Search

International connection times in GRU?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
International connection times in GRU?

Hello Brazil forum,

I'm looking into flights to BUE, and thanks to some ITA tricks I noticed that a route like "UA IAD UA GRU F" (and vice-versa on the return) be the most affordable way to go. I have a few connection time options in each direction:

IAD-GRU-AEP: 1:05 or 3:25 between flights in GRU, international to international connection

AEP-GRU-IAD: 1:40, 3:00, or longer between flights in GRU, international to international connection

Any advice on what might be considered safest for travelers from the US who do not intend to pay the Brazil reciprocity fee (with no intention of entering Brazil)? I would certainly lean towards the longer connection time on the return to the US, but seek your advice on the BUE-bound legs.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Speaking for myself, I prefer about a 3 hour window for connections, be they domestic or international. You didn't mention your time of day, however there is a United Club at GRU, and if you are in F, no problem for access. Can't recall off the top of my head if 2P (Silver) get UC access. There are also showers at the UC. Otherwise, there is a Fast Sleep in the airside corridor connecting the two terminal and you could shower and/or sleep there depending on your connection time and length.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I will have earned Gold status by then, so lounge access won't be a problem. The BUE-bound connection will be from about 10:30AM, and the return connection will be around 8:00PM.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by aindfan
Brazil reciprocity fee
There is no such thing!

Well, about the connection time, it's just a matter of trusting the airline you're arriving with. 60 minutes is enough for an international-to-international connection at GRU.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If you get stuck (irrops) without a visa, you can't leave the terminal. I've done the connection twice - a few months ago, and about a decade ago. The procedure takes about 10 minutes, max, to be back in the general departures area. Note that transit security will strictly enforce the liquids requirements, even if you are traveling to a country where it doesn't matter. Even my contact lens solution was confiscated.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

My plans have changed somewhat since the OP. My GRU connection will be between the following flights, all ticketed by UA on a single PNR:

JJ3168 IGU-GRU 20:12-22:05
UA860 GRU-IAD 23:55-06:35+1

Am I crazy to attempt a 1:50 domestic to international connection to the last flight of the day? I will have a Brazil visa (now that my plans have changed), so if I am stranded, I won't be stuck in the international transit area.

Originally Posted by C010T3
There is no such thing!
Good point, I did indeed mean visa. I had confused this with Argentina's US tourist policy, which does require a reciprocity fee but no visa.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:28 am

My plans have changed somewhat since the OP. My GRU connection will be between the following flights, all ticketed by UA on a single PNR:

JJ3168 IGU-GRU 20:12-22:05
UA860 GRU-IAD 23:55-06:35+1

Am I crazy to attempt a 1:50 domestic to international connection to the last flight of the day? I will have a Brazil visa (now that my plans have changed), so if I am stranded, I won't be stuck in the international transit area.

You've booked the flights already and now are worrying if you're crazy? You're going from domestic to international, so the international transit area is irrelevant. If you miss your connection, you may have to plea with UA to put you on the next night's flight, unless they can route you on TAM to Miami (leaves after midnight) and UA from there. Or Copa through Panama City. UA flights to ORD, EWR and IAH that night will have already left.

To switch from domestic to international (presumably TAM to GRU and UA from there), which is something we've done from TAM to United, TAM to American, TAM to US Airways and Gol to Delta, your bags will be transferred at GRU, but you have to physically leave the secure area, go to the United check-in desk, and stand in line to get your boarding pass (shorter line if you're flying biz). Then go through the security line to international flights, go through government passport control (there can be a bottleneck there, though last time we were directed to a shorter line since I looked like a senior citizen), then go to your gate. It'll be tight. I'd certainly want more time (we always aim for 3 hours or more, though in part so we have time to use the airline club if we're flying international biz class).

Good luck! Maybe you'll make it, but if I were you, I'd get an earlier flight from IGU, or at least show up earlier and see if TAM will put you on. It could mean a long layover at GRU, but I'd personally prefer that to having to rush through a Brazilian airport (worrying if I'll make it, and, whether or not I do, if my bags will).

Last edited by SoCal; Aug 6, 2013 at 11:41 am
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoCal
Wow, that's quite a change.
Yes, instead of a round trip to EZE, the return is from IGU.

You've booked the flights.
They're still on hold (not purchased), so I have a way out. The only alternative, unfortunately, is a flight 5 hours earlier that requires a self-transfer from CGH. I don't mind the transfer itself, but I'd hate to lose those extra 5 hours at Iguazu Falls.

