Wiki Posts
Search

Refueling at EWR w/gas rationing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Refueling at EWR w/gas rationing

Tried a quick search but did not find anything.

I am renting a one way from a smaller out-station (to drop off at EWR) this week for return on Wed 11/14. I purposely reserved a larger vehicle due to extra passengers and luggage. If for some reason I don't get a car with an even numbered license plate that allows me to refuel in NJ that day, what is my best option?

1) Return partially empty? What is the current refueling charge? Did they raise it recently due to the gas shortage?

2) Buy the Fuel Purchase Option? I usually never do this because it is normally not a good move financially -- I only have to drive about 100 miles so the tank won't be totally empty.

3) Ask for another car - this is the obvious choice, but as I'm renting from a smaller station and need a big car there is no guarantee that this will be possible.

Would appreciate some insight from someone who has rented from/to EWR recently (since Sandy).
Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Most and I should say almost all gas stations are open on Route 1 now. Most don't strictly enforce the rule of odd or even plate numbers, especially if they are not busy. Those franchise owners want $$$$$$$.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
best option?

Seems to me the best option for you is to take the prepay fuel deal if you get the wrong plate even though it is a poor deal. Seems to me the rental location would be able too tell you the plate number before the contract is signed. If you cannot fill up because you have the wrong plate the downside monetarily is worse than the prepay fuel option. So I would go prepay if the plate number is wrong for the day I am dropping off.

The hassle isn't worth the few bucks
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by darben
Seems to me the best option for you is to take the prepay fuel deal if you get the wrong plate even though it is a poor deal. Seems to me the rental location would be able too tell you the plate number before the contract is signed. If you cannot fill up because you have the wrong plate the downside monetarily is worse than the prepay fuel option. So I would go prepay if the plate number is wrong for the day I am dropping off.

The hassle isn't worth the few bucks
i agree, i also don't see lines at gas station anymore these days.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Odd-even restrictions on gasoline sales in NJ have now been lifted. They continue in NYC, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.