Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

TG cancel flight - business reward - what help can I expect?

Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI

Hi

I was booked to travel on an award ticket in business class with Thai on Saturday 6th Aug at 23.59 on TG477 from BKK - SYD.

They have cancelled this flight and put me onto TG471 at 07.55 the next morning some eight hours later.

Does anyone know if they will accommodate us over night in BKK?

The other option is asking to swap to the TG 475 at 19.15 on the original departure date - but this would mean changing our connecting flight with Bangkok Airways from Koh Samui. Does anyone know if TG will cover the cost of this change?

Or maybe BMI DC would consider putting us on a non Star Alliance flight nearer to my original departure time?

The truth is, I have no idea of what I can expect in terms of assistance from BMI DC or Thai Airways.

Anyone with experience out there....your advice would be very welcome!

Cheers!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Similar but not identical situation. UA cancelled my YYZ-ORD flight on a Aeroplan (Air Canada) award. They protected me on a flight 6 hours later but I was going to miss my (same ticket) connection onwards from ORD. I called UA and they said you are SOL, call aeroplan. I called aeroplan and they re-routed my ticket for free onto another carrier from ORD. They were not willing to put me on a non *A carrier nor were they willing to put me on another flight with no award seats which sucks but the flight I wanted had seats luckily.

I am not sure of the exact rule, but I think TG has given you enough warning (by the rules - not a personal opinion of mine or anything ) that they don't have to provide a hotel for overnight. I am sure they'd put you on the earlier TG flight but I doubt they would pay for a change for the non TG flight.

I am not sure if you have been to BKK before / like the city, but IMHO the overnight in BKK is a blessing in disguise. I am here right now, and it really is one of my favourite cities.!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I have been in similar situations a few times (on rev ticket though)- if the airline gives you sufficient notice (2 weeks I think), then your options are unfortunately limited to accepting the alternative routing offered by the airline or get a full refund I am afraid. The excuse is that they gave you enough notice so that you can make alternate arrangements if necessary.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
but IMHO the overnight in BKK is a blessing in disguise. I am here right now, and it really is one of my favourite cities.!
Wonder why
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
TG will not pay for your hotel and certainly not any fees for changing your connecting flights on a separate ticket.

If you call TG, TG will most likely refer you to BMI. However, BMI will not be able to rebook you unless the flight has availability in I class. You will certainly not be rebooked to a non*A partner.

In my opinion, rather than spending a lot of time on the phone, being referred from TG to BMI and perhaps back to TG again, I would book a hotel on my own downtown BKK and spent the night there. Hotels in BKK are cheap so your loss will be minor and you will be able to enjoy the evening/night in BKK. You can also choose to stay at the Airport Novotel , but that can be quite expensive. There are cheaper hotels near the airport - try to search in the TG and Thailand forum.

Your flight leaves quite early in the morning. If you prefer to fly later in the day call TG; your request will most likely be accommodated if you explain that this flight is inconvenient and too early for you.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You can also choose to stay at the Airport Novotel , but that can be quite expensive.
This is true, but where else in the world can you swim in a hotel pool whilst looking at the flashing lights on the air traffic control tower?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
No swimming pool but

Silver Gold Garden 10mins from airport 800bht($26) pr nite inc bf free pickup/drop off quiet, clean, nr river side resturant(not hotels) canal tours ,local markets^^
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI
Red face

Thanks all....

I think I got lucky. I called the ICC and asked them to put us on the earlier flight in business on the Saturday. They explained that there was no award availability left in that class on that flight. I asked them as the 'agents' to call Thai yield control to ask for two seats allocation to be shifted to accommodate us as displaced passengers. Initially, they refused to do this and then once I had said that I would want to talk with 'Donnington' Pre Flight Support and then asked to speak with a supervisor, I was.... wait for it.... offered the flight that we wanted yet in FIRST class with only the additional taxes payable. The extra miles (and cash component) were waived.

What Anne Robinson would have called 'a result' back in the hay day of Watchdog!

As I say, I think I got lucky and they probably just wanted to get rid of a pain in the neck passenger.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by Mr H
This is true, but where else in the world can you swim in a hotel pool whilst looking at the flashing lights on the air traffic control tower?
SXM St Maarten for one.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Persistance pays OLIVERFILE.. Well done.

And all credit due to PTS for coming up with a generous solution.

Looking forward to the trip report..

Grantosol ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.