Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: EI moving from BFS to BHD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
EI moving from BFS to BHD

According to the BBC

Co-operation with BA anyone?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Sounds like the BBC reporter has been reading PPrune where there have been many rumours but few facts. No confirmation from EI or BHD management yet. Perhaps an opportunity for BFS to lower their charges, but I suppose it would make a lot of sense for EI/BA cooperation.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Sounds like the BBC reporter has been reading PPrune where there have been many rumours but few facts. No confirmation from EI or BHD management yet. Perhaps an opportunity for BFS to lower their charges, but I suppose it would make a lot of sense for EI/BA cooperation.
If true, i think it is a signal BA won't be running BHD route much longer. I'd like to see BHD-BHX taken up by them though as FlyBe have stranglehold on BHD-BFS since WW went.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jdbelfast
If true, i think it is a signal BA won't be running BHD route much longer.
I can't imagine BA giving up the BHD route and leaving most of it for EI to enjoy on their own apart from giving some transfer traffic to BA.
This route has been earning good money for bmi for some time now with very good yields from point to point traffic. On most peak flights nearly 3/4 or more of the aircraft is reserved for flexible economy customers.
With BA's strong commercial strength i'm sure they can make this route an even bigger success than what bmi was able to make of it.

However I see the opposite with the DUB route as there is a lot more transfering and leisure traffic with lower yields. With EI's high frequency on the route it makes perfect sense for them to continue operating on behalf of BA which will allow BA to use the bmi slots for other longhaul routes.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdbelfast
FlyBe have stranglehold on BHD-BFS since WW went.
Not much of a market for that one
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffBHD
. Is my memory playing tricks on me or were there some Flybe (well Jersey European then) flights that used to stop at both airports, making a short hop from BFS to BHD and then onwards to their destination?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:07 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by NickB
. Is my memory playing tricks on me or were there some Flybe (well Jersey European then) flights that used to stop at both airports, making a short hop from BFS to BHD and then onwards to their destination?
They had a short-lived tag on STN-BHD-LDY using a BAE146 and then a SD360. Didn't last very long, was back in the mid 90s IIRC.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
They had a short-lived tag on STN-BHD-LDY using a BAE146 and then a SD360. Didn't last very long, was back in the mid 90s IIRC.
Can't remember that one but I do remember Capital (?) doing a LTN-BHD run with 360 and 146 and DUB-BHD with just the 360.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
D'Oh! meant BHX

How I'd love to see an alternative to Flybe on BHD-BHX
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: BD Lifetime Gold (hah!), EI Gold Elite, TK Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sugababe
On most peak flights nearly 3/4 or more of the aircraft is reserved for flexible economy customers.
With BA's strong commercial strength i'm sure they can make this route an even bigger success than what bmi was able to make of it.
I don't think that statement is correct. I am a regular traveller on the BD81, BD90 and BD92, all of which would be classed as peak flights. There have nearly always been only 6-8 rows of flexible economy when I have been on these flights in the last few months. Typical loading on a bmi peak time flight of late seems to be around 60%-70%. It's not many years since they were nearly always full, plus in those days the average fare paid would have been a lot higher.

I very much doubt that bmi were making any profit on BHD-LHR of late.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by devbel
I don't think that statement is correct. I am a regular traveller on the BD81, BD90 and BD92, all of which would be classed as peak flights. There have nearly always been only 6-8 rows of flexible economy when I have been on these flights in the last few months. Typical loading on a bmi peak time flight of late seems to be around 60%-70%. It's not many years since they were nearly always full, plus in those days the average fare paid would have been a lot higher.

I agree that flex economy was rarely more than 6 rows, but fare prices over the last year have been sky high IMO. I've regularly paid £400 lowest fare even when booking 7-10 days ahead. Only in the last 3 months have fares reduced, even more so since it became bookable through BA.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:58 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I agree that flex economy was rarely more than 6 rows, but fare prices over the last year have been sky high IMO. I've regularly paid £400 lowest fare even when booking 7-10 days ahead. Only in the last 3 months have fares reduced, even more so since it became bookable through BA.
An therein was the problem - revenue management was strange on both BHD-LHR and DUB-LHR high fares but few paxs even on peak flights. There was a tread on this. Since flights moved to ba.com it seems that the ba rev. management is being used hence more sensible fares. For example, a few weeks ago was looking for a cheap fare LHR-BHD in late August for my daughter - flybmi.com quoted £172 and hurry only one seat left. Same flight now is coming in on ba.com at £54, expert flyer showing plenty of seats left in all classes.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by devbel

Maybe my experiences in the last 12 months have been BD88 and BD90 on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
In the early 1990s, LHR-BFS was one of BA's most profitable routes.

Northern Ireland people (of which I am one) apparently didn't travel much back then, and when they did, they liked to be back home for dinner, so the 5-6 rotations per day were full in both directions on both BA and BD flying BFS-LHR. There was also space for Jersey European (now FlyBe) flying BHD-LGW and even Manx doing BHD-LHR.

I flew very regularly back and forth in those days.

Then the low-cost carriers came and it all changed. Not surprisingly fares plummeted. Around 40% of travelers on the Belfast-London route will choose the cheapest seat, regardless of carrier.

This will not have helped BA & BD's profits on the route.

BD then moved to BHD, a wise move for business travelers going to Belfast.

At the time of their exit from BFS, BA said they were losing a few million per year on the route.

I do not know about BD's profitability on the route of late, but it will be interesting to see what BA does with all the domestic routes they have acquired along with the rest of BD.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
In the early 1990s, LHR-BFS was one of BA's most profitable routes.

Northern Ireland people (of which I am one) apparently didn't travel much back then, and when they did, they liked to be back home for dinner, so the 5-6 rotations per day were full in both directions on both BA and BD flying BFS-LHR. There was also space for Jersey European (now FlyBe) flying BHD-LGW and even Manx doing BHD-LHR.

I flew very regularly back and forth in those days.

Then the low-cost carriers came and it all changed. Not surprisingly fares plummeted. Around 40% of travelers on the Belfast-London route will choose the cheapest seat, regardless of carrier.

This will not have helped BA & BD's profits on the route.

BD then moved to BHD, a wise move for business travelers going to Belfast.

At the time of their exit from BFS, BA said they were losing a few million per year on the route.

I do not know about BD's profitability on the route of late, but it will be interesting to see what BA does with all the domestic routes they have acquired along with the rest of BD.
You kind of sumed it all up really . That was the way it certainly was . It wasnt un common for business professionals to pay GBP250-300 for a day return to LHR EDI etc... People seemed to accept it in those days when the company were paying for it thats of course until the LCC came in and companies laid down spend caps for staff travel. BA and BD felt the pinch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.