Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

"Flexible economy" service comes to an end

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S

I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere on the board - apologies if this is a duplicate of something already posted. Anyway, we all expected this to come, I'm sure, but I noticed on this page that BA have announced changes to catering and service for UK domestic/Dublin flights once they move over to BA codes (and Hanover, but that's happened already):

- Everybody gets complementary catering and drinks
- UK domestic flights are to be single cabin
- Dublin will get business class back, with a hot meal

So basically matching the BA product, which makes sense. ^ Other than potentially ending up on an Embraer on certain routes, the BD domestics will pretty much mirror the BA domestics in terms of service. It will at least be nice to have a free drink again in cheapo economy!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by orudge
- Dublin will get business class back, with a hot meal
For the shortest European flights (band 1) I think the only hot meal served is for breakfast. It's a salad for dinner and I think afternoon tea is scones and sandwiches. They do take special meal requests in CE.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I hadn't seen it elsewhere so glad you posted - Flexible economy didn't last very long and was, to be honest, a rather poor concept from BMI in many ways. This is however good news for almost all flyers who are still booked with BMI, and not unexpected - glad that I'll get a few nibbles on my next BD (now BA) flight to Edinburgh for example. However, if you have a flexible economy ticket its probably worth cancelling and rebooking... a little cheeky that BA is effectively leaving those who've paid more with less - they should have booked them into domestic business uk so that lounge access is gaurenteed?

Why was Flexible economy a good idea;
- Reward those booking the most expensive tickets with a few perks
- Let frequent travellers work around corporate restrictions on "economy only" whilst still paying business class fares

Why was Flexible economy terribly implemented;
- It led to ridiculous scenarios where you could have either an Inflexible "Flexible Economy" fare (i.e. discounted business) or, far worse from my perspective - a fully flexible economy fare (B/M corporate route deal) that didn't book into the Flexible Economy cabin
- The BMI product went from superior to inferior to BAs on the domestics for regular fliers who weren't splashing out the most money - by which I mean the blue+ meal deal was far better than BA's food onboard, whereas the BA lounges were always better. With flexible economy you had almost no food from BD on domestics unless in the most expensive ticket, and in some cases your extra Ł100 only bought you a piece of (tasty) cake.
- The economy product offering (buy on board) became worse and worse as the flexible economy offering degraded
- I didn't ever see people choosing to fly Flexible economy, the only time it seemed popular was on the most expensive flights when no other tickets were available so BMI gave away something extra that they would have probably sold anyway.

After this announcement are there any BMI operated routes left after July?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:28 am

After this announcement are there any BMI operated routes left after July?
Shorthaul no. Only midhaul except AMM & BEY (BD996/7 only).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
AMM is being transferred along with ABZ, EDI and BEY 907/906.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
This should mean reward flight saver redemption on Dublin route too right? 4500 + Ł13.50 one way - with often next day availability - will be very very useful for me.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
You can get that already - BD flights are eligible for Reward Flight Saver on BA. They're not eligible for miles + cash though, only BA-coded flights are.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:23 pm

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
I wonder if/when the BA hot breakfast will make an appearance on domestics between LHR T1, ABZ, EDI and BHD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.