Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 3, 12, 11:39 am   #1
MKB

UK travel insurance that covers cancelled inbound flight?

Hopefully, this is now all hypothetical as I've managed to get flights re-booked, but it's left me realising how exposed I am, and I'd like to protect against future problems.

I'm travelling to the Ukraine in June. The only affordable way to do it was on three separate bookings. I'm booked outbound on a one-way BA flight to Kiev. Then there's an internal flight to Donetsk. Getting back from Donetsk to Birmingham is a business-class mileage booking through bmi (- so not entirely off-topic!). The routing is DOK-(TK)-IST-(LH)-FRA-(LH/BD).

A couple of weeks ago, I spotted that that the TK flight had been cancelled. BD were able to get me re-booked on to an earlier TK flight and bring the other two flights forward to better connect. (Apart from not notifying me of the problem, the BD call centre was excellent. Couldn't fault them for the re-booking process.)

However, I was left wondering what would happen if the inbound flights are cancelled again. My Amex Platinum Charge Card travel insurance would seem to be next to useless. This provides cancellation cover only if the outbound leg is delayed by a 12 hours, and then only for industrial action, adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of public transport, or a transportation accident. Travel cancelled by the supplier is not covered, even on the outbound journey.

Is there travel insurance available in the UK that will cover me for non-cancellable travel costs if any essential part of my travel is cancelled and which cannot be replaced without additional expenditure and which means that I need to cancel the whole trip?
MKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 12, 4:56 am   #2

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Isn't it bmi that are responsible to get you from Donetsk to Birmingham? There are flights on LH via MUC, OS flights via VIE and LO flights via LOT (with the latter two requiring a second connection somewhere to get you to BHX), so not sure it would be such a problem.
Old Mar 9, 12, 4:08 pm   #3

Programs: BA GGL (only 20k short of Lifetime Gold), TK Elite (*G), HHonors Gold
Some policies would cover it (I think) under public transport failure leading to a missed connection - though given how convoluted language can be am not 100% certain. Check out Amex policy terms - they at least define public transport as including aircraft
lorcancoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 6:07 pm   #4
MKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle View Post
Check out Amex policy terms - they at least define public transport as including aircraft
I did. See OP.
MKB is offline   Reply With Quote