Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brasilia trip, where else to visit (besides Rio, SP)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

I've got a work trip to Brasilia a few months away (it will be late Feb). I've never been to Brasilia, but from what I gather, I should be able to see most of the points of interest during my planned work time there. So I am looking to interesting spots in Brasil that are relatively easy to check out from BSB (or on the way there).

I've been to SP (twice), and Rio (twice). I've also been to Buzios and Ilha Grande. So I am looking for somewhere new. Initially I thought I'd try to see some of the Amazon, since Brasilia is 'closer' to the Amazon. Of course further investigation shows that they are not quite so close.

Some additional information:

- I am male and will probably be travelling solo
- Security is not a huge concern, but warnings are appreciated. I have had no problem so far in Brasil at my previous destinations, and I don't want to eliminate an area only because of safety.
- Most interested in unique experiences or unusual destinations
- I will lean towards economy in terms of lodging and total trip cost, but can afford higher-end if it makes sense.
- Travel has not yet been booked, but likely I'll have ~4 days before work trip and maybe 1 day after. So not a lot of time. We fly Delta so can fly direct to BSB, or open jaw elsewhere with connections on GOL. Preference to a destination that is easy to fit into the schedule.
- Not looking for a beach trip per se, but if all else fails I do love to surf

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
If you want to stay closer, you can see the historic city of Goias, Chapada de Veiadeiros National park, Caldas Novas, all accessible by car.
Otherwise, fly to the Northeast to the beach (Salvador is probably easiest to access) or even Belem for a city trip with a culinary twist.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:22 am

Need more details on interests. You want unusual places but don't give details,such as you whether want outdoors, jungle tours, beaches, historic cities, or whatever. It's a big country. Keep flight costs in mind. If you're in Detroit, will you be flying Delta to GRU and then up to BSB? Delta does fly to Brasilia, but I believe you'd have to change planes in Atlanta first. "Economy" is not a budget. Brazil is expensive.

Why not invest in a guide book and peruse it for places that interest you? You might well find places you hadn't thought of. Your interests may not be the same as posters here.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:10 am

You could visit some of the historic Colonial towns in the beautiful mountains of Minas Gerais, such as Ouro Preto, Tiradentes, Congonhas. Fly to Belo Horizonte, see Sabara (Colonial town, now a suburb), and use the comfortable bus system to get around to the towns.
Another great choice would be Salvador, with great beaches, an interesting historic district, lots of music, and an African cultural heart. You could do day trips to Colonial river port Cachoeira/São Felix, the beach villages of Praia do Forte/Guarajuba, the island of Itaparica. There is also surfing..
These destinations all have comfortable pousadas in most price ranges.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 6, 2014 at 11:11 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I'll look into all of them. I hadn't really considered exploring outside Brasilia by car, that sounds really amazing.

Originally Posted by SoCal
Need more details on interests. You want unusual places but don't give details,such as you whether want outdoors, jungle tours, beaches, historic cities, or whatever. It's a big country. Keep flight costs in mind. If you're in Detroit, will you be flying Delta to GRU and then up to BSB? Delta does fly to Brasilia, but I believe you'd have to change planes in Atlanta first. "Economy" is not a budget. Brazil is expensive.

Why not invest in a guide book and peruse it for places that interest you? You might well find places you hadn't thought of. Your interests may not be the same as posters here.
I have a variety of interests. All those things sound enjoyable. I'd rather not narrow the range much because I want to see what others have experienced, or enjoy about this aprt of the world. I love surfing, but if I went here asking for where to surf, I might miss out on some other great ideas. I have gotten great advice here on FT, for both vague and detailed questions. This happens to be a more preliminary look to get ideas. I totally plan on doing my own research too, and have a great Brasil guidebook I am reading. But guidebooks can be just as overwhelming as the country itself to narrow down with, and are not as useful as personal experiences. plus you can't ask a guidebook a followup question!

'Economy' might not be a budget, but neither is 'expensive.' Both are subjective. I totally disagree that Brasil is expensive. My trips there have been cheaper than most North American destinations. I could state my budget better, I am looking for good value and am unlikely to splurge for luxury. But I could spend USD$1000 a day if I needed to. So I am not constrained by money really, but my attitude is one to get a good value from what I have. Realistically, if I had to put a $ figure on it, I'd like to keep things to around USD$300/day. But that should by no means keep me from considering more expensive options.

