FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Which TAM Flight to Rio? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1188741-tam-flight-rio.html)

marketingmom Feb 27, 2011 10:13 am

Which TAM Flight to Rio?

I have the option of PHL to JFK to RIO via the A330 or PHL to MIAMI to RIO via the 767. Flying business class and am USAIR Chairman. Any recommendations regarding which plane Biz Class is better? Get the feeling the 767 is older and has basic recliner seats. It's a long overnight flight so being able to lie flat (or almost flat) would be preferred. My ultimate destination in Brazil is Florinapolis so I'll be making another connection once I arrive in Rio.

I once did the USAIR flight to Brazil (through Charlotte). It was OK but the connection in Charlotte was late in the evening and seemed laborious.

Thanks for the help.

jbcarioca Feb 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Both are pleasant on JJ, but the A330 is the one I prefer. The A330 seating is more comfortable for most people. The 767 is OK and they are not old ones, but the A330 is quieter and smoother IMO.

I frequently take the US flight to CLT because it is usually cheaper, but I prefer TAM. The TAM GIG lounge is pleasant but fairly small. It is normally not too crowded because all the other *A into GIG use the GOL lounge, a legacy from varig membership in *A.

hardiwv Feb 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by marketingmom (Post 15941526)
I have the option of PHL to JFK to RIO via the A330 or PHL to MIAMI to RIO via the 767. Flying business class and am USAIR Chairman. Any recommendations regarding which plane Biz Class is better? Get the feeling the 767 is older and has basic recliner seats. It's a long overnight flight so being able to lie flat (or almost flat) would be preferred. My ultimate destination in Brazil is Florinapolis so I'll be making another connection once I arrive in Rio.

I once did the USAIR flight to Brazil (through Charlotte). It was OK but the connection in Charlotte was late in the evening and seemed laborious.

Thanks for the help.

This is a no brainer: the A330 via JFK. The B767 has old interior, but more spacious. The business lounge in JFK is also much better (JJ uses VS lounge). The A330 has far better product.

You will arrive in GIG T2 and I assume you will connect onwards with TAM GIG-FLN, probably you will fly a single-class A320. FLN is a great place, do the most to enjoy the "magical island"! :cool:
Where/which part of the island are you staying in FLN?

Rgs,

marketingmom Feb 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Many thanks for the info. My second visit to Brazil (first was to the capital and not so much to see). Attending for business....a region meeting for our members in Brazil and looks like a lovely spot was chosen from what I hear. The name of the resort is Costão do Santinho Resort, Golf & SPA. I don't know more than so would love to hear details!!

Gonna go via JFK for sure!!

jbcarioca Feb 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by marketingmom (Post 15943045)
. The name of the resort is Costão do Santinho Resort, Golf & SPA.

Here is the English language site:

http://www.costao.com.br/default.aspx

BTW the JFK Virgin lounge is often nearly empty when TAM is leaving so you usually have an easy time to have a meal or relax otherwise.

+1 on your choice, if I was not completely clear on my own opinion.

hardiwv Feb 28, 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by marketingmom (Post 15943045)
Many thanks for the info. My second visit to Brazil (first was to the capital and not so much to see). Attending for business....a region meeting for our members in Brazil and looks like a lovely spot was chosen from what I hear. The name of the resort is Costão do Santinho Resort, Golf & SPA. I don't know more than so would love to hear details!!

Costão is a great resort in Floripa (nickname for Florianópolis), however, the problem is its location: it is far out in the island, far from the city center and also quite far from the airport. About 35km from the center adn 45km from the airport. But for that you have fantastic beaches and nature all over the resort. :cool:

Enjoy!

Rgs,