(shorter line if you're flying biz)
I will use an upgrade (currently plenty of availability) - it sounds like that should help. United lists GRU as an airport that accepts mobile boarding passes - does this reflect a change from your most recent visit, and would this eliminate part of the time wasted waiting?

go through government passport control (there can be a bottleneck there, though last time we were directed to a shorter line since I looked like a senior citizen)
I suppose an 11:55PM departure isn't exactly off-peak.

Thanks for the reply - I think I'll lean towards taking the chance, though I understand that I should be prepared to be stuck there for a day if my incoming TAM flight is late. A single PNR and business class seat should help, I hope.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:09 pm

Yes, instead of a round trip to EZE, the return is from IGU.

They're still on hold (not purchased), so I have a way out. The only alternative, unfortunately, is a flight 5 hours earlier that requires a self-transfer from CGH. I don't mind the transfer itself, but I'd hate to lose those extra 5 hours at Iguazu Falls.

I will use an upgrade (currently plenty of availability) - it sounds like that should help. United lists GRU as an airport that accepts mobile boarding passes - does this reflect a change from your most recent visit, and would this eliminate part of the time wasted waiting?

I suppose an 11:55PM departure isn't exactly off-peak.

Thanks for the reply - I think I'll lean towards taking the chance, though I understand that I should be prepared to be stuck there for a day if my incoming TAM flight is late. A single PNR and business class seat should help, I hope.
TAM has an early afternoon flight from IGU to GRU. A long layover, but no need to transfer your bags yourself from CGH and then stand in line at GRU (UA desk may not open until 3 hours before their first flight of the night).

Biz class for the international portion should help, both in the length of the line and, if you're there early enough, the ability to use the United Club at GRU. But if you stick with the currenct schedule, you may be rushing to get to the UA desk and then through security and passport control. Not sure how much biz class helps in the case of missing a connection, since you'd have to get TAM's cooperation to put you on the Miami flight (if that's even possible, and there are seats-- in biz class-- available). Or, if the option is the next night's UA flight, hope that there are seats available (and in biz, not just economy if you've upgraded). To me, it sounds like a lot of hassle to avoid a longer layover at GRU you'd have by arriving early (that's if TAM would make the change for free).

I don't know how mobile boarding passes would work in such a situation, since you'd still normally have to show your passport to the airline at check-in, answer the usual routine questions about your bags being in your possession, etc., and then, of course, go through security and government passport control. I don't see any way to get out of leaving security, but perhaps you could avoid having to stand in line at UA. I'd phone the airline.

There are flights throughout the night at GRU, though I think that after 10 or so the crowds diminish a bit.

Last edited by SoCal; Aug 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:55 pm

I understand that I should be prepared to be stuck there for a day if my incoming TAM flight is late.
Well, if so, get a room at a hotel with a pool in nearby Guarulhos town (many have airport shuttles), and spend the day enjoying the sunshine, not a bad way to be "stuck" somewhere.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
The 23:55 GRU departure on UA indicates a flight later this year after the time has changed in both Brasil and the US.

I just did a transfer for TAM to UA at GRU last week. I actually had an 8 hour layover, but since I normally start at GIG, I went exploring, had lunch, and then the UA check-in opened between 4:30 and 5 PM. Their first scheduled flight was at 9 PM, I believe, so a good 4+ hours early.

If the same pattern holds later after the time change, then if the OP is in Business, he can check in as soon as the counter is open and go to the United Club.

Add: At that time of the day, around 5 PM, security and passport control were practically deserted.

Last edited by qfrodo; Aug 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm Reason: additional comment
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:26 pm

I have a connection in the opposite direction. I arrive in GRU at 8:50AM and am looking at flights to EZE. There is a TAM flight departing at 11:15AM. Is that enough time to connect in GRU (from United to TAM)?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by UA840
I have a connection in the opposite direction. I arrive in GRU at 8:50AM and am looking at flights to EZE. There is a TAM flight departing at 11:15AM. Is that enough time to connect in GRU (from United to TAM)?
Yes, that's more than enough, considering that you don't go through either immigration or customs. You will remain within the transit area.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:44 am

Similar question: connecting in GRU from AA->LA, arriving at 9AM, departing to EZE at 10:05AM. Looks like the MCT for this type of transfer is 60 minutes. Is is possible?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Yes, if on one ticket and luggage checked through, you need to walk 10-15 minutes to the other gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.