I expect to fly through ATL direct to BSB. I'd rather connect in the US. But I would have the option to fly to GRU, GIG, or elsewhere (even another country) if it gave me more time to see other areas.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by neuromancer
If you want to stay closer, you can see the historic city of Goias, Chapada de Veiadeiros National park, Caldas Novas, all accessible by car.
Been to Caldas Novas. IMO boring after the first couple of hours in the hot pool. Full of ugly high rise vacation apartments with multiple swimming pools, and repetitive beachwear/beach toy shops. And just FYI, I saw several accidents, with passengers waiting (for what/whom?) next to wrecked cars in the middle of hot-as-h*ll nowhere, on the long trip back to Brasilia by road, more accidents than I've seen in any finite distance, over my extensive road trips with local friends in many regions of Brazil.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 6, 2014 at 11:13 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:10 am

Also, regarding flights, the fact that most of your time is before the work in Brasilia, and the two areas of interest I mentioned.....
There is an AA flight from Miami to Salvador.
I believe there is a direct flight to Belo Horizonte as well.
You could then use a domestic flight to get to the DF for your work.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
- Not looking for a beach trip per se, but if all else fails I do love to surf

Thanks in advance
Go surfing in the Amazon

http://www.hellotravel.com/events/araguari-pororoca
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
Ha, ha, ha. Cute, boboqui.
The pororoca is, yes, a Brazilian oddity, but a rather dangerous one. Not all surfers have the ability or inclination to surf the Banzai Pipeline, Ghost Trees, Teahupoo, Shipstern Bluff.......or a pororoca.
On the other hand, lots of local kids, and tourists as well, surf off the beaches in Salvador.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:22 am
Original Poster

That Amazon surfing is AWESOME Thanks for sharing. I'm not quite that adventurous, but it sure would be cool to see!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Lonely Planet seems high on the Pantanal. Seems a short flight from Brasilia and a unique place. Any thoughts?

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/t...t/the-pantanal
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

After some research, I think I've narrowed down some options. The rainforest and wildlife really attracts me as a unique experience.

I am considering:
- flying into Campo Grande to see the Pantanal or Bonito
- flying into Manaus and organizing an Amazon experience (flight schedule to Manaus is not as appealing, but possible)

I will have 4 nights / 3 days, and am arriving Feb 28th, so it is the end of the rainy season. Any advice is appreciated

Here are some threads I have researched:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...itinerary.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...eperience.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ive-stops.html

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 11, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
To see much more animals easily (birds, crocodiles, mammals) go to Pantanal. In the Amazon you'll see fewer, but you'll see the pink dolphins and the rainforest which are not found in the Pantanal. March and such is probably more difficult to travel on your own in the Pantanal, so ask or arrange transfers by boat/plane if necessary.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
After some research, I think I've narrowed down some options. The rainforest and wildlife really attracts me as a unique experience.

I am considering:
- flying into Campo Grande to see the Pantanal or Bonito
- flying into Manaus and organizing an Amazon experience (flight schedule to Manaus is not as appealing, but possible)

I will have 4 nights / 3 days, and am arriving Feb 28th, so it is the end of the rainy season. Any advice is appreciated

Here are some threads I have researched:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...itinerary.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...eperience.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ive-stops.html
Insofar as a Pantanal trip, you don't have enough time. It will take most of one full day just to get to your destination fazenda (most are about 5 hours from Campo Grande by road; and not all CG flights are direct from Brasilia) or Bonito and one full day to get back to Brasilia. The Transpantaneira, if starting from Cuiaba, is often not passable in rainy season.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Insofar as a Pantanal trip, you don't have enough time. It will take most of one full day just to get to your destination fazenda (most are about 5 hours from Campo Grande by road; and not all CG flights are direct from Brasilia) or Bonito and one full day to get back to Brasilia. The Transpantaneira, if starting from Cuiaba, is often not passable in rainy season.
Thank you. I would fly through GRU to CGR, and arrive around mid-day. Then I'd have 4 nights. So the flight is easier than to MAO.

It sounds like I could have one full day in Pantanal, which I agree isn't much for the travel. Especially because it will be the end of rainy season, so travel is probably at it's slowest. Flying would improve the schedule, but sounds expensive (can't find actual numbers but basically you have to charter a small plane).

MAO schedule looks difficult too, but more because of the flights. There is a 2 day cruise here, which would work... http://www.rainforestcruises.com/lo-peix-amazon-cruise/

I could fly to BEL, and maybe see Ilha de Marajo and a short excursion up the river?

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 11, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.