Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Paying UK tax with your BMI Mastercard – the definitive guide!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying UK tax with your BMI Mastercard – the definitive guide!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Yep, hardly enough to pay the school fees.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:40 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Quick Q to my clever FT-ers.

I have some money to pay off my mortgage, and was going to use my bmi Mastercard. Unfortunately, my mortage provider won't accept payments on a mortgage by credit card, either over the phone, online, or in a branch!

If I made the payment to my mortgage a/c number from mbna, it would be a balance transfer and hence I'd have to pay 4%, and also I wouldn't get the miles

Can anyone think of another way of doing this so I can grab some miles, or am I scuppered on this earning potential?

Thanks all
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Pretty scuppered, I think, unless you pay the money to the Revenue and then ask for an immediate cheque refund which you then use to pay the mortgage. You also cannot use the PayPal Top-Up Card with a non-Amex without paying the cash advance fee and losing the miles.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:57 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
If they will accept a debit card payment, then you might get somewhere with a Paypal Topup Card, but as Raffles says you need to load that from an Amex to avoid cash advance fees - check out the Amex thread over on the BA board for more details.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:11 am

Cheers Raffles and raikje. That was kinda what I thought.

Sadly the revenue option isn't open to me as I'm PAYE, and I don't want to start messing about. I currently don't have to do the dreaded return!

Ach well. What I really need to find is a friendly shopkeeper with a credit card machine, and a cheque book to pay me back. I guess that's not allowed though, otherwise someone would have set up an FT "money clearing house" by now....
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by raikje
If they will accept a debit card payment, then you might get somewhere with a Paypal Topup Card, but as Raffles says you need to load that from an Amex to avoid cash advance fees - check out the Amex thread over on the BA board for more details.
Forget about the Paypal Topup Card - if can't be used to pay other banks via debit card (like making credit card payments etc.) Paypal confirmed to me that this falls under financial services which the card can't be used for.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by markdg
Ach well. What I really need to find is a friendly shopkeeper with a credit card machine, and a cheque book to pay me back. I guess that's not allowed though, otherwise someone would have set up an FT "money clearing house" by now....
Accepting a credit card payment incurs a fee - so sure if you had a friendly shop keeper you could do that - but a % would be lost (maybe 2-3% in fees). You could just pay money into your paypal account from your creditcard - and then transfer it into your bank account - but you pay fees to paypal for the credit card transaction.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

... which is why it doesn't work. If you value a BMI mile at 1.5p-2p then its not worth paying 2-3% in fees, even on the Premium Mastercard, as you're paying 1p-1.5p per mile. Paying the Revenue 0.91%, on the other hand ...!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:50 am

Yeah, I've not really played with PayPal before, I have to admit.

I see their fees are on a sliding scale, with 1.4% at the top of the very top of the range, so a transfer of £100,000 (if only!) would cost me £1,400 and would net me 150,000 on my plat-branded, but normal mastercard - a cost of 0.93p a mile - not bad.

However, £10,000 at 1.9% would net me 15,000 miles at 1.27p per mile.

As you say, not worth it. At those levels, C+M is much better value (unless I've miscalculated something - always possible on a Friday!)
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:20 am

Charge for paying by phone is now 1.25%, same as online.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcwilliams
Charge for paying by phone is now 1.25%, same as online.
B*gger. Was literally just about to call them as well - I have just been on the 'phone to MBNA to get the amount authorised.

EDIT - yes, 1.25% confirmed. I will change the first post of this thread.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: BA
Amex

Has anyone asked HMRC why they won't accept Amex? It's not as if they take MC/Visa without an additional fee.

Does anyone know what relation the 1.25% bears to the true cost to HMRC so that we could work out what the potential Amex percentage would be?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
It's worth remembering that HMRC treat the Paypal Visa top up card as a debit card, so no surcharge and miles earning when topped up with the right credit cards.

I've paid Mrs Roger's assessment. Just mine to submit, which since much is PAYE should still be manageable with this card.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Has anyone asked HMRC why they won't accept Amex? It's not as if they take MC/Visa without an additional fee.

Does anyone know what relation the 1.25% bears to the true cost to HMRC so that we could work out what the potential Amex percentage would be?
They dont just pluck a fee out of the air, the 1.25% is written in statute. So its not possible to have different rates for different cards. AMEX is obviously unworkable at 1.25% so simple to exclude it.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:42 am

As I get 1.5% cashback from Amex (Platinum credit card) I'm guessing the Amex fee would have to be greater than that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.