Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 4, 10, 3:16 pm   #1

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Why are BW travel cards such an ordeal to use?

I have used travel cards at 7 different properties in the NY/NJ metro area, and not once has the process gone smoothly.

Here are some of the problems I've encountered:

1. The clerk didn't know the password to the computer app (website?) through which cards are redeemed. [Happened at 3 different properties]
2. The clerk refused to accept an emailed TC number. Said it had to be a physical plastic card.
3. The clerk overcharged a card, resulting in having to spend 10 mins on the phone with cust. svc.
Jazzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 10, 8:18 pm   #2

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
If BW wouldn't charge you for a plastic card and would just email you a card you could reload during promos instead of having to have codes emailed to you it seems like that would help a lot.

There is only one BW property in the US I will stay at and I just use the emailed codes there. Something I found out that helps, at least at that property is at check in to give the clerk the email and ask them to charge the cards off when they aren't busy. With me I never have any incidentials so they know the exact total. That really helps.

Costco sells Hyatt paper gift certificates at a discount and I used those in May. Hyatt was able to process 12 of those in a matter of 2 minutes. If hyatt can do it that fast BW should be able to
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 10, 8:37 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't realize this is why, but the one hotel where I've used an emailed gift card so far, I gave it to them at check-in, and they asked to hold onto it during my stay. I got it back upon request at checkout (since it was not all used up yet). Obviously they processed it sometime in between...
sdsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 10, 8:59 am   #4

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I didn't realize this is why, but the one hotel where I've used an emailed gift card so far, I gave it to them at check-in, and they asked to hold onto it during my stay. I got it back upon request at checkout (since it was not all used up yet). Obviously they processed it sometime in between...
What they do is process them when they don't have anything else to do during their shift. First time I used them was at checkout and the clerk asked me if I would come back later (he knew I was having my luggage held anyway) and he would enter the codes when it died down and give me the email back when I came for my luggage.

I don't know why they don't allow you to refill a plastic gift card for the promos. It doesn't seem like it would cost them anymore and with the plastic card the clerk just swipes it instead of having to enter a bunch of codes.

Or at least on promos allow you to purchase the max amount on one code so the FD clerk only has to enter one code. Like with the Southwest promo it was 1 credit for every $100 gift card. Instead of making you buy 5 individual cards they should have allowed you the option of 1-$500 code and given you the 5 credits. It would be a lot easier on the FD clerk to just enter that one code and tell you what is left on it after the current charges than for him to entere each code for every $100.
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 10, 2:32 pm   #5

The Kohoutek has not encountered a problem passing email BW TCs, or hard card TCs. Maybe a minor delay with FD clerks figuring out what to do, but the minor hassle, if that, wasn't a problem.

Just stand ground, and make things happen.

Lastly, let Phoenix know that you were inconvenienced.
Kohoutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 10, 4:26 pm   #6

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Perhaps this is a sign that the BW field rep covering the NY/NJ area isn't doing a good job of training the member hotels.
Jazzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 10:43 am   #7

Programs: AC SE100K, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, BW Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Absolutely recommended: give them the printout when you check in, and tell them to process it. Usually the night person can do that while they're bored. I've seen it take them 15-20 minutes to process the card, which is obviously an issue when you're trying to leave for an early-morning flight!

It is rather odd to see that this product is a) relatively unknown and b) not promoted at all by the hotels.
okazon69 is offline   Reply With Quote