FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   List your upgrades! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/595752-list-your-upgrades.html)

IceTrojan Aug 29, 2006 3:03 am

List your upgrades!

This is a total knockoff of the thread in Hertz... but what's good for the goose... :)

The listing is slightly different... but let's list your:

- Location.
- Class Reserved (let's just go with class names like "mid-size" rather than code)
- Car Received (with any notes about the car, if you want).
- Your status.

You may begin.

Buster Aug 29, 2006 12:54 pm

My experience is generally limited to 1 airport, but here goes:

- Class Reserved: Intermediate (Group C)
- Class Received: Intermediate SUV (Group F)

I've rented probably 10 times or so from PDX with the same experience all times but 1, where I was upgraded to a Full Size (Group E). My rentals are generally for the weekend (pickup Friday, return Sunday or Monday), and the one exception occurred when I booked for a full week (during a holiday week as well).

keeton Aug 30, 2006 6:48 pm

Location - MCO
Class reserved - Full size ("Chevy Impala or similar")
Car received - Volvo S60
Status - Preferred Select

Trust me, this is NOT a normal upgrade (but appreciated!).

ipd054 Aug 30, 2006 8:02 pm

- Class Reserved: Intermediate (Group C)
- Class Received: Cady DTS (Only no other car)

flyerman770 Aug 30, 2006 10:30 pm

I ALWAYS reserve Full Size, so I wont write it every time. and I dont remember a time I wasnt upgraded... I'm only writing the times I remember throughout the past 9 months.

Car Recieved: Lincoln Town Car (for 19.99 p/d)

Car Recieved: GMC Yukon XL (21.99 p/d)

Car Recieved: Buick Rendezvous

Car Recieved: Pontiac Montana

Car Recieved: Lincoln Town Car (on a Free Weekend Cert... $6.09 for 2 days)

Car Recieved: Ford Minivan

Car Recieved: Lincoln Zephyr

Car Recieved: Chevrolet Uplander

Car Recieved: Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT

Car Recieved: Chrysler 300

Car Recieved: Chrysler 300

GoodKarmaGuy Sep 3, 2006 11:22 am

As a new Chairman's:

MCO
intermediate reserved
upgraded to a CTS :)

PSP
intermediate reserved
upgraded to Buick Lucerne :(

--------------------------------------------

Note that the new Lucernes are very sporty looking and come w/ XM radio... but handles terribly at 70-80 mph (70mph is the speed limit here) and the a/c really struggles to cool the car.

I was disappointed in the car choice. It is Palm Springs after all and I'm on my last vacation for a verrrrry long time. (The mgr at the location said it was the best available at the time of my rental and that it was a "brand new car and has all the bells and whistles".)

Of course it is Palm Springs, after all and there are probably more premium and luxury rentals?

Sigh.

SusanDK Sep 5, 2006 3:12 am

Originally Posted by keeton
Location - MCO
Car received - Volvo S60
Status - Preferred Plus

Wow, I'd kill for that upgrade!

My last few rentals:

Class reserved: Full size
Car received: Lincoln Town Car

Car received: Cadillac DeVille

Car received: Premium class (can't remember the exact car)

Susan

heffa Sep 5, 2006 10:19 am

I'm not sure what this thread is going to...

... but we're all here at least Prefered and we all get upgrades all the times. So what???

BDL Flyer Sep 6, 2006 6:57 pm

I'm preferred select...

May @ YYZ
Rented: intermediate
Received almost new Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. Nice SUV.

May @ OMA
Rented: full size
Received: Hyundai Sonata

June @ ORD:
Received: Hyundai Sonata

June @ LAS:
Rented intermediate
Received: a "new" malibu (not the classic)
Nothing special about the car - -but there was a SUPER friendly avis guy waiting after I got off the bus that greeted me by name ..

June @ LAX:
Rented intermediate
Received: PT Cruiser

July @ MCI:
Rented intermediate class
Received PT Cruiser...had 9999 miles when I picked it up
2 day rental

August @ ERI:
Rented: Standard
Received: Ford Mustang...brakes were very warped - after only 12,000 miles
3 day rental

August @ PIT
Received: Taurus. Absolutely nothing memorable about the car.

Yesterday @ FLL:
Rented: Intermediate
Received: Hyundai Ashtray - oops Sonata...24k miles and smoky, but otherwise fine.... 6 hour rental. Was parked with 3 volvos on one side, and 2 on the other...... As I was walking downt the aisle, I thought that this would finally be the time that I got a killer upgrade.....

IceTrojan Sep 6, 2006 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by BDL Flyer
I'm preferred select...

May @ YYZ
Received almost new Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. Nice SUV.

