Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC Partner: Flying tomorrow: BD*G status not reflected on United BPs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC Partner: Flying tomorrow: BD*G status not reflected on United BPs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Flying tomorrow: BD*G status not reflected on United BPs

With a few solo United flights ahead of her I arranged last week for my girlfriend to get a status match from BA to BD. The upgrade was done and she was sent an email confirming her BD*G status.

I tried to put her new '0000' number into United's website at Easy Check-In for tomorrow's flight but it didn't recognise it. I put her number in in the old format with the eight digit number beginning in a '1' but her boarding passes showed as Group 2 and nowhere did it note her *G status. She has quite a few layovers ahead of her so lounge access would be a real plus, and of course all the other *A Gold benefits. I seriously doubt whether a letter from Diamond Club alone noting status will be enough to get into the UA RCCs.

I looked on the threads regarding the new software and it just says United systems are incompatible.

What a cock up!

Any input would be great!
M

Last edited by Seated in First; Jul 30, 2009 at 8:12 am
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not just UA. I had the same problem with CA (which also did not recognize my wife's UA *G number) and some other folks reported issues with other carriers when I posted about it. Seems like a widespread issue across *A.
Bring your gold card with you.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:24 am
Original Poster

She doesn't have her Gold card yet as she only got matched last week. The only thing verifying her status is the email confirmation from bmi when the match was complete. Not enough to get her into the lounges (I'd have thought) or get any other *G benefits.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Assuming she is departing LHR, I would get her to find a helpful agent at check-in or at the *A lounge at the very start of her trip who can put a note in the PNR history confirming she is *G (assuming they accept her evidence). LHR will be the path of least resistance for this strategy, I think. A bmi staff member there *should* be able to check she is *G and vouch for her.

My guess is that pre-existing Golds were recognised on the old database by other Star carriers and hence the '1' trick still works but that this won't apply to new members.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Seated in First
... The only thing verifying her status is the email confirmation from bmi when the match was complete...
Not even a reflection of her status on the bmi Web site? A printout of the account Web page, which looks more impressive than an e-mail and takes more effort to fake, has worked in similar situations in the past.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Assuming she is departing LHR
Her United flights are domestic US But thanks for the idea and explanation! I guess that's why my BD*G notation shows on UA bookings as I've had it since before the changeover.

Originally Posted by Efrem
Not even a reflection of her status on the bmi Web site? A printout of the account Web page, which looks more impressive than an e-mail and takes more effort to fake, has worked in similar situations in the past.
She is updated on the bmi website too. I just assumed printouts like that would only be good enough for lounge access along with the BD*G notation on the boarding pass.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Using the old number with UA is the only way (worked OK a few weeks ago). The reason the status is not reflected yet is because the database only updates once a week or so (bmi sends their list of status members to other *A partners)

When I came gold ages ago it took about a week to reflect in the booking. Not sure how this will work with the new number though....

A print out from the website with expiry date on should work OK as proof as *g status though.

See post 15 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...leage-run.html

Alex
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
The additional solution to consider is to ask Customer Relations or our Diamond Club lurker, Diamond Club, to fax a "to whom it may concern" letter or get the Diamond Club Call Centre to put a note directly into the various PNRs reaffirming her status. Be aware that our lurker is likely to be overloaded with work given all the IT cock-ups.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
It was an excruciating process to try and prove my BD*G status to the UA RCC moat dragons during that period of time between hitting BD*G and getting the physical membership card. It eventually worked but not without some serious argument (ORD). I didn't have time to print out any documentation before leaving on a trip and just assumed that UA's system would instantaneously recognize the new status level. Not so much.

US club access at PHX was also problematic without the physical BD*G card.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Good news! She said that although *G wasn't on the boarding pass she was allowed access into the RCC with combination of email and screenshot from the website ^
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Seated in First
Good news! She said that although *G wasn't on the boarding pass she was allowed access into the RCC with combination of email and screenshot from the website ^
Glad it ended well - and a good data point for future reference!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Maybe it would work better starting with a 3. Guessing she wasn't gold when the transfer to 0000 numbers went on.
As for me I'm still using the 1.
Just got a Op-Up with LH on FRA-OSL and UA on MUC-ORD!!
That MUC-ORD seemed severely oversold in economy as my seatmates were a family of four on reward Y tickets with a father as 1P or something.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
As far as I can work out, none of the US carriers recognise the new BD numbers for any purpose whatsoever, including for credit of points and its not just American carriers either. BD should have got this sorted out before they updated their number scheme and the way its being dealt with by check in agents and DC for claiming points is nothing short of a complete shambles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.