Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

PROMO: buying miles fee waived, juicy e-shopping bonuses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Just received an email - buy miles between now and 15/6 and the £15 transaction fee will be waived. http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/rewa...ing-miles.aspx
Old May 1, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Bonus miles for shopping too.

Fixed bonus of 500 miles for one transaction increasing to 5000 miles for 10+
Old May 1, 2008, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Just tried to buy some miles - is the BMI Amex still not working for miles purchases - I remember seeing some discussion on it not working but I imagined it would be fixed by now.
Old May 1, 2008, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OK. This is one where you would expect FT'ers to be able to come up with creative solutions!

What is the cheapest thing, inc postage, that can be bought from the shopping mall?! I presume you could sell things to yourself on ebay, or buy some 1p ebooks, but I've never actually had any ebay miles track properly so would be wary of that.

Any other ideas?

EDIT - I see Waterstones is offering free delivery on everything, so a few very cheap childrens books may do it. As may booking some hotels and then cancelling later. itunes is another obvious one.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Is it me, or have the terms for the buying of miles changed?

Previously it was 20,000 in a calendar year wasn't it? Now the landing page for this promotion is saying max 20,000 miles in a transaction or a 12 month period.

Or have I just been imagining things?
Old May 1, 2008, 8:14 am

Given that bmi arent keen on posting/approving e-shopping, is it worth it? Still not heard any positive experiences on bmi shopping. Or does this campaign signify bmi pulling their socks up on this one? ... I hope so.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
And at 7 points/£, one of the better earning options on there (along with Figleaves (7), La Senza (8), BuyaGift (8), Greenfingers (8), Thorntons (7), L'Occitane UK (7) Natures Best (10!) The Body Shop (7) and lots more around.

Alas eBay has dropped from 2 points/£ to 1 , so ebay is becoming a very unattractive option.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Given that bmi arent keen on posting/approving e-shopping, is it worth it? Still not heard any positive experiences on bmi shopping. Or does this campaign signify bmi pulling their socks up on this one? ... I hope so.
I purchased an iphone from the Apple store via BMI shopping and on the same day items from Figleaves.

The Figleaves order wasn't recorded and BMI seem not to care.

The iPhone miles posted into my account approximately 3 months after said item arrived in my hands.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:30 am

Please keep in mind it is NOT bmi being slow with this. It is the validation process used by the ecommerce providers. It is up to them to validate the sales within a period. I have had miles take almost 12 weeks (the maximum within the program) to post and I've had some transactions come through in about 4 weeks.

The miles won't post faster than this typically if a retailer is doing their validation correctly, otherwise people will be able to fraudulently collect miles (or revenue) through transactions that are then cancelled and refunded. It has been a scam used by a number of affiliates and savvy consumers to exploit not very well managed affiliate programs.

I'll be using this promotion and it will be interesting to see how they handle the paying of bonus miles. I suspect it will mean quite delay in posting the bonus miles if they are waiting for the pending transactions to clear before deciding the bonus level (as it is tiered)

It looks like a good chance to earn bonus miles on normal purchases, the ceiling of 5,000 miles overall though means that there isn't a huge value in making lots of additional transactions just for the sake of it.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
itunes is another obvious one.
So buying 10 single tracks in 10 separate transactions for £8 in total, and you get 5000 bmi miles?
Old May 1, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Unless you need the extra miles vs additional expense, I would had thought that the tip point was 5 purchases to get 3000 miles (unless you're buying kids books with free delivery...)

Still, points.com and the vendors really needs to get their act together and improve the turnarounds.

And when BMI IT and other IT services mix and match - its time to watch the fireworks go off...
Old May 1, 2008, 8:40 am

So buying 10 single tracks in 10 separate transactions for £8 in total, and you get 5000 bmi miles?
Sounds like good value to me... (and Mrs C and Junior C and .....)
Old May 1, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
I have to admit, I've done a bad job of keeping track of some purchases. I have had one lot of miles post in a lump sum but without proper tracking, some appear, some don't, I'm not sure where they're from.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:43 am

That is pretty much the best way by the look of it to do it for minimum outlay. 5,000 miles retails at £60, so for £8 investment it is a tidy return
Old May 1, 2008, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by RAPC
That is pretty much the best way by the look of it to do it for minimum outlay. 5,000 miles retails at £60, so for £8 investment it is a tidy return
Even buying 5000 for £60 isn't a bad return if used properly!

As this promo runs to 15 June, there is plenty of time to do the odd trial itunes purchase then wait to see if it tracks OK before doing another. No need to spend 80p unnecessarily! HOWEVER ... since miles are based on spend per £1, you may (not sure) need to spend at least £1 per transaction. Otherwise you won't have earned any miles, and therefore I doubt it will trigger any bonus. Min spend is therefore probably £16 (10 x £1.60 for 2 tracks).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.