Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BD - US Gold Combo.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
The BD - US Gold Combo.

Not sure how many people this applies to, but suspect it may well be a few for a while as the BD exodus grows, so thought I should post this.

I have 'moved' from BD/DC and thus asked UA for a status match (for my QF Plat.) and was given Exec. Plat. (*A G). The one problem of this switch however is that when travelling in the US you don't get lounge access.

I am pleased to confirm from my most recent trip however that my BD Gold (which still has a good few months to run on it) was able to be used in conjunction with the UA one to get lounge access ! My UA FF number was in the booking and on the BP, and yet on four occasions the BD card/status was recognised for lounge access without the slightest issue.

So if you have both, you can get the best of both worlds ! (Assume exactly the same with US).
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:36 am

This is obviously the case. You don't need to have the status in the PNR to have lounge access, just so long as you have the status.

The problem comes once your BD Gold has expired... now if you can come up with a solution to that for us soon-to-be 1Ks then that would be worth knowing.

Providing I always book my connections and stopovers as part of an upgraded international itinerary I think the 1K card should be enough, but I may well be wrong here and misremembering something from times past...
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:18 am

I think it won't work with stopovers as you need a same day int'l boarding pass to have lounge access with 1K prior to a US domestic flight:

http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...ld_member.html

United Airlines' Premier Executive and Premier Executive 1K customers and US Airways' Chairman Preferred and Gold Preferred customers have access to U.S. domestic United Red Carpet Club and US Airways Club locations only when they present a ticket or boarding pass for a same-day international flight.
Hence LAX-ORD (stopover) ORD-LHR won't give you lounge access in LAX, I assume.

It depends on your travel pattern, but, as a suggestion, you could be able to hold BD Gold with 38000 miles/year as a secondary card if you go only for UA Prem. Ex with 50000 miles (which gives you *G anyway) instead of UA 1K (but I really don't know much about the differences between UA 1K and UA Prem. Ex.)
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:21 am

Thanks jarino.

Unfortunately 1K much more attractive to me than Prem Exec because of upgrade opportunities which are more important to me than lounge access, so I'll use my miles to obtain that rather than some status on both...
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
The Red Carpet Clubs in the US are mostly SH**E anyway, so I always opt for Starbucks unless I am in SFO which has a slightly better lounge. You still need to pay $5.00 for a glass of wine. I prefer the BD lounges any day.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Oh, no doubt Houston Cowboy, lounges stateside (US, UA, AA... all of them) are always spartan and often awful, with little in 'em by way of food etc, but when totally knackered/needing some peace and quiet/needing to work they can still be havens from the chaos of the regular terminal (espec. when there are delays). And I was actually in the SFO one for a couple of the legs so was OK ! (AA lounge in Dallas Fort Worth is also very nice space).
Originally Posted by Wingnut
The problem comes once your BD Gold has expired... now if you can come up with a solution to that for us soon-to-be 1Ks then that would be worth knowing.
As for this, I'll put my mind to think of a creative way around this, just for you Wingnut ! Personally I may just fly US on internals and use my QF card to get lounge access, or do the kind of thing jarino suggests and re-earn BD G if I re-earn QF Plat. and have some trips still to do.

Do any AmEx cards etc get you UA lounge access ?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Regarding US lounges, i cant believe anyone actually pays for them. They are so crap its unbelievable. Most of them make the DC lounge in LHR t1 look good
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

And they pay ! My client in the US told me that AA are asking over USD$500 pa for the 'privilege' ! Astonishing, considering the food consists of peanuts, maybe with some dry crackers, and drinks that you have to pay for (and then tip the guy who gives it to you $1 ! Cos EVERY American does !). At least UA give you carrot sticks with salad dressing !

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 8, 2005 at 4:12 pm
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:32 pm

In certain countries (U.K., Germany, France etc.) Amex Platinum+Centurion Card come with a complimentary Priority Pass Card that gives access (regardless of airline flown) to UA RCC in:

BWI, BOS, DFW, HNL, MSP, JFK, LGA, EWR, SNA, MCO, PHL, PHX, PDX, SAN, SFO, SEA, DCA

but not in ORD, DEN, LAX etc.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:09 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Slightly off topic but does anybody know if BD still status match?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
First, LAX-ORD-LHR does warrant *G access in LAX for UA/US members.

Second, actually, I'm usually happier in US lounges than European ones. Yes, drinks and food are FAR better in Europe but typically amenities, spaciousness and general comfort are better to MUCH better in the US. US's lounges in its hubs in PHL and CLT for example are gorgoues - same for AA in DFW. Spacious and have very comfortable seating options. Haven't seen the same yet in Europe.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
First, LAX-ORD-LHR does warrant *G access in LAX for UA/US members.

Second, actually, I'm usually happier in US lounges than European ones. Yes, drinks and food are FAR better in Europe but typically amenities, spaciousness and general comfort are better to MUCH better in the US. US's lounges in its hubs in PHL and CLT for example are gorgoues - same for AA in DFW. Spacious and have very comfortable seating options. Haven't seen the same yet in Europe.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sts603
And some people say that Americans don't understand sarcasm !

Next time I fly on BA and I'm in the F lounge at Heathrow T4 - which I can do even when flying in Economy as a top-tier OW FF - drinking expensive Champagne, ordering FREE (all freshly made) hot soup, crudites, sandwiches or a steak from a waiter (plus all the dessert options, plus the other food laid out on the buffet [breakfast, lunch and dinner]), just before I get a FREE massage or a Body jet hydrotherapy shower at the Molton Brown spa, I'll think of you in an average UA/US lounge in the US (not in the F one, unless that day you are flying in F) eating peanuts and long-life muffins, paying 5 bucks for a beer, internet access at a "nominal fee", no showers, etc, etc, and thinking to myself "Damn, sts603 is probably in a slightly more spacious lounge, I'm so jealous" !!!

And you get a whole lot of this in the J lounge too.

Or were you only talking about *A European lounges ?!? Even so, hear the LH Frankfurt lounge is quite something !

And this issue is a major reason why every year I ALWAYS re-earn my OW status before my *A one - I may get Op Uped a little less in OW than in *A, but its just a far better experience (across the network) for these kind of things (and they are important for me, the amount that I travel), even if certain *A carriers (well, SQ anyway) are the very best in the air... oh, and because half the OW airlines are not on the verge of bankrupcy.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Nov 8, 2005 at 5:55 pm
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
Thumbs up US Lounge Access - Amex

1. I'll think of you in an average UA/US lounge in the US (not in the F one, unless that day you are flying in F) eating peanuts and long-life muffins, paying 5 bucks for a beer, internet access at a "nominal fee", no showers, etc, etc,

2. Do any AmEx cards etc get you UA lounge access?

1. I agree with Aisle Seat H about the quality of lounges in the US and in my experience they are far more crowded than than the ones I frequent most in the UK (LHR, EDI, MAN, GLA).

2. You can use your Amex Platinum or Centurion card to get free entry to Continental Presidents Clubs - the Pres Club at IAH terminal E has won a few awards. Like other Presidents Clubs you get free alcohol at their bar - but you are expected to tip the server a dollar or so.

You can also use the Amex Platinum for entry to Delta lounges. The last time I used the Delta Crown lounge at JFK their offering included free alcohol, but given Delta's bankrupcy status, this may have changed. Still a good club by US standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.