Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

Seattle: BW Plus Pioneer Square or BW Executive Inn?

Seattle: BW Plus Pioneer Square or BW Executive Inn?

Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Question Seattle: BW Plus Pioneer Square or BW Executive Inn?

I'll be in Seattle for a 3-night vacation next month on a paid stay as a newly minted Diamond, and even after reading Tripadvisor reviews, I am torn between my two options.

Both have their location advantages to what I plan to do while there. Pioneer Square is near Amtrak, the asian part of town, and the ferry terminal. Executive Inn is near the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Glass, and the monorail.

Is one neighborhood sketchier at night than the other? Not that we'll be out late, but it's winter and it will be well dark returning from dinner. Though, Uber will most likely be our post-dinner transportation choice.

The Pioneer Square property's rooms are reportedly small and in an historic building, and there is mention of Executive Inn having done some renovation 1-2 years ago.

I need to book two rooms for four people. Cost-wise, I would save ~$100 by staying at BW Executive Inn.

Any recent stay experiences? Any help one way or the other?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:35 pm

I would vote definitely for the Pioneer Square hotel. (Our absolute favorite hotel in Seattle.) Just check the two neighbourhoods. Actually there is NOTHING around the Needle. (It is sketchier.)
On the other hand Pioneer Square is walking distance from literally hundred of restaurants, dozens of museums. Pike Place Market - should I say anything more? You do not need any taxi cab even in late night.
We are going there in two weeks - would not go to the Needle even for half a price. (We are foodies as well as like museums.) Needle is overrated. (Both the view and the restaurant. The monorail is a rail to nowhere.)

Just check the two neighbourhoods on google map
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your valuable input. I will keep the reservation at BW Plus Pioneer Square.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by pirossalma
I would vote definitely for the Pioneer Square hotel. (Our absolute favorite hotel in Seattle.) Just check the two neighbourhoods. Actually there is NOTHING around the Needle. (It is sketchier.)
On the other hand Pioneer Square is walking distance from literally hundred of restaurants, dozens of museums. Pike Place Market - should I say anything more? You do not need any taxi cab even in late night.
We are going there in two weeks - would not go to the Needle even for half a price. (We are foodies as well as like museums.) Needle is overrated. (Both the view and the restaurant. The monorail is a rail to nowhere.)

Just check the two neighbourhoods on google map
I beg to differ, the Space Needle is next to the Queen Anne area, IMO a much nicer area. Plus you will find more stuff open overnight. And Pioneer Square unfortunately is smack dab in the middle of the homeless crisis going on. If you have ever been out between 12 am-5am you'll see exactly what I mean. If you don't plan on being out late then it becomes less of an issue. Also distance wise Seattle is so small getting from the Space Needle to other areas of the city is very easy.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:56 am

If you're looking for a high vantage point building to view Seattle check out the Columbia Center in downtown area. Beautiful black curved building TWICE the size of space needle and fabulous 360* views at the top. (half the price of the Needle) Small cafe there too where you can grab a wine or beer and enjoy the view for as long as you want. Sometimes groupon has tickets.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by TiberiusOnTime
I beg to differ, the Space Needle is next to the Queen Anne area, IMO a much nicer area. Plus you will find more stuff open overnight. And Pioneer Square unfortunately is smack dab in the middle of the homeless crisis going on. If you have ever been out between 12 am-5am you'll see exactly what I mean. If you don't plan on being out late then it becomes less of an issue. Also distance wise Seattle is so small getting from the Space Needle to other areas of the city is very easy.
Thanks for the local input. I must admit I have never been out really late there, and not really interested in being out really late there.
As for homeless crisis? I have just come back from Portland and going soon to SF... (Frequent visitor to both places.)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:04 pm

I've stayed at both, and would vote for Pioneer Square. More walkable, IMHO, and closer to restaurants, etc. Also close to light rail if you're coming from the airport.

Yes, the homeless population is very large around Pioneer Square, but personally I've never had an issue (safety, etc.).

As a Diamond member, your chances are decent of getting a double-size room on the top floor at Pioneer Square.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Lifelong Puget Sound resident here. Had to google the pioneer square location. Ah hah ! Hands down a better location than the one near the needle. So much "Seattle" in the pioneer square neighborhood. You'll love it. Have fun
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for posting. It was a tough decision, but I am keeping my Pioneer Square reservation for next week. I'll report here when I get back.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:31 pm

While you're in Seattle, do the Underground Tour. Lots of fun, depending on the tour guide.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:16 pm

We have just arrived to Seattle, staying in the Pioneer Square BW. As always we were ble to check-in early (11AM), got free upgrade.

Boxo, if you are here, have fun:-) It is cold, rainy, but I hope you wil enjoy every minutes of your stay.
Check the "First Starbucks", have a piroshky, or get in line for chowder at Pike Street Market. if you are over 40 you might enjoy the Museum of Pop Culture.

Probably it is late to mention, but the Boeing tour is excellent. (They would pick up you at the hotel.)

I hope you come back to share YOUR experience.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I am back from Seattle and didn't end up staying at either BW properties. On a last minute search, I found the Mediterranean Inn in Lower Queen Anne for $100 all in per night using the 15% off Orbitz code. Between the two room reservations, it was a savings of $250+. I can highly recommend it - clean, comfortable, view of the Space Needle and Puget Sound, kitchenettes, and a rooftop terrace.

Thanks for all the suggestions on what to do. It was probably my 6th time in Seattle, and at one time I used to spend weeks at a time on Bainbridge. My traveling companions on the other hand either hadn't been at all or hadn't been in 20-40 years. We did the asian art museum, the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Glass, Bainbridge ferry, the Wing Luke museum, and the Seattle Art Museum over 2.5 days.

We were there for the spectacular snowfall Feb 5-6, which we all thought of as an added attraction.

PS - February is Seattle Museum Month. Participating hotels give guests passes for half-off admission. http://seattlemuseummonth.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.