Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help required for a Transit Stay at GRU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
The chances of encountering an Indian passport holder flying the exact same route with the same airlines? Slim. (Here or on your TA post, where btw, most routine Brazil answers are flawed)
Going to a country for which you need a visa (transit or tourist) without one, simply trusting in information you got on the phone from one agent.......priceless.
what else I can do, I have to make this trip, I can not miss it, in worst case scenario, I would not be taking the checked baggage, or would be dumping it at the Airport. To ease up on the worst case scenario, I am trying to get as much information, as I can get to make an informed decision.

Once I make this trip, I will update the information, so that nobody else suffer from the same feat, I am going through.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Please do let us know what happens. It seems you are in that proverbial spot of being caught between a rock and a hard place. You can't get solid information from either the airlines or the embassies and no one on here, so far, has been in your situation. I would estimate your chances as slim to none.

Whether or not you have checked baggage, the first thing is that the time at GRU exceeds the allowable transit time frame. That alone may cause the airline to not board you on the first flight from MEX.

Another aspect is whether your first airline can issue an acceptable boarding pass for Qatar. If not, you would have to exit airside to obtain one and that requires the visa. This also would likely prevent boarding on your first flight from MEX.

Airlines can face substantial fines if they do not follow the rules and procedures. When I leave the US for Brazil, my documents are checked twice, once at checkin and once at the gate. I cannot obtain a boarding pass via the web, it just gives me a message that it has to be obtained at the airport and the travel documents have to be checked.

You say you have to make this trip, I would suggest you start preparing a back-up plan if one is possible, even to the extent of abandoning this booked trip and booking something different that will result in less or no problems travel document wise.

Good luck.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:57 am

"Many hours" is vague. Doesn't say unlimited. I've read max is 7 hours. And there is the question of baggage. Best to contact Brazilian embassy NOW. Even call the Indian embassy in Brasilia w/Skype, and your airlines. Don't rely on wishful thinking.

Worst case scenario is not being let on your flight to Brazil, or being detained and turned back at GRU, with no refund. I worked at the American consulate in Rio years ago. No airport visas.

Last edited by SoCal; Sep 15, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Poster

I have contacted the Brazilian embassy, have sent them emails after emails, What they says is " As long as You dont enter in Brazil, you dont need transit Visa". Period.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by vikas51013
I have contacted the Brazilian embassy, have sent them emails after emails, What they says is " As long as You dont enter in Brazil, you dont need transit Visa". Period.
And as far as it goes, that statement is correct. However, as pointed out in other posts, there may very well be circumstances that would require you to enter Brazil in the course of your trip. And if your first airline interprets the situation that you will need to enter Brazil, you won't get to board.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:15 am

Timatic (the system airport agents use to look up visa info) does not seem to specify a time limit on transit without a visa (TWOV) - so you should not have a problem. It is always a good idea to have a phone agent make a note in your record that you are a transit passenger and not entering Brazil.

FYI - There seems to be a regulation that there is a 7 hour limit but this is not noted in Timatic and the only issue is whether you will be allowed to board you plane. Once you are in Brazil you just follow the transit signs and you will not have any issue. I am quite confident you won't have an issue - but a zealous airline agent might give you a hassle.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

I have talked to GRU airport and per the person on the phone,. "When you will collect baggage at GRU you will go to custom police from their you will proceed to Qatar airways , in this transit there is no visa required."

INFORMATION - GRU AIRPORT
Telephone Information Service:
Telephone11) 2445-2945

Now, do you think, it really is right? As I understand, Custom is after immigration, or in GRU, we have a sepearate arrangement.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:13 pm

That doesn't sound right to me but if it came from the horse's mouth, I guess you have to believe it. My concern would be that the person you spoke to didn't fully understand your problem. I think some good additional points have been brought up.

At this point I think you should mail your luggage if possible. That alleviates one problem, though its probably expensive. My next step would be to call AeroMexico (or better yet email, so there is a record) to verify that they will indeed let you board. Your issue will be having a connection with a totally different airline that is a day after you land. Even though its a 16 hour layover a big sticking point might be that its date is the next day. Like someone else said, every time I fly international they check my visa twice. I think there is a large fine if an airline flies you to a country and you can't get in due to no passport or visa.

With those 2 things completed, I would just fly there, buy a club pass, maybe sleep in the hotel, and lay low. Since you will be there for 16 hours certainly shifts will change and no personnel will probably realize or even care for that matter how long you have been there. If you are paranoid after 8 hours go change your shirt, shoes, and put on a hat. They will never know.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:21 pm

GRU connection - two different airlines

I'm in a similar boat next week. I have two separately ticketed flights with a 5 hour layover in GRU. Am I going to be able to check in airside by going directly to the gate?

My original assumption was this was no problem provided I was only carrying on luggage (I'm going to ship home all but the carryon allowable amount.

Is anyone able to confirm this is correct?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:21 am

I have talked to GRU airport and per the person on the phone,. "When you will collect baggage at GRU you will go to custom police from their you will proceed to Qatar airways , in this transit there is no visa required."

