Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Layover time in GRU on MIA-GRU-SDU?

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I'm on AA on a flight from ORD-MIA-GRU, arriving at 7:05AM.

I'm about to book a separate flight on Azul from GRU-SDU. There's an 8:25AM option. Is this enough time to get between the AA terminal and Azul terminal? Would I have to go through immigration control in GRU, or would that happen at SDU?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:27 am

You will clear immigration and customs at GRU. If you have checked luggage you have to re-check it with Azul at T4.

1 hour 20 mins is too risky. Book a later flight to SDU.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Thanks. Is 1 hour 20 mins still tight if we're not checking any bags?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ChiCityFlyer
Thanks. Is 1 hour 20 mins still tight if we're not checking any bags?
You still have to get through passport control. Often several international flights, with hundreds of passengers each, land at roughly the same time, which means the single line (although for multiple booths in the end) can be quite long.
And after that, you have to get your bags through customs, which usually involves an X-ray, and occasionally an inspection by hand, and certainly another line.
Also, n.b.: I personally have been refused boarding on a domestic flight in Brazil with less than one full hour before departure.

Why take the chance?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Three years ago I flew EZE-GRU on 4M and booked a separate ticket GRU-SDU on Webjet, allowing a 3-hour connection. I was travelling with hand-luggage only. Based on that experience, I'd say 2:30 is the minimum if you need to clear immigration at GRU and then re-check-in, especially if you arrive during the morning rush hour (as was my case).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.