Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Changing the destination of an award ticket

Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

I tied searching for this, but only found some threads where others have changed the origin city.

I wanted to book an oneway award SYD-SIN-CGK in J on SQ. Original agent was useless, and 2nd agent couldn't find availability SIN-CGK. So I booked SYD-SIN award in J using Cash and Miles.

Availability has now popped up for the SIN-CGK leg and I confirmed this by ringing and asking an agent. However they insisted that they couldn't change the final destination of an award once its been ticketed. Anyway, I've asked to be contacted by a supervisor, but haven't heard anything yet.

Has anyone done this recently? Is it against the BMI award rules?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I believe they are right as a policy, but "can't" is not true...there's always a way. I successfully changed HKG-SIN-LHR-OSL to HKG-SIN-LHR-CPH after ticketing. At first they refused but I said it was the same zone/cost and it had been done before. They put me on hold and said they'd make an exception for me as a Gold and went and did it ^ Very pleased as it allowed me to make an important meeting immediately after my holiday and there was no other flight I could have taken. Lucky all round!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
You can allways cancel the original ticket for 20 and then simply rebook with the new final destination. A note of warning is that sometimes if you cancel an award ticket the award seat you originally had may disappear. Although this is extrememly rare so you would probably have no problem!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Apologies for the dig, figured it would be better to post in a somewhat relevant topic than to create a new one. I have a redemption ticket booked from AKL to LAX, then followed by some domestic US connections. I'm wanting to change this to be AKL to LAX to LHR to EDI. If I call the ICC, are they a) likely to be able to do this (willingly?) and b) going to be able to do it without having to cancel the ticket and potentially lose the availability, which would be somewhat more inconvenient?

It's only 7,500 miles plus 52.50 (plus change fee plus taxes) to change the booking to be Z9-Z1 instead of Z9-Z3, so obviously that'd be much preferable if possible to buying a separate Z3-Z1 ticket for 18,750 miles + 105!

Anyway, just thought I'd see if the good people of FT could advise before I attempt to call.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
All this is possible with a good, willing agent. Cancelling (ie releaseing the exisiting elements) is not an option, so changing it is fine - they may need to re-issue the tickets, but that's not the same as cancelling them.

Keep checkmytrip open and refresh often!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Cancelling (ie releaseing the exisiting elements) is not an option, so changing it is fine
Not sure what you mean by this? Is it because you risk losing the original award by cancelling and then rebooking?

I had a similar question (not wanting to hijack!) with a business award flight now showing availability in F. Is the "upgrade" just a change in this case, no need to cancel and rebook?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Exactly - releasing confirmed space, does not guarantee that it will return to reward inventory - yield management may feel they can make the seats revenue positive. Thus, the booking agent needs to just modify the itinerary - and depending of the specifics of the operation, that may or may not necessitate re-issuing the ticket.

As to moving from C to F - yes, that's just a change.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Jul 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm Reason: Can't spel
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.