INFORMATION - GRU AIRPORT
Telephone Information Service:
Telephone11) 2445-2945

Now, do you think, it really is right? As I understand, Custom is after immigration, or in GRU, we have a sepearate arrangement.
Brazilians are very helpful. Not always correct though.
The next person you talk to may have a different "opinion".
Even if you were to get it in writing, with the person's name and official position affixed, it wouldn't do you much good once you have begun the journey if that person turns out not to be correct.

IMO The airlines in question should be the ones to consult, not some 'salario minimo' airport functionary delegated to answering phones.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Brazilians are very helpful. Not always correct though.
The next person you talk to may have a different "opinion".
Even if you were to get it in writing, with the person's name and official position affixed, it wouldn't do you much good once you have begun the journey if that person turns out not to be correct.

IMO The airlines in question should be the ones to consult, not some 'salario minimo' airport functionary delegated to answering phones.
It is a vicious cycle., Airline ask me to contact embassy, embassy asked me to contact Airport, Airport provided an answers, but again, it is not true.. Right Analogy.. There is nothing Right in this world , it is all perception.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:41 am

I can't imagine that some Brazilian semi-English-speaker on the phone had any easier time understanding your situation than I have had here and in your similar written posts on other forums, so I am not surprised there has been some further confusion created.
If I were in your situation, I would get a guarantee from the airline taking you into Brazil from Mexico that you can board that first flight, and that your luggage is checked through (neither of which you have ever confirmed, on any forum --just "I heard"--, or that you intend to travel just with carry-on items). And from the Quatar airline that you definitely can go from the first flight into the transit area and from there onto their flight, again with any luggage being taken care of without your having to claim it and go outside the transit area to check in for the second flight.
With two separate tickets and checked luggage, I do not believe this is possible.
Without having a guarantee, I would change the timing of the trip to allow getting at least a transit visa. I would not play around with 'possibilities'.
Good luck.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I have spoken thrice to GRO (Sao Paulo) airport customer care number. Just now we have spoken to Migrant support office at terminal 1 of GRU airport and had the conversation with Mr. XXX. He clears that once you go to the Immigration, you can show your onward tickets to India and communicate to the officer that you are transiting to terminal 3 to catch Qatar airways flight to New Delhi-India. Officer should allow you and then you may proceed to terminal 3 via shuttle or walking. Though we have done our piece of work here by confirming with them again, however, you can also get in touch base with them @ Telephone # +55 11 2445-4719. Does it make sense?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:26 pm

I have spoken thrice to GRO (Sao Paulo) airport customer care number. Just now we have spoken to Migrant support office at terminal 1 of GRU airport and had the conversation with Mr. XXX. He clears that once you go to the Immigration, you can show your onward tickets to India and communicate to the officer that you are transiting to terminal 3 to catch Qatar airways flight to New Delhi-India. Officer should allow you and then you may proceed to terminal 3 via shuttle or walking. Though we have done our piece of work here by confirming with them again, however, you can also get in touch base with them @ Telephone # +55 11 2445-4719. Does it make sense?
No it does not, IMO. Again I think all the information has not been accurately communicated in order to get an accurate reply. Did you specifically tell this person what passport you hold and that you have no tourist visa and no transit visa? I think not.
"once you go to the Immigration, you can show your onward tickets to India and communicate to the officer that you are transiting to terminal 3" and he will ask to see your passport with your visa stamped in it, not just your onward tickets. "He should allow you", 'should' being the operative word, 'should' after seeing your proper visa (which you do not seem to have gotten), but entry is always at his discretion, his personal decision at that moment, even with a visa, and without a visa, IMO, he will not allow you to pass through Immigration and enter the country. If you pass Immigration, what guarantee does any Brazilian official have that you would go to Terminal 3 by shuttle and not to Jardins or Santos or Rio without a visa or prazo, maybe cancel your onward tickets and perhaps even stay illegally to work until granted an amnesty for permanent residence?

I did however, find this recent quote:
Originally Posted by qfrodo
"Also, the information desk in T3 confirmed that one could move between T3 and T2 and T1 airside."
But this does not take into account your luggage situation, which you have not yet clearly defined here. If you have to claim your luggage and recheck it, this airside movement ability won't do you any good.

However, it's your ticket money and your loss, so don't expect anyone else to make long distance calls on your behalf.
If your checked luggage is not able to be checked all the way through, take only carry on luggage to stay airside or postpone the trip until you can get the required visa.
I've been saying essentially the same thing since you first posted, but you seem to insist your problem with lack of visa magically conform to some idea you have of the way you'd like things to work, so I'm done here. Boa sorte e boa viagem.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Sep 22, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 am

VidaNaPraia is correct. They are not going to let you into the country with simply your word that you promise to check your bags and go back in. Any moving you do will be air side. You are not going to be able to leave and recheck your bags without going through immigration. Like I said, mail your bags and I think all of your problems will go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.