Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Business Class replaced by 'FlexiY' on LHR-UK/Ireland from 27 Jan 2010; end of Blue+

Business Class replaced by 'FlexiY' on LHR-UK/Ireland from 27 Jan 2010; end of Blue+

Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Exclamation Business Class replaced by 'FlexiY' on LHR-UK/Ireland from 27 Jan 2010; end of Blue+

As per City AM advert this morning, page 3:

"Complimentary food and drink, lounge access, 30 minute check in, fully flexible tickets and a seat at the front of the plane. Our new Flexible Economy service launches on 27 January. Available on all UK and Ireland flights to and from London Heathrow"
Does this mean the end of business class, and hello to stale cheese luft-rolls?

Discuss...

Last edited by kt74; Jan 18, 2010 at 2:18 am Reason: Spelling, doh!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kt74
As per City AM advert this morning, page 3:

Does this mean the end of business class, and hello to stale cheese luft-rolls?

Discuss...
Seems so. From the website

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 18, 2010 at 2:34 am Reason: Tidy-up
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Economy. You've never had it so good.

For those of you that haven't been able to travel in Business Class because of the recession but feel you need to travel with a little more ease and flexibility, then we have the solution. On our shorthaul flights to and from London Heathrow we are introducing an all new way to travel. Flexible Economy adds extra ease and relaxation to your journey but without having the business price tag.

The benefits of flying in Flexible Economy:

Fully flexible ticket - no charges for changes
30 minute check-in
Business lounge access at both ends of your route
Priority seating at the front of the plane
Complimentary food and drink served
onboard throughout the day
Lower rate Air Passenger Duty.

Flexible Economy is designed with your travel needs in mind, so experience this new service and book today for your flights from 27 January 2010 onwards. If you have a question about Flexible Economy, view our questions and answers.

Flexible Economy Questions and Answers <link>

What changes are you making?

The key changes are:

The removal of the separate Business Class cabin on routes between Heathrow and Belfast City, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow to operate as a single cabin
Two fares will be available for shorthaul flights - Economy and Flexible Economy
Flexible Economy will offer complimentary catering, whilst Economy will offer a paid-for service
There will be no complimentary catering in Economy for Diamond Club Blue Plus, Silver or Gold card members

Why are these changes being made?

Flexible Economy is being introduced to meet changes in our customers needs. With many corporate customers currently no longer being able to afford to fly in Business Class, this new product will mean customers can receive preferential treatment at an affordable price.

What can I expect when purchasing a Flexible Economy fare?

Flexible Economy offers value for money and a range of benefits including 30 minute check-in at London Heathrow, business lounge access, guaranteed seating at the front of the plane, complimentary food and drinks onboard, priority boarding and disembarking and fully flexible tickets.

Does the new mainline shorthaul product still offer a two cabin service?

No, the new product is one cabin (with Flexible Economy and Economy fares) within two zones.

I have booked a Business Class ticket before 18/1/10 for travel after 27/1/10?

You will be able to enjoy the new Flexible Economy product when you travel. All eligible bookings will be entitled to obtain a refund of the APD difference.

Will I be entitled to a refund of the APD tax?

If you're booked to travel in Business Class after 27 January 2010, you may have paid additional APD tax, and you may be entitled to a refund. If you booked directly with bmi, we'll be contacting you shortly. If you've made a booking via a travel agent your travel agent has been briefed by bmi and given a process to follow so will contact you directly.ou will be able to enjoy the new Flexible Economy product when you travel. All eligible bookings will be entitled to obtain a refund of the APD difference.

What complimentary food and drink can I expect whilst travelling in Flexible Economy?

If you're travelling with bmi before 09:30 you can enjoy a hot breakfast Panini, fresh muffin and a hot drink. Throughout the rest of the day you can choose from a range of complimentary food and drinks.

Will I be eligible to gain entry to any of the lounges?

Yes, one of the benefits of Flexible Economy is that you are entitled to use our Business Lounges at your departure airport.

Can I change my ticket on Flexible Economy?

Yes, this is one of the benefits of Flexible Economy. Free changes, cancellation and refunds are permitted.

Are the Flexible Economy changes going to be applied to any other routes?

