day trip to IGU + MAO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

day trip to IGU + MAO

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Agree on the time and energy, but at-least cost will be FF miles.

"Be very careful at the top of the Seleron steps." - anything outside the 'use common sense while travelling' to be ware of here?

Obrigada/o again for all the helpful hints!
Old May 23, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by krisk13
"Be very careful at the top of the Seleron steps." - anything outside the 'use common sense while travelling' to be ware
Yes. Recent reports by tourists of armed robberies.

Originally Posted by krisk13
Obrigada/o again for all the helpful hints!
"Obrigada/o"
Hermaphrodite? :-0
Old May 28, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: FT
You'll find many views about the two sides of the falls. I mean the falls. Not the other stuff each side has.

When I did my research, I had less than 24 hours for the falls and that was it. No other option. Factor 12 of that as darkness and my time was limited.

From what I could glean, the Argentinian side allows you to get close to the falls in many places. You get the best views at the devils throat.

This area photo shows what I am talking about.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2104465

Track the walkway put from the top of the image.

It does not allow you to see the extensive panoramic views but does offer some reasonable panoramic views.

The Brazilian side allows you to get very close in the area towards the devils throat but you get to see a step type fall and you can partially see north from the platforms over the water but the view is ubstructed by the spray.

The little red hut in the image on the bottom is where you can see the falls up close on the brazil side and where you can see the step area, there are nice walkways.

See the first two images in this link

http://luxetravelreport.com/travel/6...azu-falls.html

Now I was not interested in jungle tours or things unrelated to the falls.

The boat ride was not permissible for insurance reasons and sadly, so was the helicopter ride.

So I settled that I would rather spend time at three different times of the day on the Brazil side and buck up and stay at the Belmont des Cataratas in the park.

Best choice for me.

I was able to spend about 2 hours walking around before watching the sunset over the Argentina side. The hotel was great and I had dinner on the terrace with a view of the falls in the moonlight.

Was up early to watch the sunrise and then had some breakfast and went back to see the falls in the best sunlight. This was around 11 looking towards the Argentina side. Then had to take my flight to Rio for 2 nights before my business meeting.

I personally, from my research, think both sides are great and just don't agree that one can say one side is better than the other. Perhaps one side has more other activities that I could careless about but the falls from the brazil side was jaw dropping.

Having stayed in the park at the hotel, 70% of the time I spent at the falls was almost BY MYSELF. Not one person around since the park closes but hotel guests can stay. In fact, I'll do a tr when I get my shiit together but it was at 10:30 on the day I left when I actually saw more than 10 people looking at the falls.

This was on March 28th of this year and I had perfect weather both days. Not a cloud in the sky.

Don't worry if you can only do one side with limited time. I was bloody impressed and even had a good ribeye dinner too...and the Brazilian beef is not too shabby.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
You'll find many views about the two sides of the falls. I mean the falls. Not the other stuff each side has.

When I did my research, I had less than 24 hours for the falls and that was it. No other option. Factor 12 of that as darkness and my time was limited.

From what I could glean, the Argentinian side allows you to get close to the falls in many places. You get the best views at the devils throat.

This area photo shows what I am talking about.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2104465

Track the walkway put from the top of the image.

It does not allow you to see the extensive panoramic views but does offer some reasonable panoramic views.

The Brazilian side allows you to get very close in the area towards the devils throat but you get to see a step type fall and you can partially see north from the platforms over the water but the view is ubstructed by the spray.

The little red hut in the image on the bottom is where you can see the falls up close on the brazil side and where you can see the step area, there are nice walkways.

See the first two images in this link

http://luxetravelreport.com/travel/6...azu-falls.html

Now I was not interested in jungle tours or things unrelated to the falls.

The boat ride was not permissible for insurance reasons and sadly, so was the helicopter ride.

So I settled that I would rather spend time at three different times of the day on the Brazil side and buck up and stay at the Belmont des Cataratas in the park.

