FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Rant: "Lunch" at 0930hrs! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1020249-lunch-0930hrs.html)

GASUG Nov 24, 2009 6:47 am

"Lunch" at 0930hrs!

Forgot to post this wee snippet!

On 06Nov I flew GLA-LHR (in C) on BD003 departing at 09:20hrs.

Had abstained from having any breakfast that morning as was looking forward to what was on offer in C from bmi. Big mistake! I was offered "lunch" at around 09:35hrs! When I had to ask if there was nothing hot on offer I was brusquely told that there was no hot food on-board. "Lunch" consisted of a Bento box! For once I wished I was further back and and could have enjoyed the delights of a cheese toastie (although I would have had to have waited well into the descent before attacking it, as it would at least have cooled down by then).

The two people behind me were appreciably more vocal and upset than I was and did at least elicit an apology from the attendant, although obviously not his / her fault.

However, the rather splendid new departure lounge at T1 made me forget about this after a few G & T's!

SFO777 Nov 24, 2009 6:51 am

Originally Posted by GASUG (Post 12871985)
However, the rather splendid new departure lounge at T1 made me forget about this after a few G & T's!

At 09:35? :eek:

GASUG Nov 24, 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 12872002)
At 09:35? :eek:

No - was much later than that. It was at least 1100hrs! :p

RedMark Nov 24, 2009 7:10 am

When I worked for an Airline Catering Company some years ago (When a meal was something you got cutlery with) The general guide was :-

Breakfast 06.00 to 09.30
Light Snack 09.30 to 14.00
Afternoon Tea 14.00 to 16.30
Evening meal 16.30 to 22.00

How late are you wanting a breakfast ?

FlyingOnceMore Nov 24, 2009 7:50 am

I think I'd have jumped for joy in the circumstance. Save me having to refuse that garbage they call a hot breakfast. Even a bmi bento sandwich is cordon bleu in comparison.

AyrMiles Nov 25, 2009 3:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 12872278)
I think I'd have jumped for joy in the circumstance. Save me having to refuse that garbage they call a hot breakfast. Even a bmi bento sandwich is cordon bleu in comparison.

I'm with you on that one! I never take the "breakfast" option on the GLA-LHR route. I either wait for LHR1 / *A lounge (more choice in the latter) if I'm connecting or get a sandwich from EAT before I leave GLA. Applies to either the front or back of the bus!

Still, for really disgraceful catering take the offering on BD 896 last week. 06:30 from Moscow to London - all we got was a muffin & a cup of hot chocolate (an omelette was offered but, like many, I don't eat eggs). That was in C, by the way... I assume they got nowt behind me!

Jenbel Nov 25, 2009 3:27 am

Actually for disgraceful catering, take any BA European or domestic flight ;)

You had a muffin and hot chocolate?! When I was growing up, I was lucky to get a packet of birdseed and a glass of coke sans lemon...

GASUG Nov 25, 2009 5:31 am

Originally Posted by AyrMiles (Post 12877300)
I'm with you on that one! I never take the "breakfast" option on the GLA-LHR route. I either wait for LHR1 / *A lounge (more choice in the latter) if I'm connecting or get a sandwich from EAT before I leave GLA. Applies to either the front or back of the bus!

Sounds like I'll be following your suggestions next time. Including trying the *A lounge at LHR1. Not much on offer by the way of "solids" in the bmi lounge!

ajamieson Nov 25, 2009 5:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 12872278)

Agree, especially for those of us who hate the breakast. At least there is a choice at 'lunch'; at breakfast that choice is "take it or leave it".

antichef Nov 25, 2009 6:06 am

Originally Posted by GASUG (Post 12877612)
Sounds like I'll be following your suggestions next time. Including trying the *A lounge at LHR1. Not much on offer by the way of "solids" in the bmi lounge!

You will need to get yourself up to *G then pronto!!

chunk73 Nov 25, 2009 8:06 am

Its not abnormal really. In the last two weeks I did SIN - HAN and SGN - SIN in Singapore C class. Both flights left at 10am and both had lunch served. The SIN - HAN flight was particularly good service IIRC...full lunch for a 3 hour flight.

Also my regular JNB - LAD flight on SAA leaves at 945 and its a full lunch on a 3 hour flight also.