Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC Partner: Migrating credit card spend - AMEX BA or Gold?

DC Partner: Migrating credit card spend - AMEX BA or Gold?

Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
Migrating credit card spend - AMEX BA or Gold?

The gradual migration continues - I am now Gold on BA and Aegean, redeemed most of my points (Thai/Jet airways 1st suites in a couple of weeks!).

What about credit cards? I shut down my BMI AMEX 8 months ago and took out the AMEX Gold Charge - I have about 140k on it now. I have now also taken out the BA Premier AMEX - just arrived today.

I am in a quandry - to hit the £10k on the BA AMEX to trigger 241 I need to maximise its use, and therefore I should really close down the Gold card.

However, I don't want to pump the 140k MR points anywhere yet - I will wait for a 30% extra deal from BA or Virgin. But on the other hand I don't really want to pay the £125 to renew Gold if I am not going to use it.

Any views? - I presume several are in the same boat.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Its a tricky one, as Amex no longer seems to issue the Green card.

Here is one option. Refer your partner or parents for a Gold card, assuming they have no other Amex-issued Amex's. You bank (between you) 34,000 bonus points and your partners card is fee-free in Year 1. Then, and here is the clever bit, pay £15 to Amex to transfer your MR points to your partner.

Your MR account is them empty and if there is a transfer bonus your partner will be able to take advantage. You can then cancel your Gold.

In a years time, you could also open another Gold card next year and transfer the points back.

More on the £15 transfer deal here - http://headforpoints.com/2012/07/08/...ards-features/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.