Best choice for me.

I was able to spend about 2 hours walking around before watching the sunset over the Argentina side. The hotel was great and I had dinner on the terrace with a view of the falls in the moonlight.

Was up early to watch the sunrise and then had some breakfast and went back to see the falls in the best sunlight. This was around 11 looking towards the Argentina side. Then had to take my flight to Rio for 2 nights before my business meeting.

I personally, from my research, think both sides are great and just don't agree that one can say one side is better than the other. Perhaps one side has more other activities that I could careless about but the falls from the brazil side was jaw dropping.

Having stayed in the park at the hotel, 70% of the time I spent at the falls was almost BY MYSELF. Not one person around since the park closes but hotel guests can stay. In fact, I'll do a tr when I get my shiit together but it was at 10:30 on the day I left when I actually saw more than 10 people looking at the falls.

This was on March 28th of this year and I had perfect weather both days. Not a cloud in the sky.

Don't worry if you can only do one side with limited time. I was bloody impressed and even had a good ribeye dinner too...and the Brazilian beef is not too shabby.
Thank you very much for the detailed info.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr

What is the hotel in the park and relative cost?

Will a shorter trip still be thinkable? Using FF miles, I can get in at 310p and out at 530a, and sunset is to be 602p. I've heard a few hours on the Brazil side is enough, arrive by 4p -- but with sunset at 6p (and dusk end at 725p), it would seem a stay in the hotel might be necessary - agree/disagree?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:42 am

So, eddieflyer, you would have a few hours of daylight to see the Brazilian side of the park and take some photos, and the freedom to walk around the hotel grounds and park in the dark if you choose to stay there.
The hotel in the Brazilian park is the Bourbon Cataratas. About U$210+/night maybe.
For this, you would spend an hour getting to the airport in Rio, at least an hour in the airport to check in, and anywhere from 4 to maybe 8+ hours en route, depending on stops and layovers for your ff miles flight. And wake up in the middle of the night to get a 5:30 am flight to do the same getting back to Rio.
If that sounds like a reasonable use of your time, go for it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AP 75k
Originally Posted by eddieflyer

Will a shorter trip still be thinkable? Using FF miles, I can get in at 310p and out at 530a, and sunset is to be 602p. I've heard a few hours on the Brazil side is enough, arrive by 4p -- but with sunset at 6p (and dusk end at 725p), it would seem a stay in the hotel might be necessary - agree/disagree?
Keeping in mind there is another 30 min bus ride from the entrance of the park to the falls. You'd probably be at the trail at around 4:30-5pm at the earliest. The last bus back to the entrance of the park is also around 6:00-6:30pm (if you are not staying at the Cataratas). You'd have about an hour to hour and a half to go through the trail. (Considering you will spend 10? hours to get there and back.) Maybe if you can arrive early in the morning, it'd be more feasible.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by eddieflyer

Hotel das Cataratas, Rodovia Br 469, Km 32 - Iguaçu National Park, 85853-000, Foz do Iguaçu, Brasil
Tel: (55) 45 2102-7000, Fax: (55) 45 3574-1688
Email: [email protected] | www.hoteldascataratas.com

Room total R$ 910,00 BRL
Room tax & service charge R$ 123,30 BRL
GRAND TOTAL R$ 1.033,30 BRL

This was in March....so about US$400 all in.

Keep in mind, my wife is likely never going to come here with me and therefore was OK with my splurging as part of my bizcation. when our meeting was supposed to be in J-burg, she was ok with 1500 a night at the londolozi lodge too...[breakfast was included but dinner was not]. i had a great ribeye and a few beers and my dinner on the terrance overlooking the moon lit falls was 112R$. also had 4 beers in the lounge for R$42.

id do a TR of this and other places in Rio but some actions around this place mean no more TR's from me for a while.

Last edited by mkjr; Nov 19, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.