Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

And here is the 2010 "Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles" thread continued from 2009. Looks like it's going to be another interesting year in these here parts...

Please feel free to post your bmi Diamond Club redemption experiences in this thread : routes, airlines, stopovers, miles & cash, fees/taxes/surcharges, availability, the call centre experience, ticketing etc; in fact anything that can provide ideas, inspiration and datapoints for others wishing to redeem.

The topic does not include bragging about, or having a poke at posters for, let's say "unusually creative routings". bmi's ticketing department now checks all award bookings before ticketing to weed out any illegal itineraries. If it makes it through ticketing, then it is a valid and acceptable booking under bmi's own policies and should not considered "gaming the system".

If you're new to making bmi redemptions, and especially if you join us having been given the blanket "no avaibility" brushoff from the call centre (referred to as the ICC) then this thread proves : It can be done! Just remember, search for your desired routing using the ANA tool to check availability, then call the ICC asking for the long haul segments first, then request any short haul connections. Never simply ask for an itinerary from X to Z, ask for X to Y and Y to Z. ^

Happy hunting, happy posting - and safe travels.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Happy New Year all ^

Quite a simple 10 minute redemption CAI-IST-DEL 15,000 miles + 220 taxes in J.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:39 am

Another very simple one to kickstart the year and also my first ever DC redemption. Sadly not as exciting as I would have liked:

2 x LHR-CAI one way in J on the A330 = 30,000 miles and £133 tax each
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Executive Club Gold, Diamond Club Gold
Exclamation LHR-BKK March / April 2010 - Problem with taxes?

Done yesterday therefore 2010, but reported in the ‘2009’ thread….
2 x LHR-BKK return in C, with TG
120000 miles + £297.60 taxes per person.

Mindful of recent comments in the 2009 thread about taxes, I checked the £297.60 per person against the ‘taxes fees and surcharges’ quoted in the BA self-redemption tool for an identical redemption (almost the same dates) and was shocked to find that per BA it’s only £223.20 per person. I’m sad to say that a full 20 minutes of meaningless rambling by someone in the ICC this morning couldn’t explain or change the £297.60.

Does anyone know how to deal with this?

I’m at a disadvantage as I haven’t yet received the promised email of the TG booking (after 26 hours), so I don’t have details of the £297.60. (The booking itself is on the TG website though – so something works!).

Btw - I’ve been twice thrown the line that ICC can’t deal with the seating as TG have not released the seating plans. Strange –only 12½ weeks to go. Can’t wait to see the miles disappear from my inventory, and to get to somewhere warm.

Greetings from a cold but beautifully sunny London.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:47 am

Just had a really good experience with the ICC.

Booked the first leg of my 4 month trip in 5 minutes. The seats I wanted were found immediately.

EDI-BKK 24 March TG in C
then
BKK-MEL 9 April TG in C

Total cost 37,500 miles plus £550.80 (cash, tax and cc fee). Not checked the tax breakdown yet but seemed about right.

Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gmbodio
I’m sad to say that a full 20 minutes of meaningless rambling by someone in the ICC this morning couldn’t explain or change the £297.60
Tax: United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty £100.00
Tax: United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge £21.20
Tax: TG YQ surcharge $260.00
Tax: Thailand Passenger Service Charge THB 700

Total taxes at todays exchange rates = £297.60

Last edited by JeffBHD; Jan 2, 2010 at 5:00 am
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi all, booked via ICC two days ago now a redemption with LX and AC, they have not ticketed it yet, should I be starting to get worried? I've called a few times and been told "it's in the queue". I've never made a miles redemption before and worried that LX or AC may auto-cancel the booking if its not ticketed soon?

Brian.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Just completed a very simple and easy LHR-BEY-LHR for one month in July/August. Y miles / C travelled as I am BD*G. GBP 235 taxes.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic, BA Exec, Diamond Club, H Honors
Managed to book 2 x Business Class HKG-SIN return with Singapore Airlines, at a cost of 22500 miles plus £190 (includes taxes) each. This is for a Nov 2010 flight.

Does anyone know whether we are entitled to the Business Class benefits i.e. baggage allowance, business lounges when redeeming miles? We shall be flying on SQ859 and SQ866. I have received the ticket confirmation with my booking number but not the e-ticket. No information regarding baggage allowances or much else really. Where can I find this info?

Panna
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Pannacotta
Does anyone know whether we are entitled to the Business Class benefits i.e. baggage allowance, business lounges when redeeming miles?
Of course you are!

Also, check here. Maybe you can find baggage allowance information: https://www.checkmytrip.com/plnext/X...TN&LANGUAGE=GB
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
April One Way SAN-LAX-JFK-ZRH-BCN (UA + LX) C CLASS: Miles + 244£
April One Way LGA-YYZ-LAS (AC) C CLASS: Miles + 130£
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:41 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic, BA Exec, Diamond Club, H Honors
Originally Posted by heramato
Of course you are!

Also, check here. Maybe you can find baggage allowance information: https://www.checkmytrip.com/plnext/X...TN&LANGUAGE=GB
Thank you for replying so quickly ^
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: TG*G
Just booked VTE (Vientiane) - BKK for 10,000 miles + £23 taxes one way - 3 February. Showing a fare of nearly £200 on Expedia so quite pleased!

More impressive though has to be the £12 I just spent on a sleeper train from Bangkok - Vientiane (well a small town 13km from Vientiane...). Can't even do Bournemouth-Southampton midday for that!

I love South-East Asia.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
HKG - BKK (stopover) - MEL in TG C. 18750 miles+£127.50 + tax/yq £105.

Time on call: 6 minutes 55 seconds. Ticketed in: approx 60 minutes. Itinerary email: received right after ticketing. impressed ^^^
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Executive Club Gold, Diamond Club Gold
Thanks to JeffBHD

Originally Posted by JeffBHD
Tax: United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty £100.00
Tax: United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge £21.20
Tax: TG YQ surcharge $260.00
Tax: Thailand Passenger Service Charge THB 700

Total taxes at todays exchange rates = £297.60
Thanks JeffBHD. I guess it's the YQ surcharge $260.00 what does it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.