Just out of curiosity, was it white with the goldish undercarriage? If it was and it pulled to the right... sorry :D

keeton Sep 7, 2006 4:24 am

I reported on a great upgrade at MCO, but here's the other side of the coin:

- Class reserved: Full-size (Impala or similar)
- Car received: A very tired Suzuki SUV

Since I had a two hour drive ahead of me, I went to the Preferred booth and refused the Suzuki. Interestingly, there were two people in line ahead of me refusing their cars as well! When they got to me, the only thing they could offer in my class was a Hyundai Sonata with 25k miles ("It's going to be a SUV, sir..."). They finally found a Trailblazer with lower mileage which is what I accepted.

A non-upgraded Impala would have been nice at this point.

MileageAddict Sep 9, 2006 8:31 am

Location - MCO
Car received - Volvo S60

My favorite Avis location in the US pulled through for me yet again. The manager, Mr. Allen is a top-notch guy.

Location - ATL
Car received - Lincoln Town Car with 90 miles on the odometer

ezmonee Sep 10, 2006 4:38 am

One thing that people forget is that cars are checking in, coming back from oil change, and light bulbs and other items repaired all day long. When your contract is pulled up, its based on best available at the moment when the contract is pulled up.

If your willing to jump through hoops to get your upgrade, then you can get pretty much anything. But there comes a point when enough is enough.

Not to point fingers, or to the OP who I am replying to, but people need to understand the following.

1> PS and Presidents club members get the two class upgrade or one class upgrade as appropriate within their car group class.

If you book a full size, as a presidents club, you are NOT entitled to a CADI. Your entitled to a premium. You are also not entitled to a Van, SUV, Mini SUV, Full size SUV , 12 Passenger Van, Hummer, Volvo, or dodge durango pickup.

There are three subgroups within the car groups.

Sedans. class A, B, C, D, E, G
specialty Class F, H, K, S, W, Z, P
premium specialty X

Your upgrades are within these groups. Book an A, Get a B (PS) or C (PCI)

If you book an E and get an H, that is an operational decision made by the airport manager. Not because that is the upgrade path you are on.

Depending upon availablity, a manager may elect to go outside the normal upgrade paths to give you a car. that is their discretion and not bound by any upgrade rules. And under ANY circumstances, even if you see 500 cars on the lot of the exact type you want. If the manager says "this impala is yours" and you reserved an impala, then they are under no obligation to give it to you. You dont know if they have a 700 Car group coming through for a convention. And its not avis' place to tell you either.

So when demanding any upgrade, remember the above!

*Yeah I recently got into it with a perferred select customer. Hence my tone*

I reported on a great upgrade at MCO, but here's the other side of the coin:

- Class reserved: Full-size (Impala or similar)
- Car received: A very tired Suzuki SUV

Since I had a two hour drive ahead of me, I went to the Preferred booth and refused the Suzuki. Interestingly, there were two people in line ahead of me refusing their cars as well! When they got to me, the only thing they could offer in my class was a Hyundai Sonata with 25k miles ("It's going to be a SUV, sir..."). They finally found a Trailblazer with lower mileage which is what I accepted.

A non-upgraded Impala would have been nice at this point.

IceTrojan Sep 10, 2006 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ezmonee
So when demanding any upgrade, remember the above!

*Yeah I recently got into it with a perferred select customer. Hence my tone*

See, now we're all curious as to what went down!

Very good post... and of course, it's never a good thing to demand anything. A polite request stands a better chance. In the past when I was a non-status (and I guess this is true with all car companies), I've witnessed many customers huffing/puffing about not getting an upgrade they want, and I could only keep it go myself. Then I'd walk up, smile, sympathize, and politely asked for a particular car, if it was available of course. And usually, it was... if not, a reasonable alternative was offered.

At least nowadays I don't have to politely request as much :D It amazing to me that people still think yelling/screaming at someone will get them what they want.

john93711 Sep 10, 2006 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ezmonee
1> PS and Presidents club members get the two class upgrade or one class upgrade as appropriate within their car group class.

If you book a full size, as a presidents club, you are NOT entitled to a CADI. Your entitled to a premium. You are also not entitled to a Van, SUV, Mini SUV, Full size SUV , 12 Passenger Van, Hummer, Volvo, or dodge durango pickup.

I have a letter from Robert Salerno (President and CEO) informing me-as a President's Club member-that I am entitled to "Complimentary two-car-level upgrades whenever available, when you reserve an Intermediate-level car or higher."

I don't feel entitled to a Premium car, if I reserve a Full-Size vehicle I feel entitled to an upgrade up to a Cadillac "whenever available".

Thankfully I've formed a great relationship with the manager of the local Avis, so I've never had a problem with "hidden" inventory