Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BD772 CAI-LHR flight delayed 14 hours, mechanical failure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Hi all, on the 26/7 flight CAI-LHR, and the flight was due to leave at 1650, flight was delayed for 1.5 hours before boarding. Eventually boarded. Then what ensued was 4 hours on the tarmac with the crew not knowing what to do. The french cabin crew were pretty useless. Eventually the captain at around 9 or 10pm gave up, and then what ensued was absolute chaos.

We were taken in buses across back to the gate, had to go through immigration. As I didn't have a visa I was a transit customer, they held my passport, we waited another two hours and eventually got these back, myself and 5 other passengers.

We then eventually were hoarded together, with no feedback or instructions from the local egyptian BMI staff up to this point. Calls to the bmi call centre went unanswered or passed from one person to another as I called them around 740pm London time. I was on a redemption ticket.

Eventually we were horded onto buses, elderly had no where to sit, it was complete chaos. Arrived at the Baron Hotel Heliopolis around midnight - 1am. At this point none of us had eaten since lunch earlier in the day. No food was offered, so I ended up going to the hotel restaurant. What ensued was amazing around 20 guests had no rooms, there was plenty of swearing in the lobby. I will put up everything on youtube including the captain's feedback.

Woken up at 6am after about 4 hours sleep in what can only described as a dive, this hotel had stained bedsheets, soiled bedding and furniture, weird white and bodily stains across the carpet, etc. The challenge was actually finding a lift to get to the 7th floor. So i had to cart my heavy suitcase up 7 flights of stairs.

In the morning, we were herded into vehicles to the airport. More swearing by passengers who were very upset. We arrived at Cairo airport to chaos and mayhem, people trying to extort me for money, and unable to even get through the initial security because they seized my passport the evening before as I didn't have a visa (bmi should have organised this). Waited another 1 hour+ to get my passport and eventually got through. Now at the lounge. Have been reassigned into a different seat, the flight is scheduled to leave at 10am Cairo time today... joy....

I really should have booked the Egypt Air flight y'day but the crazy bmi agent booked me on the bmi flight instead. I am kind of glad bmi is going after that whole dire story.

I've been travelling since Wednesday 6am... so you can imagine eventually arriving in London at 2-3pm.. on Friday...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
You've just described pretty much any interaction at CAI. Hateful place. You get used to it: it's an Egypt/CAI thing, not limited to bmi. Rudeness and chaos is the norm.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like a hydraulic leak, delayed then re-occurred so returned to stand.

Like ajamieson said, typical CAI experience. But you should note, the Station Manager was given a bmi Gold Superstar award for his work during the crisis. He was also given an MBE by the British Ambassador. Doesn't sound like you received 'superstar' treatment though does it?!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by kawoh
Arrived at the Baron Hotel Heliopolis... Woken up at 6am after about 4 hours sleep in what can only described as a dive, this hotel had stained bedsheets, soiled bedding and furniture, weird white and bodily stains across the carpet, etc. The challenge was actually finding a lift to get to the 7th floor. So i had to cart my heavy suitcase up 7 flights of stairs.
I was unfortunate enough to be imprisoned at the The Baron Hotel by Egyptair (they insisted on holding my passport if they were to provide overnight hotel due to a misconnection) last year.

Two comments :

a) Be glad that the elevator was not available. I spent an hour stuck in the elevator after it decided to pack up between floors.

b) My room door did not close. It showed damage consistent with having being kicked in and then hastily repaired. Fortunately, the deadbolt worked and I spent my time in the room with the deadbolt and chain in place.

If you read some of the TripAdvisor reviews for the property though, you'd think it was some sort of luxury resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.