Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

MAN BMI Lounge to close first week September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue....

On my weekly visit to the MAN BMI lounge this morning I asked my usual question if there was any news about future BA plans for the place. The visibly upset lounge lady (far, far too nice ever to be called a dragon), told me that the staff had all been expecting it to remain open until the start of the winter timetable in October, but they have all been put on notice, and told the lounge will close permanently in the first week of September.

She had no idea if Sector Aviation (ex BMI regional) are going to contract with anybody else, but there are only BA and Flybe lounges in Terminal 3, so it looks likely there will be no more lounge facilities for those of us flying regional routes to GLA, EDI or ABZ very soon.

A sad sad day.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:41 pm

Spent a lot of time in MAN T3 Lounge. It is excellent for boarding at Gate 18.

The older Lounge Angel, Ma***, (protecting her name!) is truly outstanding and it was a pleasure patronise the lounge when she was around.

I will pop in next week to pass on my thanks and farewells.

A sad day indeed.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:46 am

Programs: not a lot
That's a real, real shame.

MAN was always my favourite bmi location. From check-in to departure the staff were amazing, every single one of them.

I remember the lounge co-ordinator going round the DC lounge asking everyone if they were ok and if they needed anything on a regular basis.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I'll be there the last weekend of August. It'll be sad to see them go, I don't use MAN much but the staff certainly did impress me (and reminded me why I had a fondness for bmi even after they scrapped the routes I used most).

Give them a BA.com/welldone - show BA management how they were appreciated. At the very least it will help their chances should they want to apply for a job with BA or one of their ground handling partners.

I wonder if when I arrive there there'll be a desk full of cards and flowers. There was at the lounge at GLA when I flew the last GLA-LHR.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for bmi Regional they may have an agreement with BA to provide lounge access until a certain date so you may see them move at least temporarily to the BA lounge.

There was a time Eastern Airways used the BA lounge at NCL but that option isn't on their website any more. It was one of the benefits they promoted when they introduced their ill fated NCL-LCY route.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Sad news and as others have said, the Manchester team have always been extremely helpful and friendly, so they be missed.

I'm very pleased that we cashed in a few Avios for a trip from MAN-LHR-BRU next week. We'll get a chance for a final visit to the lounge. Many a happy memory waiting for the BD705 from there and the call of 'Diamond Doors' etc.

It was never the best kitted out or stocked lounge you would visit, but the staff always made up for it.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAPC
It was never the best kitted out or stocked lounge you would visit, but the staff always made up for it.
I think that describes most bmi lounges - they may not look the best, they may not have the best selection of F&B, but the staff made the difference.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Oh well move on.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it still open? Can anyone know the exact date it's going to close?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: Silver all around... almost
A while ago the desk lady said she expected it would go into Servisair hands, similar to that in Aberdeen etc, not sure what blend of airlines would be using it..? T3 serves AF, KLM and lufthansa if I remember correctly?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
There are Servisair lounges in T1 (two lounges) and T2. There are also Escape Lounges in T1 and T2 but not in T3. AF and KL use the Flybe lounge in T3, LH is in T1 and use one of the Servisair lounges. SN is in T3 but I believe they use the Flybe lounge as well.

If they turn the BD lounge into a Servisair lounge who would use it? FR customers?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If they turn the BD lounge into a Servisair lounge who would use it? FR customers?
And all the other airlines customers without status. Also SN use T3 and don't have a lounge, AFAIK.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:24 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
And all the other airlines customers without status. Also SN use T3 and don't have a lounge, AFAIK.
That's true. I believe SN was using the Flybe Lounge at least a couple of years ago. I wonder if an independent lounge without airline contracts will be viable. Let's hope so.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
That's true. I believe SN was using the Flybe Lounge at least a couple of years ago. I wonder if an independent lounge without airline contracts will be viable. Let's hope so.
Likely to be good news for those of us using Priority Pass, which currently lacks a lounge in T3.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:23 am

Lounge CLOSED

Used it on Saturday for a LHR flight, signs on the door said it was closed from Today (10th). BA customers were directed to the BA lounge, but Bmi Regional customers were advised "to contact their ground services agent"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.