New to Avis

Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
New to Avis

I am about to give-up on Hertz and thinking of switching to Avis. I am President's Circle with H, I know there is the Avis First scheme but is it active in the UK? Is it only for corporate accounts?

I rent 30~40 times each year and have complete flexbility about the rental company. Based in the UK, at the moment I rent mainly here, Germany, Denmark & Poland - from regional airports as well as LHR/FRF, CPH, etc.

Aplogies if this is covered elsewhere - I can't seem to find a UK-specific answer!

Many thanks in advance for input
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by AyrMiles
I am about to give-up on Hertz and thinking of switching to Avis. I am President's Circle with H, I know there is the Avis First scheme but is it active in the UK? Is it only for corporate accounts?

I rent 30~40 times each year and have complete flexbility about the rental company. Based in the UK, at the moment I rent mainly here, Germany, Denmark & Poland - from regional airports as well as LHR/FRF, CPH, etc.

Aplogies if this is covered elsewhere - I can't seem to find a UK-specific answer!

Many thanks in advance for input
Avis has a UK blog that may be able to help you:
http://wetryharder.co.uk/
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
I can only speak from the US perspective, but you'll be sorely disappointed in the Avis First program when compared to Hertz President's Circle. Check the forum for threads noting a significant downplay in service for Avis First members including a consistent lack of upgrades.

My advice: stay where you are or consider an alternative option. The grass is not greener over here.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Many thanks for your input. I had tried the blog but couldn't find a way to effectively search it - couldn't face trawling all the way through the typically self-satisfied advertorial!

I do have some doubts about Avis - my experience used to be of uniformly boring cars - but I have definitely HAD IT with Hertz. I sent my PC card, cut in two, back to them on Friday after abysmal treatment from the Stansted branch.

If there are no real benefits from sticking with Avis, I'll just be a "rate tart" - using whoever offers me the best deal. At this stage, I am quite impressed by Sixt in Germany and Denmark but their locations are no good in the UK (off airport) so Europcar (with the benefit of Bmi miles) perhaps?

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.