Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Storing luggage at Rio airport (GIG)

Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Pres Plat, then UA Global Services--long expired : (

I have a long layover at GIG (from about 2 PM to 8 PM) and would like to store my luggage in a locker and head into the city for a few hours.

I've read that there are lockers between T1 and T2. Can anyone provide more details? Specifically: (1) how do you find them, (2) how much do they cost, (3) are they big enough to hold a 22" carry-on size bag?

My other option would be storing them in a lounge if that's available. I'm Star Gold travelling internationally, are there any lounges I can access that have luggage storage?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I believe the storage site is on the right side just as one is leaving Terminal 1 to use the walkway to Terminal 2. I have passed by it numerous times but have never used it. As a *Gold member, you could use the TAM lounge in Terminal 2, but that is airside after going through passport control. Only have been there once so far since TAM joined *A and did not notice any lockers for storage. You didn't specify if you were connecting International to domestic or international to international. As far as I know there is no airside connection between the two terminals at GIG.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qfrodo
You didn't specify if you were connecting International to domestic or international to international. As far as I know there is no airside connection between the two terminals at GIG.
Thanks for the reply. I am connecting domestic from TAM to an international flight in the evening.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by srletend
Thanks for the reply. I am connecting domestic from TAM to an international flight in the evening.
Then the place I mentioned will be immediately on your left as you enter Terminal 1 after going through the connecting walkway.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Perhaps ancient history, but the lockers used to be operated with tokens that were purchased from the staffed baggage storage window.

So it seems you have as choice as to whether you leave your bags with the staffed service or purchase tokens to use the lockers. The lockers do accommodate 22" roller bags.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qfrodo
Then the place I mentioned will be immediately on your left as you enter Terminal 1 after going through the connecting walkway.
I found it (after passing it a few times...). It was on the left as you enter T1 from T2 (as described above). It is basically a guy in a glass booth-there is no sign indicating it is the luggage storage area, but the person will take your bag and money and store it in a room behind the counter. I had no problems using the service. It was $14 reais to store one piece for the afternoon.

Incidentally, the idea of using a lounge just didn't work for me. I could not get into the TAM lounge in T1 without a boarding pass for an international flight leaving T1. My flight was out of T2 and the check-in counter was not open early enough for me to get a boarding pass and into any of the lounges in T2 to store my bag.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
A minor clarification for anybody reading this thread. At GIG most *A carriers use the old Varig (now Gol) lounge rather than the TAM lounge. The airlines are listed prominently as you approach the lounge and the two lounges actually are right beside each other. It is very easy to leave bags in either for some time, but they're only usable if you've access to the T1 departures area.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:24 pm

Hi jbcarioca,
I used to use the old Varig lounge all the time, but on my last trip through GIG in July I had no difficulty using the TAM lounge. In fact, one fellow on my flight went to both with no apparent problem.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Hello qfrodo,

I din't mean to imply one couldn't use the TAM lounge too, although my wording was poorly chosen. In fact I often go to the TAM lounge for the snacks and drinks (vastly better than the GOL swill) and the computer terminals, then return to the more spacious Gol lounge to relax. The JJ people laugh politely, but they know me pretty well by now anyway after a few years of JJ flying.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:08 pm

luggage storage

Thank you for the information on the availability of storage at GIG. Are these actual lockers, or is it a manned checked room? Can regular full-size suitcases be accommodated? Can it be stored for a couple of days? We are taking a side trip to Iguassu Falls and won't need all of our luggage and don't want to pay the airlines for the extra pieces (we are coming off a cruise). Any additional information on pricing? by piece? by the hour?

Thank you.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by traveld
Thank you for the information on the availability of storage at GIG. Are these actual lockers, or is it a manned checked room? Can regular full-size suitcases be accommodated? Can it be stored for a couple of days? We are taking a side trip to Iguassu Falls and won't need all of our luggage and don't want to pay the airlines for the extra pieces (we are coming off a cruise). Any additional information on pricing? by piece? by the hour?

