which Best Western in San Diego

Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:11 am
Original Poster

which Best Western in San Diego

My adult daughter and myself are travelling to San Diego in Feb 2017. Will be in San Diego for one night Feb 9. Out of town for a couple of days and back Feb 12-15.
Using BW Reward points for our hotel.
Looking a two hotels
1. Island Palms Hotel & Marina
2. Bayside Inn

Wasn't plan on renting a car, but will if necessary. We both enjoy walking a lot, dining out and shopping. Maybe a bus tour to the zoo?
Which hotel would you pick? Or is there another you would recommend?
I thought about Island Palms for the one night on Feb 9 and then the Bayside for the remaining 3, but was wondering if we would be disappointed and wish we were back at the Island Palms?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
Island Palms is tough to beat for relaxing on the bay but I wouldn't consider it without a car.

Bayside is a lot closer to shopping & dining downtown but still just under a mile to Seaport Village or Horton Plaza.

I'd opt for Island Palms and rent a car. Shelter Island is easy in & out via Rosecrans (and you can giggle at your GPS pronouncing it "Ross uh cruns"), take a right on Harbor to go downtown, or a left on Midway to go to Mission Bay, or straight ahead to Old Town.

Get a breakfast at Point Break Cafe and don't miss Taco Tuesday at Mitch's in the back of Point Loma Sportfishing.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
We stayed at this one and enjoyed it.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:40 am

Bayside Inn is a walker's dream.
Renting a car from Island Palms is an option, just be aware of the parking issues. If there is any event in downtown, then it is very hard to park.

If you do a little research - google San Diego attractions, you will find a wide variety of dining/shoping/entertainment options. I would not recommend any organized bus tours - you can reach most of the attractions by walk or enjoying the excellent public transportation.

Last edited by pirossalma; Nov 5, 2016 at 7:29 pm
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We have not stayed in either, but....I believe these are correct:

Island Palms
Free Wi-Fi
Pay to park
Pay for breakfast

Bayside Inn
Free use of lobby computers and printers
Pay to park $18
Free breakfast
Free shuttle AP, cruise terminal, Greyhound Dpt, Amtrak

That is some of what we look at when making the choices you are. Obviously, location, a most important factor, is based on what you plan to do. I through in the transport, as you mentioned perhaps not having a car.
As mentioned both of these places are quite nice and well rated by most. There is another factor we would consider, and that is location within the hotels. There is a MAXIMUM difference of views, access and feel within each of these hotels as well as, between them. Status might make a difference?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:40 pm

The only way to get garanteed bay view at Bayside Inn, if you reserve a BAYSIDE view room - the most expensive. (BUT you get those for the same amount of points as the cheapest ones, if you have status.)

Becaues Bayside Inn is 3 min walk from the Bay, why would you want to see the Bay from a small noisy balcony?

At Island Palms every room is bayside room, with marina view (means hundreds private yachts/sailing boats) - very boring for me, but if you like it? There is no real diffrences between rooms.

Bayside Inn DO have free Wifi in every room.

We usually go back to our room only for sleeping, so for us view is never an issue. Nevertheless, to see the Star of India every morning/evening from our Bayside Inn high floor room is nice.

The ONLY advantage of Island Palms is that usually it is much more cheaper than Bayside Inn.

BTW check the restaurant/cafe selections in the immediate surrounding of the two hotels - you will see the huge difference.

Something important: If you are light sleeper, and prefer to go to bed early, followed by a quiet night, stay away from Bayside Inn. Its advantage (the easy access to many transportation options) is its biggest disadvantage: from both side of the hotel you can hear the noise from the Amtrak/trolley/commuter train lines running two blocks from the hotel. The noise stops around midnight, and the hotel has double pane windows, but but if you are disturbed by city noise, Island Palms might be better choice.

Last edited by pirossalma; Nov 5, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.