Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to exchange leftover BRL to US$ at GRU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Best place to exchange leftover BRL to US$ at GRU

On departure from GRU, where will be the best place to exchange my remaining BRL to US$?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: AA LTPlt, 3MM
I don't think it varies that much but I'd check the exchange places on the floor above departures.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If the OP is traveling International there is a place to the far left as soon as you pass the duty free shops. IIRC you need to go down a few steps. Since exchange rates at these place tend to be very bad I usually just keep my Real for the next trip.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:02 pm

Thinking ahead, you might want to keep and hold onto your R$ BRL.

It is becoming a valuable currency in the last few years, almost like the CHF. I do, and I would urge others to.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:08 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Thinking ahead, you might want to keep and hold onto your R$ BRL.

It is becoming a valuable currency in the last few years, almost like the CHF. I do, and I would urge others to.
To keep your pocket money in Reais it's OK!; even more if you are a frequent visitor to Brazil.

But think twice (or even more . . .) before investing in Reais. We are living in very interesting times in Brazil now, but I doubt the current situation is stable in the medium or long term.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:53 am
Original Poster

I am not a frequent traveller to Brazil and in fact, this will be my first visit. I am not sure when I shall return. So I think its best to exchange all my “leftover” BRL on departure. At some airports, e.g., EZE, the Argentina forum suggests certain FX outfits to avoid and wonder if there may be one that is more desirable than others at GRU. I realise that the rate is usually less favourable at airport exchanges but I shall not be changing a large amount. It’s better to get something than using my Brazilian notes as “wallpaper” when I get home! Thanks everyone for your comments and tips!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
You could always deposit them at one of the charity collection points for left-over currency .
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Embuexpat
You could always deposit them at one of the charity collection points for left-over currency .
Good idea! I shall do just that with whatever left that cannot be exchanged to my home currency.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:29 pm

I wouldn't invest in Reais, either. Too many variables. The U.S. dollar to Real was up to about 1.90 a couple of weeks ago and now is down to the low 1.70s. It's gone up and done at times. Some reports said that when the Eurozone crisis got worse, the dollar got stronger but that doesn't always seem to apply. The Brazilian stock market did not do well last year, especially at the end, but has looked bettr in January. The Petrobras stock I bought through the NYSE two years ago is worth a little less than half of what I paid for it. The Brazilian government has a very high debt to contend with (Lula spent more than he had; imagine!), and the new president has vowed not to cut social or infrastructure spending in the run-up to the World Cup and Olympics. Personal debt, including credit card debt, is very high among Brazilians, and annual interest rates can be between 100-200%. Plus the cost of living is high (e.g., gas is much more expensive). That's actually good for the U.S., since Brazilians go to the U.S. for shopping expeditions (my sister-in-law just flew to Miami last night and returns Tuesday). There may still be great investments to get into in Brazil, but I'm too chicken.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:15 pm

Agree with the shopping sprees. Our niece just left Vancouver, BC with 39 others, loaded with the latest of everything: IPADS, luggage, you name it.

Petrobras has been a good 10-12 year investment, at least for us. Wait a year or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.