We have no plans to make similar changes on any of our other services. Our Business Class service continues to be very popular with customers on our longer routes.

Why is this approach not on all your shorthaul routes? (e.g. Regional)

bmi Regional services already operate with a single cabin concept and all passengers receive a complimentary drink and snack.

How will the changes affect me?

If you have already booked a Business Class ticket you will be put on to a Flexible Economy ticket. However, they will still enjoy complimentary food and drink onboard and be seated at the front of the cabin and we will contact you now regarding the refund of the APD
Gold and Silver and Blue Plus Diamond Club cardholders who travel in any booking class lower than Y' class will no longer benefit from a free sandwich and drink and a paid-for menu will be offered
Customers who have booked an Economy Y class ticket will be upgraded to Flexible Economy and benefit from complimentary catering onboard
The introduction of Flexible Economy will now offer you the chance to travel with a little more ease and flexibility, so if you weren't able to travel business before, take advantage of our new Flexible Economy service

Diamond Club Questions and Answers <link>

What complimentary food and drink can I expect whilst travelling in Flexible Economy?

If you're travelling with bmi before 09:30 you can enjoy a hot breakfast Panini, fresh muffin and a hot drink. Throughout the rest of the day you can choose from a range of complimentary food and drinks.

As a Diamond Club Gold, Silver or Blue Plus member what will the introduction of Flexible Economy mean for me?

To receive complimentary food and drinks from 27 January you must be travelling on a Flexible Economy fare (C, D, J or Y). If you're travelling on an Economy fare you'll be offered a paid for food and drinks service.

As a Diamond Club Gold or Silver member you already benefit from lounge access before boarding where you can enjoy food from our lounges.

What can I expect when purchasing a Flexible Economy fare?

Flexible Economy offers value for money and a range of benefits including 30 minute check-in at London Heathrow, business lounge access, guaranteed seating at the front of the plane, complimentary food and drinks onboard, priority boarding and disembarking and fully flexible tickets.

Will I still earn the same number of miles when travelling in Flexible Economy?

Yes the number of miles earned when travelling in C, D, J or Y will remain the same.

Will the flights that I already have booked to travel in Business qualify for the complimentary food and drinks?

Yes your booking will automatically be changed to travel on a Flexible Economy fare and you'll receive complimentary food and drink.

Will I be entitled to a refund of the APD tax?

If you're booked to travel in Business Class after 27 January 2010, you may have paid additional APD tax, and you may be entitled to a refund. If you booked directly with bmi, we'll be contacting you shortly. If you've made a booking via a travel agent your travel agent has been briefed by bmi and given a process to follow so will contact you directly.

I'm currently a Blue Plus member, what benefits do I still receive?

As an existing Blue Plus member you'll continue to earn destinations and status miles and you'll now receive the same benefits as a Blue member. View all Blue tier benefits

How many membership status miles will I now need to move through the Diamond Club tiers?

As Blue Plus tier will no longer exist, although if you're an existing Blue Plus member you'll retain your status until the end of your membership year. This means that you'll only have to earn 16,000 status miles to move from Blue to Silver rather than 3,000 from Blue to Blue Plus and a further 16,000 from Blue Plus to Silver.

What will happen at the end of my Blue Plus membership year?

At the end of your membership year, if you've earned 16,000 membership status miles or more you'll receive Silver membership status. If you earn less than 16,000 membership status miles you'll continue to be a Blue member.

Will I be able to make a reward booking on a Flexible Economy fare?

Yes, you'll be able to book reward flights on a Flexible Economy fare. The reward will be charged the same number of miles as current Business Class and will be booked into I class. However, you'll benefit from a lower rate of APD tax.

My account is being upgraded to Silver membership when will my account be upgraded and when will I receive my card?

It may take up until 27 January for your Diamond Club account to show Silver status online. Your membership pack and card will be sent within the next 7 - 10 working days.

Will special meals be available?

No, members will not be able to order special meals for shorthaul flights (except on bmi Regional) after 27 January 2010. If you're travelling on a Flexible Economy fare, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian alternatives will be available as fresh food items.

Does the new product still offer a two cabin service?

No, the new product is one cabin with Flexible Economy and Economy fares.

