Wiki Posts
Search

Buying WC Tickets from Second/Third Parties

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Buying WC Tickets from Second/Third Parties

Hi All,

Decided to jump on the opportunity to attend the WC in Brazil. Went ahead and placed my AA tix on the 5-day hold while I try to finalize all hotels/logistics/etc.

Hardest part is obviously the WC tickets as I already missed the initial rounds/lottery/sale periods. I'll be in Sao Paulo from June 23-July 3 and was hoping to attend one of the matches then. All tickets are sold out (obviously) and none are up for re-sale on FIFA yet, but I have found a couple (ridiculously priced) on stubhub, razorgator, ebay, etc.

My question is, how safe is it to buy from these other parties. I heard that the buyer's name will be tied to the ticket, etc. and that it is not transferrable without FIFA's permission. Also, what about delivery and how will that work?

Anyone have any insight or advice? Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by nsmn4945; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:02 am

I have been to the last two World Cups and always bought tickets from other parties. Both times, I have worried about the name needing to be tied to the tickets, and both times for naught. The mechanics of getting so many people into the stadiums is challenging enough - I cannot imagine, from a practical point of view - that adding name and passport checks could possibly be on the docket. I know what it says, but I imagine that is just FIFA wanting, as always, to not relinquish one cent it can take in. And I won't get started on FIFA here.

For this year, we have purchased all of our tickets from Stub Hub. We have had excellent luck with them for other events (but never the WC)and figure that the absolute worst case is that we get our money back.

The ticket on the site are very pricey and it's hard to determine the sweet spot about when to buy. If Brazil keeps having riots, the prices may go down sooner than later.
We have also seen prices drop dramatically after the early rounds, when fans or certain teams give up tickets. I'm not willing to risk that, though.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mickidon
For this year, we have purchased all of our tickets from Stub Hub. We have had excellent luck with them for other events (but never the WC)and figure that the absolute worst case is that we get our money back.
Thanks for the info!

For the tickets you bought on stubhub or other parties, are you planning on having the tickets delivered to your home or to your hotel/lodging in Brazil? Just wondering how that part of the equation works out. Thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by nsmn4945
Thanks for the info!

For the tickets you bought on stubhub or other parties, are you planning on having the tickets delivered to your home or to your hotel/lodging in Brazil? Just wondering how that part of the equation works out. Thank you!
Here is what Stub Hub sent me....it should answer your questions:

FAQ’s:
1. When can I expect to get my tickets?
Your tickets are guaranteed to be delivered at least 1 week prior to the start of the tournament. In all likelihood, your tickets will be shipped to you earlier than this date; however, our expectation is that you will have your tickets no later than June 1st. We will be in contact with you regarding the status of your order as we get closer to the tournament.
2. How will my tickets be delivered to me?
Once your tickets are ready to ship we will contact you, via preferred method of contact, to confirm the location that you wish the tickets to be delivered to. Your tickets will be shipped using UPS and we will update you regarding your specific tracking number once the tickets are in transit.
3. What if I am going to be traveling or already in Brazil?
If you are already in Brazil or the date is getting close to you traveling to Brazil, please contact us at [email protected] and we will coordinate delivery with you to make sure you get you your tickets wherever you are.
4. The FIFA website indicates that you must have your name on your ticket and a passport for verification. Does that mean I will not be able to gain access to the stadium?
Keep in mind, since you’re buying these tickets from someone else, his or her name may appear on the tickets. The name on the tickets does not matter, as the venue will only scan the barcodes on the tickets.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you thank you for the info! Exactly what I was looking for.

flyertalk never fails
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
FIFA is the only authorised seller of tickets for this World Cup. I'd be wary about any third parties claiming to or selling tickets.
Old May 3, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Risk tolerance for potential fraud from unauthorized third parties, as well as philosophical aversion (or not) to the WC's official organizers are two key factors in considering the purchase (or not) of an official hospitality package.

That is, aside from price. From what I have seen from a number of third-party ticket sites, for certain games and for certain categories, they are sometimes less competitive than some of these hospitality packages.

As a futebol fanatic I was already going to a number of WC games at face value from the official ticket phases, but wanted to go to another match for which tickets were not available. An official "hospitality package" from the FIFA site, which includes Category 1 match tickets, as well as access to a hospitality area with an open bar and snacks/buffet, three hours before the match, and two hours after, was actually more competitive than "just" the match tickets for the same category from unofficial sources. So I sprung for the package.

