Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC panic (over) - forced migration to M&M for Netherlands, Israel and Ukraine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC panic (over) - forced migration to M&M for Netherlands, Israel and Ukraine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Raffles
Interesting point. It would be ironic if Silvers who transferred were refused access to BMI lounge in the future!

The timing of this is all weird. Yesterday we had the CEO talking (voluntarily) about the possibility of North America again, new routes into the Middle East and hopes to grow the business in 2 years when the leased slots come back. And now this ....
It seems to me like LH wants to keep all its options open and is trying to have its cake and eat as much of it as it can.

BD DC cannot be wrapped up by May 16th because that would mean LH would have to decide what path it wants to take and because BD would likely have outstanding contractual tie-ups that cannot be unwound that fast.

When I responded to the posting on this forum about the WSJ article related to BD, something struck me as weird at first too -- that is unless something like this dual-track were to happen.

I did notice that BD's website became a lot more interested in IP address of log-in a couple of days ago, with the BMI Silver sign-up promotion going around the same time.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:46 pm

I cant see it at all. Shame, I would have liked to earn LH FTL early
But I would have liked to keep my DC account, to get gold

edit: Ive got it now

Last edited by hifly15; Apr 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
I really hope it's not the end of DC and that the suggestion that this is on an opt-in basis only stands.
I won't panic....going by the wording it looks as if we have the option of opting in or not although why anyone would want to is beyond me.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I won't panic....going by the wording it looks as if we have the option of opting in or not although why anyone would want to is beyond me.
I thought the wording said that after 16/05 no earning or spending in DC?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I think I'll stick to KF if I'm forced to migrate to M&M. 100k miles to get *G is just not on the cards...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR*G

What we've come up with is
- not a disaster, the LH burning rates seem to be about the same
How did you work that one out...?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
LH burn rates are terrible unless you're booking a companion award. And forget 1-way awards too...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aster
I think I'll stick to KF if I'm forced to migrate to M&M. 100k miles to get *G is just not on the cards...
If the ease of acquiring and/or retaining *G status for purposes of *G perks is the driving motivation and LH looks a pain, look at AC, OZ and even TK -- perhaps after even taking up BD on this LH offer. In that aspect, the duration of *G + *S status with LH from doing this conversion is the only reason I would entertain the migration option -- otherwise I find LH's program to be a generally lousy program compared to what I am used to with other carriers.

I think we are going to see DC continue for at least the remainder of this year, LH courting some DC members (based on opt-ins and/or geographical location of account) more than others, and BD devaluing DC in some ways.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by clubman
It seems that a number of the long-haul burning rates are pretty similar, although with the major caveat that miles plus cash is not available with M&M. For instance, Z1-Z9 in BD is 100K/150K/250K, with M&M it's 100K/160K/240K. Z3-Z9 is 80K/120K/200K with BD, 80K/120K/180K M&M. Of course, the likes of short-haul European redemptions, or Z1-Z3, are much, much more expensive with M&M.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
I was looking at LHR-SYD for example -- 100K on both. OK, 150 vs 160 in J.
Isn't a RTW ticket cheaper on LH (200K vs 180K)? Maybe these were just lucky guesses looking at the reward charts -- I see central / south America are more expensive on LH, for example.

Or am I missing something?

BD: http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/diam...e-flights.aspx
LH: http://www.miles-and-more.com/mediap...dia_772322.pdf
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
BD DC cannot be wrapped up by May 16th because that would mean LH would have to decide what path it wants to take and because BD would likely have outstanding contractual tie-ups that cannot be unwound that fast.
They're only talking about opening up a transfer offer for that date not wrapping it up....yet.

Also, LH will IMHO keep the bmi brand going just as they have with Swiss etc so I expect to see bmi continuing to fly under LH and also expect a wider network to open up too.

My issue is that the benefits of the FF programme is the driver of who I fly with. M+M just doesn't look appealing at the moment and neither does BAEC, working out the best option is going to be painful as none will be as good as DC, its a choice of which hurts the least..
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, BW Diamond, HG Platinum
Had thought about UA F running for BD Gold, so scratch that idea. Instead I have that 3 month promo silver BD status. I need ~1500 miles to keep it for 9 more months and apparently inherit FTL, which is probably worthwhile...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jms_uk
I thought the wording said that after 16/05 no earning or spending in DC?
Only if you opted in is how I interpreted it.

I take it if you don't wish to opt in things will carry on as normal........wishful thinking maybe.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

So, just restating the obvious:

DC is becoming part of M&M
Miles can be earned/redeemed until May 15
Starting May 16 and lasting until DC acct is migrated to M&M, miles cannot be earned/redeemed

Right?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Still no change showing here, logged in or not.

Whilst it is now the least of my worries, this does seem to be correlated to the shopping site still not working for my IP for the last few days.

Damn.

One BMI Amex and one BMI M/C devaluing before my very eyes, not to mention the miles, the miles ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.