Be very careful in Major Brazilian cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be very careful in Major Brazilian cities

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
Would hate to think what a Rio FT-do might be like: perhaps more life threatening than cycling in Lagoa at 6:30pm with a state-of-the-art road bike!
The host might have to clean out the dust bunnies from under his bed first or someone's life might be at risk from a fatal sneezing attack.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by NPF
JB, re-read post #3 above, by boboqui ...
You both are obviously correct. I should quit the debate with her, if that is what it is.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by RafKa
Would hate to think what a Rio FT-do might be like: perhaps more life threatening than cycling in Lagoa at 6:30pm with a state-of-the-art road bike!
At this very moment Lagoa seems to be the safest place to be cycling with an expensive road bike, maybe anywhere in the world. For the last few days Lagoa has been overrun with Policia Militar and others. yesterday, for example there were PM on horses, PM on bicycles (those in excellent physical shape and mostly teams of one female one male), PM's walking, PM's in golf carts (mostly overweight) and PM's in cars with lights flashing (those at all the higher risk areas, also notably beside the memorial to Dr. Gold).

Because I am there every day when I am at home I have been mildly surprised to find PM's everywhere around Lagoa, not once was I out of sight of PM's. That has been true since two days after Dr. Gold was murdered and the chief of PM for the area was replaced. How long will that last? I do not know. However, there is nothing quite so assured as prompt, if temporary, reaction when somebody important is accosted/killed.

OTOH, lots of the regulars around Lagoa know me or at least recognise me. For years we have tended to group together when passing high-risk areas. The result for me is that i have never had any personal attacks while exercising. perhaps the odd attack while posting...

Hint: based on the current statistics and my own friends/family I suggest one not use expensive bikes here, nor display expensive smartphones. My own smartphone and Apple Watch are both concealed under clothing (I use long sleeve Toolbar shirts which actually help repel the hot sun even in summer).
Old May 29, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Hint: based on the current statistics and my own friends/family I suggest one not use expensive bikes here, nor display expensive smartphones.
How innovative.

Maybe that's why I don't worry. I spend time here among a demographic whose priorities are food, not adult toys.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; May 29, 2015 at 7:38 am
Old May 29, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
How innovative.

Maybe that's why I don't worry. I spend time here among a demographic whose salary is spent on food, not adult toys.
Of course, it's worth reminding that the demographics here in FT is comprised mostly of million-milers, platinums, and so on. People who are executives, skilled professionals, who often travel for work, and by virtue of their successful careers may have significant disposable income.

The fact that an FTer, by purchasing a $500 iphone, which may be an essential tool for work (sure, we can live without iphones, and we all remember the time when a pager was an object of desire, but it's undeniable how much smartphones have increased productivity), and instantly become a target for a knife attack in a tourist area of Rio is alarming to say the least, and justifies jbcarioca's (granted, a bit vocal) warning for increased caution in Rio. Suggesting that having anything other than a mid-90s Nokia phone makes you reponsible for bringing a knife attack upon yourself is like the all too frequent logic that the victim deserved the crime...

If this was a community for people looking to scrape by on a $100/month salary, I'm sure there would be no need to warn people about risks of mugging, but FT deals with the "frivolities" of loyalty rewards for air travel, luxury hotels, and so on... let's call it as it is, instead of pretending that a foreigner taking a photo of Lagoa on his/her iphone wouldn't attract unwanted attention, or that he/she is a fool for not walking around in nothing other than speedos/bikinis and havaianas or be guilty of bringing a knife atract upon themselves.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:11 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
We seem to be going in a pattern that every six weeks or so a borderline Omni thread appears about safety, politics, and/or lifestyle in Brazil.

End result is a difference of opinion on the travel experience in the country. While that is fine and expected, these threads ultimately show lack of respect for alternative opinion.

So for the month of May edition, we bid adieu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.