OT: Redemptions to/via BKK

Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Redemptions to BKK

The FCO has this morning issued an advisory against all but essential travel to Bangkok itself and the provinces seriously affected by the floods. Transit through BKK is not affected at this time.

This thread on the Thailand forum is a useful update of the situation

If you have redemptions booked over the coming days/week to/via BKK I would seriously keep an eye on the situation and your bookings in case TG starts cancelling flights.

Bangkok has been given a 5 day public holiday so that people can evacuate the city and having seen some of the pictures and footage, many workers may struggle to get to the airport from their homes.

Last edited by Tiger_lily; Oct 27, 2011 at 2:47 am Reason: Clarified text around transit
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
We were planning to go to Bangkok to celebrate my 34th birthday last week but decided not to. I spent ages on ANA checking award seats on numerous routes and even had SIA 77W seats on hold.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
Transited through BKK on Sunday, things were operating fine but it looked bad. Those huge concrete canals they have by the taxiways were full and overflowing, not good. Back through on my way home next Friday, fingers crossed all is well, and of course thoughts go out to the locals, they're doing it tough and no let up at all in sight.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by netd
Transited through BKK on Sunday, things were operating fine but it looked bad. Those huge concrete canals they have by the taxiways were full and overflowing, not good. Back through on my way home next Friday, fingers crossed all is well, and of course thoughts go out to the locals, they're doing it tough and no let up at all in sight.
From the local politicals here, them try to keep the new airport open.
As well as the city center around SILOM and SUKUMVIT actually the new airport is not affected until now. Also the highway and BTS runs normaly.

But the old airport Donmuang and the area around as Ruangsit is flooded.
Only higher trucks could pass, normal cars stuck in water.
The bigger problems are, to get anywhere north from BKK, but south is still open.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Strawb
...and even had SIA 77W seats on hold.
In C or F using BD miles? How did you do that?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Olip
In C or F using BD miles? How did you do that?
By calling the ICC to check for availability in business (SIN-LHR). Obviously I couldn't see the seats on ANA. There's already been some discussion regarding seats now being widely available on 77W and A380 aircraft on certain SIA longhaul routes - check out the successful redemptions thread.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
just cancelled my cash and miles flights booked for next week - a pity but would prefer to try again when things settle down. The call centre was reasonably efficient
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
Change of booking

Was booked in F for Monday 31st Oct but managed to change booking to end of the next week by paying 20 pounds fee.

Indian Male at ICC was polite and dealt with this quickly.

Had to push him to book the seat number as tried to palm me off to call Thai but he did it after I pointed out it had been done on my original booking.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Just changed 7th November flights Hong Kong to BKK to Ho Chi Minh and then 15th November flights Ho Chi Mink to BKK to Heathrow to be Singapore instead of BKK. ICC changed my Thai flights to Singapore Airlines (all business flights) with no change fees.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, HH Diamond & some others
I changed my flights Brisbane-Bangkok-Hong Kong flying Thai in C on 29 October with a 20 hour 'stopover' in BKK to Brisbane-Singapore-Hong Kong flying Singapore in C on same day with no stopover. Made the change on 26 October but had to pay the change fees and the tax difference. Did mention the flooding and it wasn't safe to travel, Thai had a waiver in place, etc... but still the charge. Am now following up with Pre-Travel Support to see if I should/shouldn't have been charged. The on-cost was only Ł137 for 2 so not hugely bothered especially as I prefer SIA over Thai anyway.

Originally Posted by NorthOrSouth
Just changed 7th November flights Hong Kong to BKK to Ho Chi Minh and then 15th November flights Ho Chi Mink to BKK to Heathrow to be Singapore instead of BKK. ICC changed my Thai flights to Singapore Airlines (all business flights) with no change fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.