Thank you.
As mentioned above, GIG counts with both systems, manned lockers and normal lockers that you buy coin (price tag is about R$ 5 to R$ 10). If you select the manned storage you can keep your bags for several days. They are called MALEX, if you asked for MALEX at the INFRAERO information desk they will give you the complete information.

Some airlines will allow you to check in extre pieces if you show you are coming from an international flight or international cruise. I always get the international luggage allowance when I show my boarding pass provided the flight has arrived the same day. You may give it a try.

Rgs,
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:42 am

I've only connected domestic-to-international through GRU (Guarulhos, in Sao Paulo) in the recent past, but both times my bags were checked through all the way to my U.S. port of entry. I've connected TAM to United and TAM to Continental. I did have to leave the security area and get in line at the counter of my onward airline to get a boarding pass (same line as people just starting their trip there). So maybe you won't have to store your bags. Confirm with your airline(s). By the way, we were on Continental to the U.S. and we used the United Red Carpet Club at the airport, but were able to do so only because we were flying Business-First (and even then, they said only United passengers could use the showers-- so we made do with the free food and drinks). I saw no place for storing of bags. Confirm with your airline in advance re storing bags in a lounge. I've used the American Express Centurion club at GIG. Gold card or above was required. It was fairly small. I'd be surprised if any lounge would accept responsibility for storing bags.

I don't think you'll have time to see much of anything in Rio. You're unlikely to be in a taxi from the airport before 2:30, especially if you have to get, and store, your bags. I think going all the way to Copacabana/Ipanema would be risky unless you go, take a quick look and come back quickly. If you take a taxi, you might be able to go to Pao de Acucar (Sugarloaf), but I wouldn't attempt Corcovado. You should be back at the airport at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before your flight, and you'd be heading back to the airport during rush hour. If you do go all the way to Copa/Ipanema, I would head back by close to 4:30 p.m. There's a Royal bus that's inexpensive. Or take a taxi.

I think you can store your bags at GIG for multiple days, but it could get expensive. I haven't done it for several years. Unless you are flying TAM internationally, the counter for your airline won't likely open until late afternoon or early evening.

Last edited by SoCal; Sep 9, 2010 at 7:57 am
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Today we found the storage place on the sidewalk outdoors at terminal two (departure level close to where the buiding ends nearest to terminal one)Small lockers are 12 reais per day or part of a day and large are 24 per day or part of day. The counter is manned and of u have an extra large bag they will hold it for 30 per day. It is all out doors so if u have something temp sensitve u are out of luck.

Last edited by peter11; Feb 21, 2013 at 6:27 am
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:53 pm

12 hour layover

I have a 12 hour layover and was looking to store my luggage someplace. It would just be a carry-on bag, so nothing too big. While I understand there is some outside storage lockers, does anybody know if any of the lounges have lockers to store items in? I have priority pass and am an amex platinum card member.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
I have a 12 hour layover and was looking to store my luggage someplace. It would just be a carry-on bag, so nothing too big. While I understand there is some outside storage lockers, does anybody know if any of the lounges have lockers to store items in? I have priority pass and am an amex platinum card member.
Your choices are listed above. Lockers seem the most feasible. Peter11 gives the location. The Am Ex Centurion Club is outside security, in T1, but I don't know that you can leave bags off in a storage room. Need to ask. You could probably just leave them on the chairs, etc., but no guarantee they'd be there when you return. I saw no lockers there. We used that club when connecting form an international to a domestic flight. It's more basic than most airline clubs.

All of the airline lounges I know of are inside security. In T2, the VIP lounge serves a number of airlines (we've used it for US Airways flights and saw United passengers there, too). It's downstairs from the gate area (go to the gate area, turn left and look for the stairs). The TAM Gold club, which used to be next door, appears to have departed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.