Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer: 50,000 pts (20K approval, 30K for 1k spend) for MBNA BW Mastercard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Offer: 50,000 pts (20K approval, 30K for 1k spend) for MBNA BW Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ

What is also so refreshing and satisfying with these free hotel stays is that unlike Aeroplan, and other airline, car rental programs, it really IS free! You don't have to pay any 'taxes' or scamcharges. If it's 10K, 15K or 20K for a room, that's all there is to it. Just book the room online on points, check in and give them your credit card for deposit/incidentals, and they hand you the keys to your room. Usually I like to ask for a receipt when I check out, but because I usually have no incidentals, one time the staff didn't even know what to do to generate the $0 statement! She assured me I would be billed $0, and asked me why I want a statement/receipt...I just want proof, that's all...like a souvenir.

So, anyway, I wouldn't even consider exchanging the points for gift cards when the hotel stays offer much better value. Even when you consider that the $1000 spend requirement diverts your spending away from, say for eg. a 1.5% cash back credit card program , the 'opportunity cost' of not getting an extra $15 in the other card's rebate cheque, is still minimal and thus worth it, to parlay it into booking the rooms for 'free'.

After my 2nd (60K) and 3rd (50K) churn, I've now got a balance of 115K to play with now. NY BW Herald Square you say??? Hmmm....
Exactly! NO TAXES! I can cancel my reservation with no charges up until 6pm the day prior to arrival! I think it pays to hoard the BW points. That is, until there is word of another devaluation!

It is SUCH an EASY churn, too! No annual fee, easy application. I love the MBNA cards for their easy churnability! And cash back on GCR!

108,000 points will get you 3 nights at the BW Herald Square in NYC! Go for it!!!! I also got Diamond Elite status match at BW. Won't get me much (since breakfasts are already free!), but may get me the better room! Can't wait!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
It is SUCH an EASY churn, too! No annual fee, easy application. I love the MBNA cards for their easy churnability! And cash back on GCR!
Whoah, slow down there, poke. Yes, I love the easy MBNA churns too, but the higher signup promos for the Best Western card have been outside of the GCR offers. Yes, you can apply for the BW MC card at GCR and get $60 cash rebate, but it's usually only for 20K BWRs. I'd rather forego the $60 cash and apply for the card when there is a higher promo (not via GCR) and get the additional 30K or 40K, which is worth more than $60 when applied towards a couple of hotel nights.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Anyone else having difficulty getting the last 10K pts from the 60K sign up bonus? I've called at least 3 times going back to end of Nov. Points still haven't posted. (I got the first 50K pts no problem.)

Trying to check my account today, and I can't even sign in.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Anyone else having difficulty getting the last 10K pts from the 60K sign up bonus? I've called at least 3 times going back to end of Nov. Points still haven't posted. (I got the first 50K pts no problem.)

I had some issues in getting 30000 points which I eventually received after sending copies of spent records and asking for supervisors and insisting on listening to previously recoded promises from their reps. Sometimes its almost not worth the hassle. Had one 10000 point eligibility and it came right away after the purchase. Keep on insisting for your points and do not accept their verbiage that it will show up on the next statement. They can manually transfer points between statement cycle. It happen to me.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:59 pm

mg, that's a long time already since the 60K promo ended (spend additional $1K by end of Aug 2013 to get additional 10K). I got my full 60K during $2K spending in July...I was one of the lucky ones, no issues. Didn't have to spend anything in Aug. Sorry to see you're still having issues.

Anyway, I've also experienced difficulties recently in logging in at BestWestern.com, but I've noticed that when you enter your username and password and click the "Sign In" link, it just spins its wheels for a long time...after about 30s, if I click on the "Rewards" link, and "Rewards Home", it closes the Sign In window and you are actually logged in. Give it a try.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
[B]Anyway, I've also experienced difficulties recently in logging in at BestWestern.com, but I've noticed that when you enter your username and password and click the "Sign In" link, it just spins its wheels for a long time...after about 30s, if I click on the "Rewards" link, and "Rewards Home", it closes the Sign In window and you are actually logged in. Give it a try.
That is what I do too and it seems to work.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Same for me. MbNa acknowledges I have earned all 60,000, that they sent all 60,000, in 3 separate transactions, but they can't figure out why the 3rd one never arrived. Still waiting for those 10,000, which were earned in August.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
i guess most people didnt keep these cards even though it has $0 fee because they didnt bring back promo 50k like they had in 2012 and 2013 (unfortunately missed all of them as im relatively new to churning)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
It's a good time for Canadians to redeem Best Western points.
Because of the horrible CDN - US exchange rate, I'm going to cash in my points soon for US $ gift cards.

I have a bunch of Best Western points stored up.
Enough to buy CDN$250 in gift cards... or better yet: US$250 in gift cards!

Retailers include gas stations, Target, or Walmart (for a little extra).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
It's a good time for Canadians to redeem Best Western points.
Because of the horrible CDN - US exchange rate, I'm going to cash in my points soon for US $ gift cards.

I have a bunch of Best Western points stored up.
Enough to buy CDN$250 in gift cards... or better yet: US$250 in gift cards!

Retailers include gas stations, Target, or Walmart (for a little extra).
Oh, I agree - but better still, use those points for a hotel room in the US! I am using my points at a Best Western in NYC in December, where 36,000 points gets you a $500US per night room (that's close to $650 CAD). That's nearly the same value as Aeroplan points! I did two churns and thanks to a handful of existing points, managed to get 3 nights free!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by microcosm
i guess most people didnt keep these cards even though it has $0 fee because they didnt bring back promo 50k like they had in 2012 and 2013 (unfortunately missed all of them as im relatively new to churning)
So is 20,000 the best offer there is right now? I'm weighing whether the Mrs. and I should churn this card.

I'm not familiar with BW Rewards, but I'm assuming that there is probably not much to be had for 12,000 points per night or less... which is making me inclined to skip it for now until something juicier comes along.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
So is 20,000 the best offer there is right now? I'm weighing whether the Mrs. and I should churn this card.

I'm not familiar with BW Rewards, but I'm assuming that there is probably not much to be had for 12,000 points per night or less... which is making me inclined to skip it for now until something juicier comes along.
Wise-One,

20,000 has been the regular welcome bonus for as long as I can remember directly via MBNA.ca. But by going through GCR you'd get $25 as the current cash rebate. Prior to the Oct 2014 yank-off of MBNA cards, the GCR rebate was $60, which made it a bit more attractive.

The 3 'better' promos that I've seen were outside of GCR, so no cash rebate. But they were for 50,000 points, and one time for 60,000 points. We found plenty of good 15,000 redemptions in central/southern California for our road trips. Do your homework and look for reviews (TripAdvisor), and you won't be disappointed with these quick overniters.

So, with these kinds of redemptions in mind, the current 20,000 points (+$25 GCR) is going to be worth at most about $150, all-in including the cash rebate. Which is a bit too small for my liking, but if you have say 10,000 existing BWR points and need a top up, it may be Ok to signup and boost it to 30,000 and get 2 nites usage out of it.

JJJ
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Yeah, best case scenario is basically signup + a bit of spend x2 will result in perhaps enough points for 4 nights. Perhaps not quite juicy enough for right now, but if I hit a signup dry spell I might consider getting it through GCR.

Thanks for the suggestion! Even we wise ones appreciate good advice
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:18 pm

Question...is this card like other MBNA cards whereby you can have more than one at once (like many do for the AS card)?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:32 pm

I plan on alternating this card with the AS. So 3 months AS then 1 month BW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.