming in on GOL (from VVI), and departing to MAD (on Latam).

One of us has an American passport, so my question is: Is it possible to do visa-free transit at GRU with separate tickets? And if so, we won't have any bags, but I wondered if Gol may nevertheless deny boarding?

Thanks!

Last edited by jamespvg; Feb 18, 2017 at 4:23 pm Reason: ETA: I did a search, but there seems to be some ambiguity about the separate ticket question!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Brazil specifically requires a transit visa where there are separate tickets so you'll be denied boarding even with no bags

http://nagoia.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/_transit_visa.xml
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Brazil specifically requires a transit visa where there are separate tickets so you'll be denied boarding even with no bags

http://nagoia.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/_transit_visa.xml
One Brazilian Consulate site says:
"Due to the limited validity of the transit visa (valid for a single entry only), we recommend that all passengers that require a transit visa apply for a tourist visa instead."
Another says:
"The transit visa (VITRA) is valid for a single entry in Brazil. This means that if you are using the same route on your way back home or going through another connection in Brazil on your way to another country, you will need to apply for another VITRA at a Brazilian embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over your final destination. Check the consulate or embassy of Brazil with jurisdiction over your final destination at http://www.portalconsular.mre.gov.br....2014.doc/view.

The requirements for a transit visa are almost the same as those for a tourist visa (VITUR). Tourist visas are usually valid for longer periods of time and can be used for multiple entries. Bearers of tourist visas may use their visa for transit in Brazil. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to check the possibility of applying for a tourist visa whenever possible."

afaik the price and the documentation required is the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.