(Please note that there are different hospitality packages for the same match, with different pricing, and different beverage and food options, and their availability changes every day.)

Last edited by marcos123; May 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by marcos123
Risk tolerance for potential fraud from unauthorized third parties, as well as philosophical aversion (or not) to the WC's official organizers are two key factors in considering the purchase (or not) of an official hospitality package.

That is, aside from price. From what I have seen from a number of third-party ticket sites, for certain games and for certain categories, they are sometimes less competitive than some of these hospitality packages.

As a futebol fanatic I was already going to a number of WC games at face value from the official ticket phases, but wanted to go to another match for which tickets were not available. An official "hospitality package" from the FIFA site, which includes Category 1 match tickets, as well as access to a hospitality area with an open bar and snacks/buffet, three hours before the match, and two hours after, was actually more competitive than "just" the match tickets for the same category from unofficial sources. So I sprung for the package.

(Please note that there are different hospitality packages for the same match, with different pricing, and different beverage and food options, and their availability changes every day.)
I tried to buy hospitality package tickets because, as you point out, the prices
were in line with those from secondary sources. Unfortunately, FIFA does not
offer hospitality packages in odd numbers because of "seating issues." The food is a buffet and, as they control pretty much all of the tickets, I don't know why they can't figure out how to sell in odd numbers, but I got stuck as a result of this policy.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SkyTeam Elite Plus
In that case, your best bet would be to gauge interest in that particular game and see if someone else would want to go. Which game is this? Bigger games have a better chance of a suitor.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by UnaCervezaPorFavor
In that case, your best bet would be to gauge interest in that particular game and see if someone else would want to go. Which game is this? Bigger games have a better chance of a suitor.
Already bought tickets via the secondary market. Pretty much everyone but
FIFA seems to be able to sell in odd increments.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:46 pm

Already bought tickets via the secondary market. Pretty much everyone but
FIFA seems to be able to sell in odd increments.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I'm looking to buy a ticket to the SF in Sao Paulo and might need to go that route. Did you use a legit site like StubHub? I saw a couple others (like Viagogo) that 'guarantee' the ticket but you never know..
Old May 10, 2014, 9:54 am

Interesting suggestion. If anyone decides to try this via the hospitality package route - for the already stated reasons that the prices are largely in line with unofficial third-party sites, no risk of fraud coming from an official source, along with the open bar and buffet - you won't have any potential problems with a changed guest list, as, of course, they are your 'guests' in the first place, but also since, unlike 'regular' tickets, hospitality tickets do not bear the individual ticket-holder's name (they all bear the host's).
Old May 10, 2014, 2:31 pm

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I'm looking to buy a ticket to the SF in Sao Paulo and might need to go that route. Did you use a legit site like StubHub? I saw a couple others (like Viagogo) that 'guarantee' the ticket but you never know..
Yes, I used Stub Hub
Old May 13, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by marcos123
Interesting suggestion. If anyone decides to try this via the hospitality package route - for the already stated reasons that the prices are largely in line with unofficial third-party sites, no risk of fraud coming from an official source, along with the open bar and buffet - you won't have any potential problems with a changed guest list, as, of course, they are your 'guests' in the first place, but also since, unlike 'regular' tickets, hospitality tickets do not bear the individual ticket-holder's name (they all bear the host's).
Exactly. And for a QF/SF game, it won't be hard to shift that ticket for face value. In fact, I'd think you can probably get more but I do not condone touting.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:11 am

I tried to buy hospitality package tickets because, as you point out, the prices
were in line with those from secondary sources. Unfortunately, FIFA does not
offer hospitality packages in odd numbers because of "seating issues." The food is a buffet and, as they control pretty much all of the tickets, I don't know why they can't figure out how to sell in odd numbers, but I got stuck as a result of this policy.
You may have already procured your tickets, but just saw that there are some (albeit a distinct minority, and the higher echelon levels at that) packages with odd number sales now available (and not just an odd number of 1!).

Why it took them this long to offer this makes no sense for the reasons you cite, and the limited additional flexibility is undoubtedly due to attempts to promote their last remaining packages, but wanted to flag this for you and others in this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.