Why is this approach not on all your shorthaul routes? (e.g. Regional)

bmi Regional services already operate with a single cabin concept and all passengers receive a complimentary drink and snack.

Will there be changes to any other routes?

We have no plans to make similar changes on any of our other services. We know that our Business Class service is still very popular with customers on our longer routes.

Can I change my ticket on a Flexible Economy fare?

Yes, this is one of the benefits of Flexible Economy. Free changes, cancellation and refunds are permitted on full fare ticket types.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Jan 18, 2010 at 3:05 am
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Pretty much. The website has a big thing on flexible economy. Basically they're getting rid of business class and putting you in the front of the (one cabin) plane. You get your stale cheese luft-rolls, but nobody else on the plane does--they're getting rid of free food for people with status on these flights.

Normal benfits of a full Y ticket (like you can change/refund your ticket with no penalty--what an amazing concept! Nobody else does that for full Y fares, right?) and some little stuff like lounge access.

If you had a business class ticket for travel after they convert to single-class planes, you get a refund of the difference in Air Passenger Duty.

Sounds almost like an E+ kinda deal. At the very least, it's just a fancy way of getting rid of business class. I'm not impressed.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
No more free nibbles in Y, where does that leave Blue+?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:29 am

Of course Flexible Y, as now, will be more expensive than cheap C. So it's more money for less product as usual; not that shorthaul C was worth a .... anyway. I guess it'll be 3x3 seating too.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Jan 18, 2010 at 2:39 am
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As it's not mentioned that the Y+ seating wiill be better, I guess it's the end of the 3+2 config too ?

And where do redemptions book into ?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
I wonder if they'll improve the food offering in the lounge (a la BA) to make up for the fact that golds and silvers get no food and no drink... Ha ha ha, yeah right!

Free gin & tonic and birdseed never seemed so appealing until now...

PS The exclamation in the OP wasn't mine, but seems somehow fitting
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
And where do redemptions book into ?
It'll have serious implications for mixed-class redemption if, as reported, these are becoming increasingly difficult or even impossibe.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by rupert_s
No more free nibbles in Y, where does that leave Blue+?
From "Flexible Economy Diamond Club questions and answers".

I'm currently a Blue Plus member, what benefits do I still receive?

As an existing Blue Plus member you'll continue to earn destinations and status miles and you'll now receive the same benefits as a Blue member.

What will happen at the end of my Blue Plus membership year?

At the end of your membership year, if you've earned 16,000 membership status miles or more you'll receive Silver membership status. If you earn less than 16,000 membership status miles you'll continue to be a Blue member.
So Blue+ is on the way out.

Other bits relating to questions already asked in this thread:

Will I be able to make a reward booking on a Flexible Economy fare?

Yes, you'll be able to book reward flights on a Flexible Economy fare. The reward will be charged the same number of miles as current Business Class and will be booked into I class. However, you'll benefit from a lower rate of APD tax.

As a Diamond Club Gold, Silver or Blue Plus member what will the introduction of Flexible Economy mean for me?

To receive complimentary food and drinks from 27 January you must be travelling on a Flexible Economy fare (C, D, J or Y). If you're travelling on an Economy fare you'll be offered a paid for food and drinks service.

As a Diamond Club Gold or Silver member you already benefit from lounge access before boarding where you can enjoy food from our lounges.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
So no mileage bonus for Y+ ?

oops: Just read the FAQ!

Last edited by Rambuster; Jan 18, 2010 at 2:55 am
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
So no mileage bonus for Y+ ?
Read the FAQ....

Will I still earn the same number of miles when travelling in Flexible Economy?

Yes the number of miles earned when travelling in C, D, J or Y will remain the same.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
So is this all routes or just these 'ex Business' ones - i.e., is the free catering for BD*G ending for all shorthaul flights or, in typical bmi arse/elbow fashion, just these routes with the existing all Y ones unchanged?

What about the *G seatblock?

Without free catering, bye bye bmi and hello BA for me on domestics.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
For those of you that haven't been able to travel in Business Class because of the recession ...

...and for those of you who have been supporting BMI with Business Class fares: You just got shafted !
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:13 am

Programs: LH SEN
... And the end of GUV/iGUV on DUB-LHR. Why bother being loyal to BMI if they totally downgrade the route like this (schedules and service)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.