Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Hi guys,

My wife and I are renting a car mainly for the long drive from MIA - MCO and return, with shorter journeys in between. I usually go for a premium or luxury car (for a treat), but wonder whether an SUV would be better as it gives better visibility. I'd be grateful for your opinions.

Also, is the BAEC website the best place to book the car?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by botham
Hi guys,

My wife and I are renting a car mainly for the long drive from MIA - MCO and return, with shorter journeys in between. I usually go for a premium or luxury car (for a treat), but wonder whether an SUV would be better as it gives better visibility. I'd be grateful for your opinions.

The Moderator may want to move this to a new thread as it isn't really related to the OP. But anyhow, SUV's are nice and easy to get now since the price of petrol is so high in the US (yet quite cheap by UK and EU standards). If you have a corporate wizard number that might work best. Or if you have Platinum or Centurion Amex they have good pricing. Otherwise, sure check the BAEC site as well as Avis.com.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
The Moderator may want to move this to a new thread as it isn't really related to the OP. But anyhow, SUV's are nice and easy to get now since the price of petrol is so high in the US (yet quite cheap by UK and EU standards). If you have a corporate wizard number that might work best. Or if you have Platinum or Centurion Amex they have good pricing. Otherwise, sure check the BAEC site as well as Avis.com.
Thanks.

Which thread should I have posted it on?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

Which thread should I have posted it on?
It's fine to create a new one, unless you see a recent thread with a similar question as yours.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:17 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I would say an SUV is a waste. Plus you'll be getting horrible gas mileage. Stick with the luxury.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:53 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

If anyone feels that a post is better suited for a different/new thread, click on the "Report Bad Thread" link, which is the red and white triangle below the user name on a post. This will alert the moderators that the thread might be better off somewhere else.

Hi guys,

I would suggest that you only book an SUV when one of the following three are true:
  • You need to haul large items that won't fit in a sedan
  • The higher seats in an SUV are more comfortable for you or if you have difficulty getting into/out of lower sedans
  • You need 4-wheel drive (but Avis SUV's don't always have them)

Otherwise, I'd say a premium car would be the way to go. Many Avis "premium" cars aren't really premium IMO (Avalon, 300, etc) so you might be fine just booking a full-size (I had an Avalon a few weeks ago and still want to put together a ride report, so stay tuned).

As for the "best place to book the car", it depends on what you mean by "best". If you're looking for cheapest, be sure to check out kayak.com and you can use the discount thread on this forum to find out if any AWDs (that you qualify for ) will give you a lower rate through Avis.com.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other reasons for an SUV are...

1. When you feel the need to dominate over others.
2. You have never had the opportunity to try an SUV.
3. When you come from Europe and the price of gasoline in the US seems, even now, dirt cheap.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
If anyone feels that a post is better suited for a different/new thread, click on the "Report Bad Thread" link, which is the red and white triangle below the user name on a post. This will alert the moderators that the thread might be better off somewhere else.

Thanks, I did just that after Stimpys kind remark this morning.

Thanks also for you advice on vehicle type. I'll keep following the reports and book in the new year.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Back on topic: I just added the new-ish GM crossovers (GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave) along with the Lincoln Navigator; which I got from DTW.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:05 pm

I rented a compact at SMF and Avis gave me a Nissan Versa, not on list.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colfax
I rented a compact at SMF and Avis gave me a Nissan Versa, not on list.
Thanks! I have that one at the bottom on the "Unknown Classification" list. Can you check your online profile/receipt to see what class it states that you were given? The way some of their vehicles fall anymore, they might consider it full size
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:36 pm

My contract says Nissan Versa is Group B. 18,000 miles.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:47 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Thanks! I have that one at the bottom on the "Unknown Classification" list. Can you check your online profile/receipt to see what class it states that you were given? The way some of their vehicles fall anymore, they might consider it full size
Originally Posted by Colfax
My contract says Nissan Versa is Group B. 18,000 miles.
Yup - I also confirmed this back in June on this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11988086-post39.html
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Yup - I also confirmed this back in June on this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11988086-post39.html
Oops, I missed that one. I guess my wife was right: I'm not perfect. The thread is updated. Thanks again to everyone for the updates; keep them coming!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Was going through the list and noted the following vehicles that should be printed in orange, since they are out of production:
  • Chevrolet Trailblazer
  • GMC Envoy
  • Pontiac Grand Prix
  • Volkswagen City Jetta

Also, I guess technically all the Pontiacs, Saabs, Saturns and Hummers could be highlighted too, since they are all on a downward slope due to GM's restructuring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.