Search

Forum Closure December 31st

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Forum Closure December 31st

Dear Friends,

It is finally time to close the bmi forum; this will happen at year end.

Some select content may make its way to the BA forum to allow for any residual bmi issues that may still stand, but in the main, this forum will be moved to the Discontinued Programmes Forum and locked.

We would collectively like to note each of this forum's moderators for their contributions - Wingnut, ajamieson, GoldCircle, oxon flyer and starflyergold for all the volunteer work done here through the years.

We would also like to thank the good folks at bmi - at all levels - for their contributions here, and for their service to us as their passengers, customers and guests.

Most of all, we would like to thank YOU, the readers, contributors and inmates of the forum. You made it what it became.

I think it is fair to say we captured something very special here that will not be easily emulated.

It was a great ride.

Wherever life brings you now, we'd like to wish you safe landings and Godspeed.

The bmi forum Mod team
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Another (the last?) chapter closes for BMI.

Thanks to the team for keeping it going this long. ^

Good luck to everyone in their "new" forum homes!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
A shame, but I suppose the day had to come. Thanks to all the mods past and present, and for those who made this place what it was.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Farewell. Thanks to everyone on this forum for making it a helpful, social place. Discussion is what keeps forums alive and there is still, even after over a year, more life in this forum than there will ever be in my new home, the VA forum. There's only so much you can discuss about an airline that operates identically laid out aircraft, identical (and bland) lounges, gives miles based on money spent and charges for rewards for each individual sector.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I'll miss this forum, and BMI. Where now for UK railway discussions? (GNER discussions seem to have moved to the BA board recently).

Things about BMI that made the experience unique: The bacon sandwich in Y. The Bento box up front. 30 minute check-in with hold baggage. Flexibility around changing flights on the day at the airport. Miles you weren't expecting to credit. Miles you were expecting to debit. Free drinks and snacks for blue plus and above in Y (while it lasted). Additional guests if the lounge was quiet. Diamond Club doors. And my last flight on BMI (at the time in the throes of being taken over by BA), on a Y ticket in the business cabin on a mid-haul aircraft LHR-EDI last year.

BMI still lives on in sort in the shape of BMI Regional (who should hurry up, launch a frequent flyer scheme and join an alliance), and MBNA Diamond Club which bizarrely continues to hand out DC Miles for us to turn into Avios, with offers and competitions every so often to hand out more - how many do they have to get rid of?

BA still lacks a decent competitor and Little Red seems not to have risen to the challenge on the domestic routes - not least because Virgin is not part of an alliance and its lounges are contract ones. BMI provided much needed competition for BA, both over some of the route network and as a UK-based frequent flyer scheme, forcing BA to up the ante. Let's hope international competition and competition from LCCs keep BA on its toes.

Thanks to everyone on this forum and the mods for making it such a great place. See you elsewhere!

Last edited by wyvern; Dec 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I just wanted to add my thanks to the mod team, the wonderful bmi staff (wherever you are) and to all the regular posters over the years.

Godspeed and happy flying
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)

Thanks to the mod team...

...and to the people of British Midland, of course, for flying us safely up and down the country (and occasionally even across the Pond)

Memories...
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
We would collectively like to note each of this forum's moderators for their contributions - Wingnut, ajamieson, GoldCircle, oxon flyer and starflyergold for all the volunteer work done here through the years.
Hear, hear. Some names in there now rarely heard but who also played a crucial role in their time in making the bmi forum that haven in FT.

Originally Posted by wyvern
I'll miss this forum, and BMI. Where now for UK railway discussions?
Well, Rail UK forums will probably out-nerd the nerdiest of rail enthusiasts on the bmi forum (still undecided as to whether this is a compliment or an insult ) so that has to be the home of train anoraks.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:43 am

I'd like to thank the mods and all who posted on this forum over the years. As you can see from my profile, I'm the silent type / long time lurker. I've a vague memory of collecting my first Diamond Club miles by exchanging Texaco petrol stickers for them. It was only by following your advice that I accumulated a few million more by the time of the takeover. Those couple of weekends skiing in Isola (triple status miles to NCE) to get me lifetime gold, instead made me a BAEC GCH. Since then, I've flown +100 leisure sectors, all as Avios redemptions.

I share your memories of toasties, GUV, RCC lounge, etc. However, what's most apparent from so many of your posts is the affection we had for bmi. The people, planes and brand had a character, not just a corporate identity. I doubt if I'll ever feel the same way about BA.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:36 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I had contemplated just writing a single word: sobs.

However, that simply doesn't do justice to the wonderful people both at BD and on this board who, collectively, have given MrsNWIFlyer some of the most wonderful travel experiences, ending with TG F back from SYD, but never surpassing the fantastic lounge staff and crew on the (sadly ever diminishing towards the end) occasions when we flew on BD metal.

Thank you a million (DC miles) times over to each and every one of you.

Okay, I'll sob now ...
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:54 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by GoldCircle

We would also like to thank the good folks at bmi - at all levels - for their contributions here, and for their service to us as their passengers, customers and guests.
Thank you all. Some great memories indeed. ^
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
If I may briefly borrow the work of one Kevincm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
A big thank you from me too. May all your travels have happy landings
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:39 pm

No! don't do it.

It's a sad sad day.

I add my thanks to all those that made contributions to the forum - esp. the mods!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:44 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
It had to happen but that doesn't make it less sad.

Thanks to everyone who made this little corner of FT one of the very nicest places to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.