Former Rio Meridien reopening as Windsor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others

3/1/2011 19:23:10
Ex-Meridien do Rio abre com a bandeira Windsor Atlântica
Dos 545 apartamentos, apenas 50 foram ocupados inicialmente no dia 31, mas alcançará plena capacidade no próximo Carnaval. A piscina foi realocada para a cobertura e o hotel ganhou 3 restaurantes, spa, estação de águas com jacuzzis, salão de beleza e 2 suítes presidenciais.
. .
Something like this has been reported repeatedly but this time it seems to be actually happening now. The rooms are definitely needed. We will eventually see how good it will be. Allegedly it has a soft opening happening right now. Oddly the article comes from a paper Bahia rather than Rio.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
3/1/2011 19:23:10
Oddly the article comes from a paper Bahia rather than Rio.
Don't hold it against the Bahia press for being 3 months behind the times

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14866414-post3.html
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Red face

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Don't hold it against the Bahia press for being 3 months behind the times

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14866414-post3.html
It sometimes takes Aussies to tell us what is happening in our own town. Why did I not see that in O Globo, of all places when I have both iPad apps and home delivery too?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:43 am

It sometimes takes Aussies to tell us what is happening in our own town. Why did I not see that in O Globo, of all places when I have both iPad apps and home delivery too?
Because you missed it on December 29th.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C010T3
Because you missed it on December 29th.
Of course. I was enroute from warm rainy GIG to cold rainy NCE and did not even glance at the news.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:28 am

Of course. I was enroute from warm rainy GIG to cold rainy NCE and did not even glance at the news.
Well, if you're still at NCE, you're missing all the sun...
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I'm still in Nice, the sun is still hiding and I have just had a magnificent New Years feast with friends ending with the famous galette du roi. At least that part of the South of France cannot be easily replicated in Rio.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Plat
Intercontinental

Also, Intercontinental will change its name to Royal Tulip São Conrado I believe later on this year.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Carioca
Also, Intercontinental will change its name to Royal Tulip São Conrado I believe later on this year.
Wauw, I didn't see this one coming! I do know that Tulip is a french chain, but is it just me, or are there getting less and less international chain hotels in Rio?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Not so much international less as French and Spanish more. Remember that AF flys a daily B744 and A330 CDG-GIG-CDG and both flights are usually quite full. Last night I was on the 744 which was 100% full CDG-GIG. The french chains are responding to clear demand from their clients.

It is odd that the non-French chains are less dedicated, especially with the Olympics and World Cup coming and the petroleum industry booming in Rio. Hyatt is building a couple properties, but I don't know of plans for other international chains.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:46 pm

Exactly. Accor is well represented, and so is Tulip.
But the US chains are so poorly represented in Rio! Marriott group has one flagship hotel there, IC are leaving, Hilton not there, Starwood has two hotels, BW a few - and thats it! There should be plenty of room for a Renaissance, some Holiday Inns etc!

Where are Hyatt going to build?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:47 am
Original Poster

The new 408-room grand Hyatt will be on the beachfront of Barra da Tijuca

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS3...010+BW20101222

They are apparently planning to be open before the 2012 World Cup, which will set a building and development pace of lightning speed for Brazil.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:53 am
Original Poster

The new 408-room grand Hyatt will be on the beachfront of Barra da Tijuca

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS3...010+BW20101222

They are apparently planning to be open before the 2012 World Cup, which will set a building and development pace of lightning speed for Brazil.
http://www.meetings-conventions.com/...ed/c38456.aspx

This proves the early prognostications were much too optimistic. Hyatt is more prudent, so has no set date, but plans for 2014-2015. That I can believe.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:01 am

They are apparently planning to be open before the 2012 World Cup
Well, the World Cup is in 2014, unless we are talking some Volleyball World Cup, or something
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jefi99
Well, the World Cup is in 2014, unless we are talking some Volleyball World Cup, or something
How embarrassing this is for me; I left off the end of the sentence by mistake. Allegedly the big preparatory activities will create substantial hotel demand starting in late 2012, thus my reference. Since the Hyatt will probably open well after the 2014 World Cup, they'll miss the pre-activities as well as the event itself. Too bad for them, it would have been a huge money maker. I still wonder if they will try to pull off a modern miracle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.