Which baggage allowance?????

Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI
Which baggage allowance?????

Hi,

I'll be flying from Melbourne to Manchester next week. The routing is Mel-Bkk-Lhr-Man. The carrier is Thai Airways from Mel-Lhr and then a BMI operated flight with a BA flight number from Lhr-Man.

All flights are in business.

My question is this. The luggage allowance shows as 30kgs for the international sectors but only 20kg for the Lhr-Man flight. I need to use the full 30kgs and perhaps some more. But does anyone know if I will encounter trouble because of the lower limit on the domestic sector?

Cheers!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:54 am
soy

Programs: various
Your luggage should be checked through to MAN, so no issues
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Similar question for a route with mainly I class redemptions, but one segment is on a flight with only economy config, so booked in there on X class.

No longer have *G, so will the general nature of the itinerary allow J luggage rules to be applied? It's on UA/CO if that matters.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:21 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Similar question for a route with mainly I class redemptions, but one segment is on a flight with only economy config, so booked in there on X class.

No longer have *G, so will the general nature of the itinerary allow J luggage rules to be applied? It's on UA/CO if that matters.
Should be fine if on a same day connnection. Problems only start if you have a stopover prior to the Y flight.
If you have no status to match, you could earn A3 silver easily (earn 3k miles) and that gets you free bag on domestic flights in US
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by soy
Should be fine if on a same day connnection. Problems only start if you have a stopover prior to the Y flight.
If you have no status to match, you could earn A3 silver easily (earn 3k miles) and that gets you free bag on domestic flights in US
The perils of brevity due to posting from mobile ...

One of the main reasons I asked (but didn't explain) was that as the US airlines introduce charges and *A status slips away its a whole new experience.

Trip involves a 24h transit. We intend to leave YYZ having arrived on I class before coming back for onward flight to EWR in X.

Amadeus shows two bags allowed on all segments, so that is good ^, but https://bags.amadeus.com/Display.aspx?a=UA is saying both bags are chargeable in economy .

But https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/tra...edBaggage.aspx says 'Full-fare United Economy' gets 2 free checked bags, so hopefully X gets that treatment too !

Might be handy if the AC *G match comes through in time . That gets 3 bags free.

Final hope is that AC will interline YVR-YYZ-EWR, but not sure how that would work on the pre-immigration side of things.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
How is AC going to interline YVR-YYZ-EWR? You still want to stop over 24 hours in YYZ? Your baggage will not be checked through if you overnight.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
How is AC going to interline YVR-YYZ-EWR? You still want to stop over 24 hours in YYZ? Your baggage will not be checked through if you overnight.
Sorry, that's a <24h transit, specifically about 23h .

I have no idea why AC would or would not be able to do this, hence my question. As far as I can recall all my flights for the past 15 years or so have been single segment leisure trips with checked luggage, or hand-luggage only business trips that sometime involve same-day or overnight transit. I have no reference point for even 'simple' interlining of checked luggage.

I assume that if AC can interline on a typical ~2h transit for a route then an overnight transit on the same route would be handled the same if we stayed in the airport, and imagined that us leaving the airport but keeping the baggage airside could work as well in terms of not having to recheck bags.

Are you saying that could never work because of the overnight nature of the transit?

And of course there is the complication here of the US immigration process at YYZ. But I assume this also has mechanisms for handling transit luggage.

I think I often see *A luggage centres near luggage collection carousels. What do they do? Any use in this scenario?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I guess you're continuing your question over at the AC forum : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post18805858
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I guess you're continuing your question over at the AC forum : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post18805858
Indeed. My original quesiton here was about how luggage rules for mixed classes might be applied, but since you picked up on the interline comment here I replied even though that other specific thread had been started.

I'd be happy to get your further thoughts and clarifications in either place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.