Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Rant: BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

Rant: BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:49 am
Original Poster

BMI DC Do Not Honour Gold For Life

Hello all,

I'd like to compare notes with others on the situation where DC are point blankedly refusing to follow through on their 10 year gold = lifetime gold DC status.

Despite communicating for several weeks with DC - and being passed from one person to another within DC, the last person I spoke with confirmed 'we have to abide by BA's rules'.

No acknowledgement of customer loyalty over the years, no offer of alternatives, just close the shutters down. This status is being closed to the customers who showed most loyalty to BMI and DC, and not to have even been listened to shows the way they mean to go on.

Has anyone else asked about them losing Gold for life and what is the status of your inquiry? I'd love to know how many people are affected and see if we mobilise some broader class action? What do you all say....
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: BA
This was kind of expected, no, since BA don't offer life membership? At least you've got 2 year's gold plus 1 year silver. This is 3 years' more status than you would have if BMI went bust, which was the other alternative...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You have totally missed the point.

It was not Gold status for all of YOUR life.

It was Gold status for all of BMI's life.

And BMI's life is now over.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Expected or no, I'm just seeking to identify the numbers of others in the same situation. 2 years gold v lifetime gold, you do the maths...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Martin007 I think somebody pointed this out to you in a previous thread. These were the terms & conditions which governed the DC scheme while it was up and running. It's been closed down and no longer exists. BA are actually doing you a favour (believe it or not) by matching you to BAEC gold.

9. Length of programme

1. In the event that the Diamond Club programme should be closed, bmi shall use every reasonable endeavour to publicise at least three months notice of the closure of the Diamond Club programme. At the end of that period members shall no longer be able to earn Destinations Miles or Membership Status Miles, redeem Destinations Miles or utilise Membership Status Miles nor shall the member be entitled to any benefits under the Diamond Club programme other than flights or other services already redeemed but not yet utilised prior to the end of such period.

11. Termination

2. bmi reserves the right in its absolute discretion, and upon giving reasonable notice, to terminate Diamond Club membership in part should Diamond Club cease to exist in any relevant geographic market.

12. Variation

1. bmi expressly reserves the right in its absolute discretion to withdraw, cancel, vary in any way or change at any time without notice any service or benefit previously offered or expressed or provided to Diamond Club members, or the Terms & Conditions upon which the same are so offered or provided and will not be liable for any resulting loss or damage howsoever occasioned.
2. bmi may in its absolute discretion vary or change the Terms & Conditions of membership at any time and will use its reasonable endeavours to give you notice thereof. You will be deemed to have accepted any change or variation if you retain your Card after such notice has been given.
I don't think you'll get very far with a class action and you should drop it (did you even manage to get lifetime gold, or did your expiry date cut your race short)?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
All bmi golds are now golds for life... of the programme as no ones status is being downgraded at the end of their membership year.

Unfortunately when a scheme closes then there's nothing you can do.

BA didn't have to give anyone anything, they understood that it was good business to match status and allow us to move our miles over. Unfortunately they don't have a lifetime gold in their scheme so they couldn't match any more in that tier.

If enough lifetime golds are unhappy then they might offer something extra as a surprise gift but there's been no evidence of that happening and if they do then it's certainly more than they have to do.

Just look at it in a more positive light. bmi were performing very poor financially, Lufthansa didn't seem to have the will to turn them around and make them viable. Virgin weren't putting their money where their mouth is and even if Virgin had taken over and given all lifetime golds lifetime status in their scheme they don't have the route network of BA or the alliance to fill the gaps. So if BA hadn't taken over then bmi may have been wound up and you'd have ended up with nothing.

I'm not totally pleased with the way BA have handled this but the way they've handled it is better than most expected and as BA Silver is similar in benefits to *G then a lot of people have done quite well out of this.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:52 am

Seriously I can understand your frustration as I made Lifetime Gold this year , yep bummer

We all knew the deal and Im just happy to have been given 3 years BA Status and will make the most of it . My number one Alliance will always be Star and I have sorted that status out for a good number of years but last year I knew I wouldnt get lifetime . So you can imagine the dissapointment but you need to move on . Getting yourself stressed will not change anything .

Take the BA Gold enjoy the F class lounges for 18-24 months and then get a soft landing to Silver ( unless you make BA Gold again ) . See it as an opportunity to try something new.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Got to agree with the others on this..you're on a futile mission

Last edited by colmc; Jun 27, 2012 at 8:57 am
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:00 am

What exactly is the issue?

Your Diamond Club Gold status is indeed valid for the rest of your life and you will be able to use it to claim benefits on all remaining BMI flights in eternity.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by martin007
Hello all,

I'd like to compare notes with others on the situation where DC are point blankedly refusing to follow through on their 10 year gold = lifetime gold DC status.

Despite communicating for several weeks with DC - and being passed from one person to another within DC, the last person I spoke with confirmed 'we have to abide by BA's rules'.

No acknowledgement of customer loyalty over the years, no offer of alternatives, just close the shutters down. This status is being closed to the customers who showed most loyalty to BMI and DC, and not to have even been listened to shows the way they mean to go on.

Has anyone else asked about them losing Gold for life and what is the status of your inquiry? I'd love to know how many people are affected and see if we mobilise some broader class action? What do you all say....

Were you really Lifetime Gold as in April you posted

Now IAG has completed their takeover of BMI and confirmed the date DC will leave the *A, I have been denied the opportunity for lifetime gold - two years short.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Raffles
You have totally missed the point.

It was not Gold status for all of YOUR life.

It was Gold status for all of BMI's life.

And BMI's life is now over.
Exactly.

BA used to have invitational Gold for life, too, until it reneged on that arrangement some years ago. Since protests at the abolition of lifetime status on an ongoing airline were unsuccessful, I would think efforts to keep lifetime status in a defunct airline are doomed to failure.

Lots of us in the same boat, btw. Could be worse: we could have lost all our miles and status.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disappointing but as others have noted, bankruptcy could have seen everything go up in a big puff of smoke- mile, status not to mention every single job.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by ajamieson
BA used to have invitational Gold for life, too, until it reneged on that arrangement some years ago. Since protests at the abolition of lifetime status on an ongoing airline were unsuccessful, I would think efforts to keep lifetime status in a defunct airline are doomed to failure.
Did they do anything to make up for removing the lifetime benefit? Seems a way to really annoy who should be your best customers needlessly.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by layz
Did they do anything to make up for removing the lifetime benefit? Seems a way to really annoy who should be your best customers needlessly.
What's the issue - you've got free BA Gold. If you fly BA enough in the next year you'll get Gold + the additional perks at higher Tier Points. You'll be a good customer of BA and get rewarded.

If you not a good BA customer, you'll start with Gold and gradually fall down through the ranks of the Exec Club and end up with nothing.

Looks like BA have done the right thing - after all they could have given BD Golds BA Silver Cards, which is really the equivalent level. Think yourself lucky that you're getting in the Flounge and aren't left in the gutter with no miles and no status earned on an bankrupt airline.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
As others have said, bmi havent taken away their lifetime gold - it's just not worth very much now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.