FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   BBC: Brazil's airports won't be ready (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1205766-bbc-brazils-airports-wont-ready.html)

SoCal Apr 15, 2011 4:47 am

BBC: Brazil's airports won't be ready

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13090122

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 15, 2011 6:17 am

Originally Posted by SoCal (Post 16222490)

Rousseff as she said needs to open the upgrading process up to private investment. Give incentives for finishing ahead of schedule and stiff penalties for not. Imagining a couple of extra 200,000 people at GIG or GRU is not pretty.

SoCal Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 16222737)
Rousseff as she said needs to open the upgrading process up to private investment. Give incentives for finishing ahead of schedule and stiff penalties for not. Imagining a couple of extra 200,000 people at GIG or GRU is not pretty.

Getting a little late to start opening up the process for bids, with work to start later, but in some cases it might work. And at least the government admitting the problem is a first step (though airport overcrowding has been an issue for a while). The president is already facing a big budget deficit, so it won't be easy to come up with extra funds, but I imagine few will vote against it (they'll have to cut other things). I can't imagine any new airports being built in 3 years, but could be wrong. The report mentions the idea of using alternative airports. Not sure in how many places there are feasible alternatives to the main existing airports (more difficult for international flights, since extra facilities are needed).

SoCal Apr 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Just saw that the country's head of civil aviation has said the airports will be ready and there's no cause for concern.

qfrodo Apr 15, 2011 5:32 pm

They have been building a new airport in VIX for the past 4 or 5 years. Start and stop due to fraud uncovered. Now supposed to be ready in 2013. Don't know of any events scheduled to take place in VIX connected to either the World Cup or Olympics, but might be an alternative. Just don't know if the new terminal will have facilities for Passport Control and Customs. They currently do get cargo flights nonstop from Miami with 767s, and I imagine someone has to inspect the crew, not to mention the crew on ships since it is a shipping port. So there are some inspection resources there that could be augmented.

qfrodo Jun 1, 2011 11:50 am

Brazil to Sell Airports in Sao Paulo, Brasilia to Host World Cup, Olympics

An article from Bloomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-olympics.html

jbcarioca Jun 5, 2011 1:12 pm

It seems unlikely thatanything will be ready. Not one stadium is on schedule, IIRC. None of the airports are progressing as needed. The facilities are poor at best eerywhere. Public transport options are all behind schedule or not started. Facilities for teams, support and visitors are all behind.

I hate to be a pessimist, but this is a disaster in process. We still have debate about whether and how to privatize airports, much less final designs and work started.

It smells like the Pan American games but worse.:(

FlyingRabbit Jun 5, 2011 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca (Post 16507831)
It seems unlikely thatanything will be ready. Not one stadium is on schedule, IIRC. None of the airports are progressing as needed. The facilities are poor at best eerywhere. Public transport options are all behind schedule or not started. Facilities for teams, support and visitors are all behind.

I hate to be a pessimist, but this is a disaster in process. We still have debate about whether and how to privatize airports, much less final designs and work started.

It smells like the Pan American games but worse.:(

I said it somewhere else and I'll repeat it here: so far it looks like this will be a major embarassment for Brazil. And I dread to think about the Olympics in Rio...

And yes, I hope I'm wrong on both cases. :(

Gaucho100K Jun 5, 2011 6:57 pm

Isnt this a repeat of South Africa..... and in the end, everything was finished on time. Why will this be different....?

jbcarioca Jun 5, 2011 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 16509407)
Isnt this a repeat of South Africa..... and in the end, everything was finished on time. Why will this be different....?

We all devoutly hope you're correct. It is hard to be optimistic when you read the newspaper every day. Of course Presient Dilma is beginning regular meetings of all concerned, albeit starting that rather too late.

Carioca Jun 6, 2011 5:38 pm

Veja magazine

For anyone with access to this week's Veja magazine, can see the small corruption story of Infraero and why Brazilian airports are in such condition right now.

dgcpaphd Jul 2, 2011 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca (Post 16509955)

snip - snip - It is hard to be optimistic when you read the newspaper every day. Of course President Dilma is beginning regular meetings of all concerned, albeit starting that rather too late.

"Brazilians are not interested in planning the world cup, they just want to win it!"

I hear this so many times while in Brazil.

With the lack of progress towards Brazil being ready for the upcoming events, I tend to believe the above quotation.
-

thetravelabstract Jul 4, 2011 10:01 pm

Things will fall together eventually. It might be crowded at the airports but I am sure things will come together. There are enough powerful and rich people who stand to make tons of money for them not to.

dgcpaphd Jul 5, 2011 3:19 am

Here is an interesting article that appears in today's New York Times concerning Brazil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/op...5.html?_r=1&hp

jbcarioca Jul 5, 2011 6:00 am

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd (Post 16672865)
Here is an interesting article that appears in today's New York Times [/url]

As a Carioca I am eternally optimistic. Maybe my lenses are not quite so "rose-colored" as are Mr. Cohen's (Apartments prices have not "quadrupled" in the last year anywhere here, doubled yes) but things are improving.

There was even a report by economists of Banco Santander today suggesting that Brazil will have fewer people living in poverty than does the US by the end of 2011! The progress is astounding and mostly very positive.

There are still negatives and the topic of this thread is one of them. Public works here seem to fall victim of what Henrique Mirelles, the new head of the games coordinating body, calls a "vibrant democracy". He's correct. Brazil is a very immature democracy so nobody is comfortable asserting dominance over anyone elses right to stop something.

Thus there remains lots of impunity and progress is sometimes slow.

Today I am optimistic. I think we'll somehow be ready.;) Don't ask about tomorrow.:(