Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Rant: Two big Diamond Club => Avios disappointments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: Two big Diamond Club => Avios disappointments

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Two big Diamond Club => Avios disappointments

First, that it required deliberate initiative to make the transfer happen (and, in many cases, the associated inconveniences and failures described on this board).

Second, that the Avios expiry is based on the last Diamond Club activity.

To the first point, every other merger/sale has automatically resulted in a new account in the surviving programme, usually with the option/encouragement that the customer initiate a merge of accounts if the customer already had one in the "new" programme. Pan Am => Delta; TWA => American; Air West => USAir; Northwest => Delta; United/CO => UA.

To the second, pegging the expiry to the last Diamond club activity is unique, and challenging, with no general notice to this effect, and then the challenge, in many cases, of checking the last activity via one channel, phone, after concluding the transfer.

These policies clearly are designed to rely on attrition to save money. I know, there are arguments that an airline is in business to make a profit. But these lead at least to a bad taste, and often to failure on the part of programme members. Transferring the bmi miles should not be cast as a special privilege in the context of a merged loyalty programme. In all other cases above, members have been treated as nearly as equals as possible. (OK, maybe not at the upper reaches in Mileage Plus.)

Now that most of us have slogged through the first issue, this is a plea that BA change its policy from basing the Avios expiry on the last bmi activity to base it on the transfer date. This would be the good faith thing to do, given the lack of explanation of the finer - some deleterious - points, the confidence course that the transfer policies have created, and would restore good faith.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by Firewind

Second, that the Avios expiry is based on the last Diamond Club activity.
Would earning Diamond Club miles with your CC spend class as Diamond Club Activity?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
That sounds quite serious. If not the last cc activity - is it when the last booking was made or when the last journey was taken?
I flew at the end of September 2012. Hopefully it will be at least that as I have no planned flights (nor can see any that I want to take at the moment).
Oh - what's the timescale from this last 'activity' - one year, two years??
Can any mods help, or even Nicci?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
The expiry is 36 months. I don't know what the two programmes consider to be activity, or if the policies are the same in that regard.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Where did you get that expiry rule from? It doesn't seem to day that here: http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_us#
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Where did you get that expiry rule from? It doesn't seem to day that here: http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_us#
Log into your account. Click on the link "My Avios" beside your account balance. Up pops a window entitled "About Avios points" that says that - and not much else, actually.

Avios are the currency of the Executive Club. You collect them when you fly with British Airways and our partner airlines. The amount you collect depends on the distance you fly, the cabin you fly in, the type of ticket you hold and your Executive Club tier.

You can also collect Avios on hotel stays, holidays and car rental, and even when you're shopping, through deals with our wide range of partners.

Your Avios will expire if your account goes 36 months without activity.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:39 pm

Its really not hard to have some activity on your account in 36 months... I don't see what the fuss is about. If you dont plan on earning/spending anything in 36 months you have to almost wonder why you have them.

But if thats the case, just buy something cheap through the estore and that will reset the clock.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ba bob
Its really not hard to have some activity on your account in 36 months... I don't see what the fuss is about. If you dont plan on earning/spending anything in 36 months you have to almost wonder why you have them.

But if thats the case, just buy something cheap through the estore and that will reset the clock.
.... assuming the estore transaction gets posted to the BA account.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Would earning Diamond Club miles with your CC spend class as Diamond Club Activity?
Since that is the ONLY activity that is now allowed in DC it's a nonsense to suggest that the expiry would be based on anything else. I am pretty sure that Nicci has posted on this subject in a post where she announced the creation of the diamondclub.org website.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Log into your account. Click on the link "My Avios" beside your account balance. Up pops a window entitled "About Avios points" that says that - and not much else, actually.
But that still says nothing about using DC activity to set expiry dates. Once the points are moved to EC you need activity every 36 months there to keep them, which makes them the same as other Avios.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...ng-ba-com.html
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:25 am

Indeed. So there is a known glitch that is nothing to do with DC activity dates where points landing in a stale EC account may seem to disappear. However to date everyone raising this has had their points recredited.

So actually no policy linking DC activity date with Avios expiry. Just cock-up, not conspiracy? Panic over?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer

So actually no policy linking DC activity date with Avios expiry. Just cock-up, not conspiracy? Panic over?
Indeed.....the 36 months non activity rule is for your BAEC account and nothing at all to do with when your last activity was with DC.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Since that is the ONLY activity that is now allowed in DC it's a nonsense to suggest that the expiry would be based on anything else. I am pretty sure that Nicci has posted on this subject in a post where she announced the creation of the diamondclub.org website.
I thought so.
I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as my CC bill comes in I noticed that my points are posted to my DC, so I log onto mine and Mrs S's account and transfer them over within the same weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.