Search

UK Miles Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 4:27 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
UK Miles Rip Off

After reading a lot of reports etc on here, it seems to be living in the UK means we pay a lot for to rdeem and use miles. USA seems to have the best deals. I booked 2 x business returns LHR-DXB, 120,000 BMI miles + £900 in taxes....is it fair to say UK customers get the worse deal when it comes to earning and redeeming miles?
Old May 26, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Much of the tax is due to UK Air Passenger Duty. In the US, sometimes the taxes are lower, but there is nothing that equal(ed) the value of DC redemptions. 37.5k + £210 + tax for business to USA is unbeatable. Travel from ROI, Europe or Scandinavia to save the UK APD.

£450 each for two business returns to DXB is excellent value IMO
Old May 27, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You will find that DUB-LHR-DXB or AMS-LHR-DXB is about £300 cheaper because of the APD, the additional costs usually cover a cheap positioning flight.

Welcome to FT, by the way.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by gav0106
After reading a lot of reports etc on here, it seems to be living in the UK means we pay a lot for to rdeem and use miles. USA seems to have the best deals. I booked 2 x business returns LHR-DXB, 120,000 BMI miles + £900 in taxes....is it fair to say UK customers get the worse deal when it comes to earning and redeeming miles?
Welcome to FT.

If you stumble across a better value program in the world than DC, be sure to let us know. We're all looking.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by gav0106
I think you have to look at the whole earn/burn cycle to get a feel for that. Cost/convenience of adjusting flights, hotel, car credit card, etc preferences to collect those 120k miles.

If you booked those flights on a US carrier/programme you would probably have still had to pay UK government taxes (but maybe not YQ).

Overall I think DC is considered very good over that end-to-end process.
Old May 27, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
It obviously all depends. DC was very good value over the years for me, though paying the YQ on award seats irks me, whether it be BD or BA. I recently redeemed a one-way in F on UA from the US to Switzerland which cost a total of $5 in cash in addition to 67,500 UA miles vs. the 56,250 miles it would have cost me using DC (if my memory serves me correctly) plus £???? in YQ and other taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.