Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Weather Delays/Cancellations at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver BD Silver

Delays at LHR and some flights cancelled. List below from bmi website. Although im told more flights cancel.

Due to fog at London Heathrow, we are experiencing delays and cancellations on all flights which are likely to continue throughout the day.

Please view your individual flight's status for up to date information.

Unfortunately, the following flights are cancelled. Further updates about cancellations will be made when available.

BD588/589 LHR-MAN-LHR
BD084/087 LHR-BHD-LHR
BD006/009 LHR-GLA-LHR
BD127/128 LHR-DUB-LHR
BD056/057 LHR-MAN-LHR
BD149/150 LHR-BRU-LHR
BD668/669 LHR-ABZ-LHR

LH1873/1876 LHR-MXP-LHR

Any passengers travelling into or out of Heathrow today may rebook on to an alternative flight by contacting us on 0844 8484 888. Alternatively, a full refund will be given.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Fog looks really thick, even the Heathrow webcam can't get anything
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As fogs go, this morning's wasn't partulcarly thick. Visibilty > 5 miles now.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Was supposed to be on the 8:55 MAN-LHR BD 585.
Just after check in went to an 11:30 departure, about 10 it went to a 13:30 departure (all the while the plane was sat at gate 18). I was debating options as I'm leaving for Japan tonight via CPH (on a different ticket number), decided I could just do a 13:30, but any later and I'd have had to get the train. However all of a sudden they started boarding about 11am, so, wasn't the end of the world as I have a relaxed enough schedule today.

I knew that it was a mid-haul plane at check-in so that cheered me up a bit, a nice last BD flight for the year. They cancelled the later 11am MAN-LHR flight and put them on our plane, but, nobody else could squeeze onto my nice business seat
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:40 am

Slightly off topic but hopefully some experienced FT's will have some advice/suggestions...

With the news of fog at LHR today it has gotten me slightly stressed about my flight next week - I'm flying LHR-ZRH-CAI with LX. The connection at ZRH is only about 50mins as it is. If I stress about this now I'm sure everything will be ok, but if it its not, at least I'll be prepared

There is only the only flight from ZRH - CAI daily with LX and if there is a significant delay like this morning then I'm stuffed. There is a flight that is ZRH-VIE-CAI (with LX/OS/MS) that leaves at 12.50 that has seats still available - would I be put onto that flight instead (if the flight from LRH gets in in time?).

I guess this is why you take out travel insurance, in case I then needed to overnight in ZRH to get the flight the next day. However checking out my travel insurance policy it doesn't look very good. I'm not covered for 'missed departure' as that doesn't include planes (only bus, coash, ferry or train). The travel delay section would apply but it only covers you for 15euro per 12hour delay which is hardly going to cover the cost of a hotel in ZRH!. So is my insurance policy crap or is this pretty standard?

Cheers,
Mel.b
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
As long as you booked this as 1 ticket, the transfer is something LX will worry about. ZRH is a fairly easy place to transfer and I've know direct aircraft > aircraft transfers when things have been really tight. Your travel insurance policy is fairly standard because the airline will give you a hotel in you missconnect in ZRH in these circumstances.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:05 pm

Cool, thanks for that ptr120 I'm not worried about the transfer if the flight is on time as I've read that ZRH is easy and that the connection is doable, but was just wondering what the situation was if the flight was significantly delayed as would have been the case this morning.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Was supposed to be on the 8:55 MAN-LHR BD 585.
Just after check in went to an 11:30 departure, about 10 it went to a 13:30 departure (all the while the plane was sat at gate 18). I was debating options as I'm leaving for Japan tonight via CPH (on a different ticket number), decided I could just do a 13:30, but any later and I'd have had to get the train. However all of a sudden they started boarding about 11am, so, wasn't the end of the world as I have a relaxed enough schedule today.

I knew that it was a mid-haul plane at check-in so that cheered me up a bit, a nice last BD flight for the year. They cancelled the later 11am MAN-LHR flight and put them on our plane, but, nobody else could squeeze onto my nice business seat
Small world. I knew someone on this flight, and they had a 2 hour connection at LHR to AC LHR-YYZ (in J). Who was responsible for the rebooking in a case like this? I know they are on a BD award ticket as I booked it for them! But I think, according to the EU rules that being an award ticket should not make a jot of a difference. Right?

I know they are en-route now, and I'll find out what actually happened soon enough, but what *should* have happened? BD responsible for rebooking? AC? Can AC Invol downgrade without compensation?

If anyone knows I'd appreciate the input.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:41 am

The fact that this was an award ticket doesn't make a difference - they would still have been rebooked as long as the whole trip was booked as 1 ticket
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Probably a suitable thread to warn that 10cm of snow is predicted at LHR on Friday.

More than enough to bring London to it's knees
Old Dec 15, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by o0herbie
Probably a suitable thread to warn that 10cm of snow is predicted at LHR on Friday.

grrr, hopefully it will stay at LHR then and not find it's way to LGW where my BA flight awaits.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LiviLion
grrr, hopefully it will stay at LHR then and not find it's way to LGW where my BA flight awaits.
Looks to me like you're rolling the dice twice
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:52 am

Aghhh - so much for stressing about things and then them being fine! I'm due to fly out LHR-ZRH-CAI at 6am on Fri morning. Let's hope the snow starts falling at 7am
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:50 pm

Excellent! I'm taking LH4787 to Cologne on Friday afternoon. I may even have time to venture out of the *A lounge and visit the BMI lounge for a change!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Due to fly LHR-LAX-AKL-ADL leaving Friday afternoon. Have to get home from Scarborough by train tomorrow first, though.

What could possibly go wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.