How many days for Argentina and Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:11 pm
fet
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
How many days for Argentina and Brazil

Posted the same at the Argentina thread:

I am planning a trip to South America in December. We are flying into EZE and returning back from GIG and have about 2 weeks in between.
How should we allocate our time between 2 countries if we would like to go to Iguazu Falls (probably on Argentina side?) and see some Amazon rain forest (probably from Brazil side?).
All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was able to spend two full weeks in BsAs and still didn't see enough. If you want to experience nature, then short on BsAs, say 2-3 days. Otherwise, spend 5 and maybe you start to get a sense of the place. 2 full days in Iguazu. I'm going to assume you're flying to Iguazu, otherwise add travel time. Also be sure to get all your shots before you leave. Iguazu is tropical and has numerous innoculation requirements. There are several places in Argentina you will have to skip like the Pampa and Patagonia, which alone merit their own trip.

I can't comment on Brazil.

I think you're biting off so much, you'll miss a lot and have only fleeting glances at some great places. I'd be more inclined to focus on one or the other. In December, everywhere North of BsAs will be very hot. Going south of BsAs will be much better weather.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:19 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
I'd say you need at least 2 days for the Iguazu falls and at least 3-4 for the Amazon, including flights. You may find that the forest in the national park surrounding the falls looks a lot like the Amazon rain forest, however (especially if you haven't seen it yet). There are some jungle tours in the park - guided forest trails, boat rides.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I suggest you take a look at the Pantanal rain forest. The diversity and chances of spotting wildlife is much more likely there, compared to the Amazon. Also, it is closer to Rio (=cheaper airfares, less travel time).

Going to Iguacu from B.A., visiting both sides, and then leaving from the brazilian side is the most common way of doing it as a stopover on a journey from Argentina to Rio/Brazil.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:40 pm

fet

1. Brasil is approximately the size of the Continental United States.
2. You will need a tourist visa from the Brasilian Consulate.
3. Agree completely with the excellent suggestion regarding the Pantanal.
4. Current prices in Brasil, including airfare, are expensive. Build it as one package.
5. It will be summer, so you may travel light. I recently met a family in Brasil from Geneve that had been travelling for one month in Argentina and Brasil comfortably with one carry on each only. They were quite content, minus the restaurant prices.
6. If you have not been to Brasil before, include a few days in Rio. It is worth seeing.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
If you are american, you can save by going to Brazil first and Argentina second. You can fly to IGU in Brazil, see the falls, cross the border and fly from IGZ to Buenos Aires. You will save about $130 which are payable if you arrive internationally at EZE.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by fet
Posted the same at the Argentina thread:

I am planning a trip to South America in December. We are flying into EZE and returning back from GIG and have about 2 weeks in between.
How should we allocate our time between 2 countries if we would like to go to Iguazu Falls (probably on Argentina side?) and see some Amazon rain forest (probably from Brazil side?).
All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Your comment about the Amazon forest "probably from Brazil side" puzzles me. The Amazon is a long, long, long ways north of Iguaçu, and unless you're going into, perhaps, Colombia, there's no question of a "Brazil side." Do you mean forest around Iguaçu? Not the Amazon forest, but sort of rain forest. If you were going to fly to the Amazon (likely Manaus), it would take several hours, with a change of planes in Sao Paulo or Rio and maybe another place. Why do you want to see Iguaçu just from the Argentine side? What kind of itinerary do you have in mind? Flying from BA to Iguazu (Spanish spelling) on the Argentine side, then to someplace else, without crossing into Brazil at the falls?? I'd suggest seeing the falls from both sides (and maybe you are thinking of that if you want to see the forest from the Brazilian side). From Foz de Iguaçu in Brazil you could fly to Rio, see attractions there, and perhaps places in the general area, such as historic Minas Gerais towns of Tiradentes or, even better, Ouro Preto, and/or, on the coast, beautiful Ilha Grande and the town of Paraty.

Considering the size of the two countries, and your lack of information on your interests, budget and mode(s) of transportation, I'd suggest first looking at a guide book or two and then asking more specific questions. Are you proposing to do the whole thing by land? You could certainly spend a week seeing Iguaçu and Rio (especially if including transport time), leaving a week to see any of a number of other places, such as Santa Catarina, Blumenau or, if you are willing to add flights (which can be expensive in Brazil), Salvador, the Amazon, the Pantanal (need a few days), etc. In Argentina, you could use a week flying down to El Calafate to see the Perito Moreno glacier and Ushuaia. Lots of possibilities.

You don't see when in December you are going, but as you get closer to Xmas, and especially New Years, more people are on vacation, and hotels fill up and prices rise. Once you get real close to New Years Eve, many places, especially in Rio, have minimum stay requirements. In the north, such in the Amazon region, temps and amount of rainfall increase.

