Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Rendezvous with a friend @ GRU--help with best location?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rendezvous with a friend @ GRU--help with best location?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Question Rendezvous with a friend @ GRU--help with best location?

Hi There,

I've been getting some misinformation about the airlines/terminals in GRU and was looking for some help and clarification.

In a few months, I will be flying American to GRU and my friend will be flying Delta to GRU. We will then be meeting up and taking a domestic GOL flight together, a few hours after our arrivals.

It seems like Delta flights arrive at Terminal 2 in GRU and American flights arrive in at Terminal 3. It looks like Domestic GOL flights leave out of Terminal 1. Is all of this terminal information correct?

If so, is the best place for us to rendezvous around the check-in area A on Terminal 1 for our GOL flight? What is the best way to get from Terminal 2 and 3 after arriving and making our way through customs/immigration to the check-in area of Terminal 1? Is it easy to walk or are there inter-terminal shuttles? Also, have people had good luck with the Wifi at the airport? If so, we should be able to talk via Whats App until we connect.

Thank you for all of your help!! I appreciate it!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Who arrives first? There is actually a recheck area for GOL in Terminal 3 after exiting Customs, but you have to be within 3 hours of your GOL departure. If you friend arrives first, they could meet you there. Otherwise, check-in at Terminal 1 would be fine and OK to meet if you didn't bump into each other.

You can easily walk between all the terminals, perhaps 20 minutes max between T3 and T1. Another possibility, there is a Starbucks right after exiting the corridor from Terminal 3 and it would also be near Terminal 2.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Question

Thank QFrodo,

Really appreciate your response and insight.

My friend arrives first on Delta at 8:25 in the am (terminal 2)
I arrive second on American Air at 10:45 am (terminal 3).

Our flight on Gol is at 2:35pm in Terminal 1. Do you think it makes the most sense for my friend to just wait at the Starbucks until I arrive, and we go to Terminal 1 together? Is there seating there (since he'll probably have to wait 2 hours for me)? Also, is there more only one Starbucks (or is there more than one that could lead to confusion)? I want to to make sure I give my friend accurate directions so that there isn't any confusion.

Or, based on your suggestion at the GOL recheck area--should I have my friend meet me there around 11:15/30 once I exit customs so we can both recheck our bags there? How easy is it to find the GOL recheck area in Terminal 3 since he will be coming from Terminal 2?

Thank you for your help and suggestions! I really appreciate it! It's hard to navigate an airport that I haven't been to!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Given the more than 2 hour difference in arrival time your friend doesn’t need to spend all his/her time at Starbucks. He/she can explore the airport unless you have a lot of checked bags to lug around. It is easy to walk between all the terminals except Terminal 4 and there isn’t much at Terminal 4 anyway.

Terminal 3-Terminal 2(D)-Terminal 2(C)-Terminal 1(B)-Terminal 1(A) Terminal 4

There are a variety of stores and other eating establishments. As one exits the Terminal 3 corridor, there is a food court on the right and Starbucks is easily found, and there are plenty of seats. The only other Starbucks is just a small one on the upper level as you continue into Terminal 2. Much harder to spot.

The recheck area after Customs is straight ahead upon exit to the opposite side of the arrivals hall. One sees TAM first, and GOL and Azul are around behind it. Signage is good, so should be no problem. Coming from Terminal 2, your friend would need to go down one level and to the right.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by qfrodo
The recheck area after Customs is straight ahead upon exit to the opposite side of the arrivals hall. One sees TAM first, and GOL and Azul are around behind it. Signage is good, so should be no problem. Coming from Terminal 2, your friend would need to go down one level and to the right.
Having just tried this yesterday, be aware that the recheck area may only be used if Gol is part of your international ticket. If it's on a different PNR, you'll have to check in at Terminal 1 anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Smile

Thank you qfrodo and Rafka! This is very helpful.

I will have my friend come meet me at Terminal 3 at 11:30 (if my plane arrives at 10:45, I doubt I would be done with customs, immigration and baggage before then right)? I'll likely have him wait at the Starbucks to the right of the Terminal 3 exit, since it sounds like that is easy to find and there is seating there.

We will then walk from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1, since Rafka has pointed out that we cannot check our bags at the Gol Station.

Is the signage easy from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3? Sounds like my friend will just have to go down one level and to the right to walk there?

Thanks again for all the help! Really appreciate it!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by califlyer8
Is the signage easy from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3? Sounds like my friend will just have to go down one level and to the right to walk there?
Yes, it's very clearly signposted - I had never done it myself and had no trouble finding.

Regarding how long it'll take you through immigration and customs, 45-60mins sounds about right, since at that time you will have missed the bulk of the US/European arrivals.

Last edited by RafKa; Oct 7, 2015 at 7:15 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by califlyer8
GRU has three levels for T1, T2, and T3, the middle level being the main level that connects all three after Passport Control and Customs. Baggage is on the lower levels. Going to T3 from the Starbucks in the food court will bring him in on the middle level in T3. Escalators are adjacent to the doors where one enters from the street or parking garage. Elevators are also available, but small capacity and often a line will form to use them. There are two sets of escalators that face each other. Whichever you friend uses, once on the lower level turn away from the entry doors and move towards the back of the arrivals hall. Then turn to the right and go towards the far opposite corner if you plan to meet by the recheck desks even if you don't use them. Otherwise, your friend can just wait with others who are waiting for people to arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.