Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Given a car with duct tape holding the bumper together at CLT

Old May 24, 2008, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver

And the funny thing is: when I brought it to their attention, they were so matter of fact about it. "Yeah? So?" The car was loaded with scratches and a few small dents, but the bumper was so full of problems that there was duct tape threaded across the whole thing to keep it together. Classy, Avis. I asked for a different car, of course, and was told they had no others. When I got to the exit gate, I had the agent working there note the damage on the car before I left, and she was just as matter-of-fact about it all. She simply took my contract and documented it, as if this happens all of the time. It was late, and I had only 20 minutes to get to my hotel and get some work done by a deadline, so I didn't push it or take the time to switch to another company.

Has anyone else been given the ghetto experience compliments of Avis?

I will add that I sent an email to Avis upon my return about that and other problems I had with that rental (charged to fill up my gas even though I declined it and filled it, charged to the wrong card, etc) and they brought down my 2-day $141 rental to $39.
Old May 26, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat HH Diamond Avis ?
I have been renting at CLT every week for most of this year. Almost all of the cars assigned to me have been high mile junkers. When time permits I will go in and change. Three weeks ago they had me in a Grand Prix with 38,000 miles!! WOW, that is the highest mile rental I have ever seen. Add on to that the dirty cars, cracker windshields, the long delays at car return, It is my least favorite site to rent from-but I remain AVIS loyal. The good news is that I will be done with my CLT project in a few more weeks so it's on to the next town.
Old May 27, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I've been renting monthly at CLT for almost 2 years now, and have noticed the decline in cars, and the increase in damaged cars. Last month, I noticed some fresh "secretion" on the back seat. It could have been shampoo from a prior renters luggage, then again, it could have been something else. I wasn't about to smell it to investigate. I asked LaQuisha at the exit to note my folio. Her response was "no, that's OK, not a big deal". I insisted she note the "spill" which she did while sighing and rolling her eyes.

Avis. We Try Harder. (to make our customers flee to Hertz).
Old May 27, 2008, 3:37 pm

I haven't quite figured out how to really take advantage of Local Avis locations so I always rent from CLT even though I pass most of the Locals.

I pretty much always get a full sized SUV or an eclipse.

Something is always wrong. I routinely check the blinkers before getting settled. too many left turn signals that didn't work.

Last car had no working cigarette adapter so I had to keep turning off my GPS driving to Kinston to preserve battery. I needed to get there and the weather was bad so I didn't stop at RDU to change it out.

I never worry about checking for scratches though because they could care less

1 time they put the wrong contract in my car. I got to the gate and the gate person realized it so I went to the counter to get the contract changed to the car they gave me. I said i wanted a contract for the Saturn Aura in my spot. The guy thought I wanted an Aura (called Aurora) and said they had none. I said either find the Sonata on the contract or just issue me a contract for the aura you put my contract in. This took 2 people to realize that I wasn't asking for a different car...i just wanted to get a contract that would get me the car they assigned me.

Local locations can't be that bad, I can't expense a taxi to Carolinas Place and wouldn't ever leave my car in that parking lot...but it is looking much better.
Old May 27, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
CLT is bad. First trip I managed to get a Caliber with Sirius, but the second I got an Impala with some sort of dangerous front end or subframe rattle. Same trip they dropped me at a spot with no car--there was supposed to be an SUV there. At least I've never had to wait too long for the Avis-operated bus. Fortunately I'm done visiting Charlotte for now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.