Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I was surprised by how well it drove. Sure, it wasn't as nimble as a 2-dr sports car, but it drove much better than minivans or others as large as the Flex. I quite like it. I also had one around Boston and it wasn't too big for the city for a few days.

(Off-topic, but we'll go there anyway )

Which MK, the MKT? That's what FMC is pushing to replace the defunct Town Car for fleet/limos. I agree it doesn't look nice at all when stretched, but there isn't too much else for limos these days (maybe 300, Expedition/Navigator, Escalade.. can't think of any others currently in production. I'd like to see a stretch XTS to replace the DTS)
Plus the MKT Town Car is usually even more spartanly equipped than the usual retail MKTs that Avis carries. So try not to rent an MKT Town Car!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:20 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Plus the MKT Town Car is usually even more spartanly equipped than the usual retail MKTs that Avis carries. So try not to rent an MKT Town Car!
Absolutely! Luckily, I've only seen the MKT-TC in ORD, where they had quite a few black ones.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Which MK, the MKT? That's what FMC is pushing to replace the defunct Town Car for fleet/limos. I agree it doesn't look nice at all when stretched, but there isn't too much else for limos these days (maybe 300, Expedition/Navigator, Escalade.. can't think of any others currently in production. I'd like to see a stretch XTS to replace the DTS)
Sorry I didn't look close enough to read the plaque and I have only rented the new Lincoln's a couple times. Is the classic town car really gone? I rented one last December I think at LAX. I will miss them.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Is the classic town car really gone? I rented one last December I think at LAX. I will miss them.
Yup. The last TC was made in August 2011, as Ford finally put the old Panther platform to rest. (WIKI) While the TC looks iconic and was a sign of luxury for a while, Ford let it go without any updates for WAY too long. Driving one near the end was a true step back in time.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
I can't find an MKT Town Car, all I see is an SUV. Is this the TC you're talking about? Or do you mean the MKZ which is an actual car.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Impaul4
I can't find an MKT Town Car, all I see is an SUV. Is this the TC you're talking about? Or do you mean the MKZ which is an actual car.
Lincoln makes 4 SUV's:
1. Navigator (rebadged Ford Expedition)
2. MKX (rebadged Ford Edge)
3. MKT - the 7-passenger SUV that's been on rental lots a few years now. Some love it (like me, minus the styling that isn't perfect) and some hate it.
4. MKT Town Car - It's the same as 3, but only 5 seats (the cargo are looks like it's missing carpeting/coverings for support braces) and has very poor options for a Lincoln. The only exterior way to tell the MKT and MKT Town Car is that the TC says "Town Car" on the front doors, about in line with the center of the rims (you can barely see it in this picture). Since Ford didn't have the Town Car sedan to sell to fleets (black-car, limos, etc), they made this version. They are also selling it to Avis.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by stimpy
Personally I like them as a rental car, however today I passed a stretch MK limo on a highway in Florida which was the UGLIest limo I have ever seen.
http://capricornluxury.com/wp-conten...h1-600x280.png

Did it look like this?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:38 am

Lincoln makes 4 SUV's:
1. Navigator (rebadged Ford Expedition)
2. MKX (rebadged Ford Edge)
3. MKT - the 7-passenger SUV that's been on rental lots a few years now. Some love it (like me, minus the styling that isn't perfect) and some hate it.
4. MKT Town Car - It's the same as 3, but only 5 seats (the cargo are looks like it's missing carpeting/coverings for support braces) and has very poor options for a Lincoln. The only exterior way to tell the MKT and MKT Town Car is that the TC says "Town Car" on the front doors, about in line with the center of the rims (you can barely see it in this picture). Since Ford didn't have the Town Car sedan to sell to fleets (black-car, limos, etc), they made this version. They are also selling it to Avis.
Ah. I was looking for an actual car. Most limo companies now use a Mercedes or older Town Car for use with their private car service.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I have seen the Corvette in FLL and MIA for an extra $200 per day and thought it was over priced. But if I see the '14 Stingray at RSW for my honeymoon, it's mine. I'll even pay full upgrade price (even though I could talk them down $50-$100).
I doubt we'll see the stingray at Avis/Hertz lots for at least the first 6-12 months of production since Chevy will be busy selling all they can make to the enthusiasts willing to plop down the full $60-70k msrp.

I agree with your sentiment though, if I see a stingray available for rent, I'll likely pony up the dough for at least a 1 day rental to experience it.

I rented a 2009 corvette coupe from hertz in Seattle back in 2009 and wow, what a blast. Such a different driving experience, both good/bad from my former mustang 5.0 and current M3.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Teamstone
Don't think so. But I only really noticed the front and back.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by dchen2
I doubt we'll see the stingray at Avis/Hertz lots for at least the first 6-12 months of production since Chevy will be busy selling all they can make to the enthusiasts willing to plop down the full $60-70k msrp.

I agree with your sentiment though, if I see a stingray available for rent, I'll likely pony up the dough for at least a 1 day rental to experience it.

I rented a 2009 corvette coupe from hertz in Seattle back in 2009 and wow, what a blast. Such a different driving experience, both good/bad from my former mustang 5.0 and current M3.
I'll take even the basic Corvette for a week. But the rate as it sits right now is $724 for the week, a little high for my taste.

I'm thinking of taking a chance at booking a full size and just upgrading when I get there.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:28 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Reserved: Intermediate
Requested (by phone): Forester or something interesting
Offered: Chrysler 300, Nissan Pathfinder, Ford Taurus, a few others I forgot
Accepted: Nissan Pathfinder

It's solid and honest in its class -- which is to say, mid-level 3-row crossover. I'd probably take it over an MKT if I needed seating for 5 passengers. But next time I'll request the Escape Titanium that I saw a few slots down when I returned the Pathfinder.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:26 pm

I just got put on a trip for work to LA. Would I have a better chance at an upgrade with Avis or Hertz at LAX ?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:52 pm

I just got put on a trip for work to LA. Would I have a better chance at an upgrade with Avis or Hertz at LAX ?
VERY tough to say based upon many factors: what's available at each when you show-up, your Hertz status (I don't know much about theirs), the agent, the wind speed/direction, etc
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:28 pm

VERY tough to say based upon many factors: what's available at each when you show-up, your Hertz status (I don't know much about theirs), the agent, the wind speed/direction, etc
Very true. I am a Hertz Five Star and Avis First member. With my company I book compact (have to) and usually as I'm arriving at my destination I get an email from Avis with the car info and stall of the rental. Every time has been an upgrade to Intermediate or FS.

I want to try Hertz but I don't want to be stuck in a compact and hope the Five Star status gets me a comp upgrade to an Intermediate or FS, from there I would haggle to get something exotic or fun.

From my research Hertz tends to have "funner" cars and more exotic ones. I want to take my chances with them but it's hard to when I have gotten nice upgrades every time with Avis. I am switching because Avis doesn't seem to have exotic or "fun" cars that I couldn't get elsewhere. Looks like the typical Camaros and Mustangs, with the chance of a Corvette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.