Best Western Diamond Elite Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Last edited by LovesTraveling; Feb 12, 2014 at 2:11 am
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: BW Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Wish I could help, but honestly I've been Diamond with BW for over a year and had a least a dozen stays since then. Not ONE single time have I ever been given an upgrade.

Their whole mantra of "because every BW is independantly owned and operated, there will always be someone there that cares" is actually their achilles heel. There is NEVER anyone there that cares who you are during check-in. Just the hired help at the front desk. The owners don't check you in and personally see to it how you're treated. It's a total farce.

I much prefer the standardized policies of places such as Hilton that specify all Gold and Diamonds get free breakfast and upgrades to space available rooms, rather than at the discretion of each individual location like with BW.

About the only thing I can suggest would be to get a hold of one of the managers e-mail for that hotel and e-mail ahead of time with a polite request.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by prodrive555
About the only thing I can suggest would be to get a hold of one of the managers e-mail for that hotel and e-mail ahead of time with a polite request.
I've never been denied an upgrade at a BW property when I've politely asked a manager. That's probably the only strategy that works. (Occasionally a front desk clerk has been able to upgrade me directly but it's not as consistent.)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by prodrive555
Wish I could help, but honestly I've been Diamond with BW for over a year and had a least a dozen stays since then. Not ONE single time have I ever been given an upgrade.

Their whole mantra of "because every BW is independantly owned and operated, there will always be someone there that cares" is actually their achilles heel. There is NEVER anyone there that cares who you are during check-in. Just the hired help at the front desk. The owners don't check you in and personally see to it how you're treated. It's a total farce.

I much prefer the standardized policies of places such as Hilton that specify all Gold and Diamonds get free breakfast and upgrades to space available rooms, rather than at the discretion of each individual location like with BW.

I usually tell them at check-in that I am a honored diamond member and if it is possible to get an upgraded room. That often works. In some countries more, in some countries less. Some hotel upgrade you automatically, some ignore you completely.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:56 pm

Been a Diamond member for over a year and still waiting on that elusive upgrade! It amazes me how many differing excuses I get. I am convinced there is a policy NOT to award upgrades since by sheer laws of average out of my 15 stays SURELY I would have been upgraded at least once.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:22 am

Been a Diamond Member for some time too, but did not get a single upgrade and/or the promised 250 Extra-Points...And fun thing is, i asked for these mentioned Points, they told me via Email, that they are not for European Customers...So what is it good for at all?!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Guys! Hotel business is not non-profit! Be hard and taff and ask for your upgrade! That is the way it works!

Hotels, in particular BW hotels, play dumb when the honored diamond member wants to get something for free. Be sharp and don't move from your position. It's your right to get an upgrade.

PS: Recently I got to hear that they only need to "upgrade me to the best room in the category booked", i.e. to a "better view" room. The hotel insisted that the Italian BW hotline instructed them (it was an Italian hotel). Nada! Ask for your rights!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:27 pm

I don't quite understand them. Upgraded rooms cost them nothing except for perhaps marginally more housekeeping time. So why would they be so harsh to their Diamond members (assuming they do have availability)? They think by rejecting the Diamond an upgrade is going to bring him back more to their location or what?

Their owners can't be stupid, so what am I missing here?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
considering how easy it is to get a status match, i don't hold high hope for elite benefit. The best I get so far is to have a better view room. Even upgrade from king to double queen is not possible, at least from my own experience..
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
My wife was able to secure an upgrade to a suite at a property in Asia recently.

...well, they were willing to give the suite, except that it was DIRECTLY NEXT TO an active construction site. So she ended up with a regular room at the other end of the property.

Ah well. Keep trying; there is hope for an upgrade.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelsg
Even upgrade from king to double queen is not possible, at least from my own experience..
Counting on bed type change like that can be tricky. At many hotels, it's going the opposite way, from a double queen to a king, that's considered the upgrade! So at those hotels, it's a downgrade to go from a king to double queen! (But you are not supposed to get downgrades per the BW T&Cs, just upgrades! )

If you really want more beds that you reserved, I suggest you at least mention that request in the comments on the reservation. Otherwise I don't see how anyone could guess that's what you want.

(Depending on the time of day you check in, potential upgrades may already have been processed by the time you arrive, in which case verbal requests are too late.)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Counting on bed type change like that can be tricky. At many hotels, it's going the opposite way, from a double queen to a king, that's considered the upgrade! So at those hotels, it's a downgrade to go from a king to double queen! (But you are not supposed to get downgrades per the BW T&Cs, just upgrades! )

If you really want more beds that you reserved, I suggest you at least mention that request in the comments on the reservation. Otherwise I don't see how anyone could guess that's what you want.

(Depending on the time of day you check in, potential upgrades may already have been processed by the time you arrive, in which case verbal requests are too late.)
Generally double queen is listed more expensive than a king, or at least same price as the king. never seen the other way round. That's why I assumed double queen is an upgrade from king. On the same token, I doubt it will work even if you put it down in your comments, but worth trying next time.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelsg
Generally double queen is listed more expensive than a king, or at least same price as the king. never seen the other way round. That's why I assumed double queen is an upgrade from king. On the same token, I doubt it will work even if you put it down in your comments, but worth trying next time.
It depends on the hotel what rooms are least expensive.

I've seen BWs where the least expensive room is the accessible room (whatever size). I put in my notes that I don't really need an accessible room, but they typiclaly leave me in there.

I've certainly seen hotels where two queens is less expensive the one king, but I can't remember if that was at BWs or another brand. I think they were business hotels (which in BW would presumably be mostly BW Plus properties?) where most people were staying alone and thus wanted kings, and thus it was the two queens that they had a harder time selling. So it might depend on the type fo locaion and the hotel's regular clientelle, and on the latter point it may even depend on whether it's a weekday or weekend stay.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Guys! Hotel business is not non-profit! Be hard and taff and ask for your upgrade! That is the way it works!

Hotels, in particular BW hotels, play dumb when the honored diamond member wants to get something for free. Be sharp and don't move from your position. It's your right to get an upgrade.

PS: Recently I got to hear that they only need to "upgrade me to the best room in the category booked", i.e. to a "better view" room. The hotel insisted that the Italian BW hotline instructed them (it was an Italian hotel). Nada! Ask for your rights!

Yes, I did upgrade request in Osaka in early Dec 2012 as well.
My family and I book three rooms, but the rooms are not comfortable at all, in that I went to the front desk, addressing my Diamond membership, kindly ask their help but do not negotiate any thing if they said no room available or else, keep asking and request the help all the time.

Finally, I got two rooms upgraded for my family, you know, it's beyond the diamond provided...
Keep ask but with good attitude.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Does diamond status ever expire with BW? I did a status match to either my Hilton or Hyatt diamond status a few years ago when my wife and I were in Madrid and Barcelona staying in BW properties (don't think it did us any good) and have not had any stays since then at any BW and this was in late 2009.

I am still diamond with BW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.