Last edited by SoCal; Jun 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:43 pm
fet
Original Poster

Thanks to everybody for constructive advise.
I think I will take advantage of not arriving internationally to EZE and saving $420 (for 3 of us).
So the plan is: fly from US to GIG first, spend 3 nights in RIO, then fly to Iguazu and spend 2 nights there visiting both sites but staying on Argentinian side at Sheraton, then fly to EZE and spend 5 nights there (include couple of day trips such as Colonia, estancia, may be Delta), and then fly to SCL, spend 2 nights there and fly back home.
Thoughts?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by fet
Thanks to everybody for constructive advise.
I think I will take advantage of not arriving internationally to EZE and saving $420 (for 3 of us).
So the plan is: fly from US to GIG first, spend 3 nights in RIO, then fly to Iguazu and spend 2 nights there visiting both sites but staying on Argentinian side at Sheraton, then fly to EZE and spend 5 nights there (include couple of day trips such as Colonia, estancia, may be Delta), and then fly to SCL, spend 2 nights there and fly back home.
Thoughts?
Seems rushed to me, especially with your first day in Rio following an overnight flight, but it's not my trip. I've been to SCL and enjoyed it, but seems like a fair amount of extra flying for such a short stay. I would suggest at least considering taking a day off of B.A. (or cutting Santiago) and adding a day or two to Rio in order to see Tiradentes, Outo Preto or Ilha Grande/Paraty, for both natural scenery and history Bright side of spending more tim in B.A., however, is that prices are lower there than they are in Brazil. My favorite part of Argentina is Patagonia, especially the Perito Moreno glacier near El Calafate (spectacular) and Ushuaia. Would be more of a contrast from other things you're saying than would be Santiago or even the delta, IMHO.

I assume you know that there is a hotel immediately next to the falls on the Brazilian side of Iguaçu. There is a post about it at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...cataratas.html (I stayed there 18 years ago and have not been back to see the renovated facility). Not sure how you'll get from the airport in the Brazilian town to the Sheraton (with a tour?), but I'm sure there are ways to do it. You won't be the first.

Last edited by SoCal; Jun 14, 2011 at 8:59 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
That is a seriously strenuous trip. If you don't plan to sleep, rest or do much sightseeing this will get you to each place. I have made trips such as this one, but i do not do them now. You'll be exhausted and probably miss a lot of enjoyment you might otherwise have. I would reduce the travel, probably cutting out Chile or eliminating Brazil. You can easily spend all the time productively in one or the other. The time for Foz de Iguazu is not generous but it is sufficient. Unless you're after Starwood points I would stay on the Brazil side at Hotel des Cataratas, because getting back to IGU will be easier that way. In any event you certainly do want to see both sides.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:45 am
fet
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
That is a seriously strenuous trip. If you don't plan to sleep, rest or do much sightseeing this will get you to each place. I have made trips such as this one, but i do not do them now. You'll be exhausted and probably miss a lot of enjoyment you might otherwise have. I would reduce the travel, probably cutting out Chile or eliminating Brazil. You can easily spend all the time productively in one or the other. The time for Foz de Iguazu is not generous but it is sufficient. Unless you're after Starwood points I would stay on the Brazil side at Hotel des Cataratas, because getting back to IGU will be easier that way. In any event you certainly do want to see both sides.
I don't see it as that strenuous. It allows us 3 nights in Rio, 2 nights in Iguazu, 5 nights in BsAs and 2 nights in Santiago. In Iguazu we will are using SPG points for Sheraton.
I am also looking for private guide in Rio if anyone knows a good one.

Last edited by fet; Jun 17, 2011 at 10:59 am
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by fet
http://tourguiderio.com/
Madson is a friend of a friend. I can recommend him.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:47 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Remember that to avoid the fee upon entry to EZE, you arrival must be domestic.... not international. Also, Buenos Aires has 2 airports... EZE and AEP.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:48 pm
fet
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Remember that to avoid the fee upon entry to EZE, you arrival must be domestic.... not international. Also, Buenos Aires has 2 airports... EZE and AEP.
We are arriving from IGR to AEP.

Last edited by fet; Jun 20, 2011 at 12:24 am
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by fet
I don't see it as that strenuous. It allows us 3 nights in Rio, 2 nights in Iguazu, 5 nights in BsAs and 2 nights in Santiago. In Iguazu we will are using SPG points for Sheraton.
I think you best can decide for yourself if it is strenuous or not. I used to shuttle back and forth NorCal to GIG/GRU for work. Got used to it while I was doing it but looking back, am glad it is behind me. In between work weeks, had lots of weekends in GIG/GRU and was able to "escape" and "play". Rio to Iguazu and back in a weekend is possible.

Some suggestions :
- Rio. Apart from the beaches, Corcovado and Sugarloaf ... consider signing up for a 1/2 day or full day walking tour of a favela. (I would not recommend doing it alone.) Favelas have a terrible reputation as being dangerous, crime ridden, etc. However, they also offer an interesting slice of life of a large part of the population in Rio. This was probably one of the most meaningful memories of all the time I spent in Brazil. PM me if you want contact for a reputable favela guide. He actually lives in the favela and is well regarded.
- BA. Consider a daytrip across the river to Uruguay. The entire city is a Unesco world heritage site and well deserved. Spent an entire weekend just walking around and admiring architecture, food, people, etc.

If you are going SPG, just FYI the 2 Sheratons in Rio are both not "central". Barra is further away, in a residential area to west of town, but nice and quiet, beautiful beaches. The Rio Resort is kind of tucked into a cove of its own. Neither here nor there if you ask me.

Have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.